Has anyone done a Solar Eclipse cruise in the past?

Dee_Jay

We're booked on the Emerald Princess for next year's total solar eclipse.  One of my friends asked a good question.  Is there enough room on the outside upper decks for all passengers (and probably many crew members) to watch the eclipse?  Any pictures of the crowds would be great!

I took my very first cruise to see the total solar eclipse in the Caribbean in 1998. It was on, I think, the Carnival Fascination, at the time one of their biggest ships. I can't find my photos but I don't remember any problem finding deck space - we were hanging out at the rear pool because my 3-year-old was playing in the water during the eclipse. It wasn't wall-to-wall people so I think there will be plenty of space!

I'm also booked on the Emerald for next year's eclipse. I think it will be amazing!

I was on the Veendam in 1998.  

This topic has been discussed in one of the Discovery Princess threads.

Here is some info on the location of the sun for the eclipse in Mazatlan.

More on visibility:

At Mazatlan the time and  altitude are:

1st Contact-the start of the partial phase: 9:51AM and 53.8 degrees

2nd Contact-the start of totality: 11:07:25 and 68.8 degrees

3rd Contact-the end of totality: 11:11:45 and 69.5 degrees

4th Contact-end of the partial phase and end of the eclipse: 12:32 and 73.3 degrees 

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/mexico/mazatlan?iso=20240408

I was on the Golden with a partial eclipse late in the afternoon a very, very, very long time ago.  It was not advertised as such.  I and one other passenger was up on the Lido deck.  I had my amateur "glasses".  The other guy had a welder's glass.  (Guess who was more prepared?).  We tried to elicit interest, but only a few took a passing moment to look up at the sun.

The crew will probably take advantage of the bow of the ship where their recreation area is.  The Emerald will have more viewing areas than the Discovery.  I'm guessing that there may be 25% - 50% who will actually view the eclipse in its entirety.  Most will wander in and out.  

I also did one in San Diego.  It was cloudy that day.  Actually had to go into the auditorium to watch the eclipse unfold from the Observatory on Mauna Kea.  Hoping you all have good weather.  It should be a fun event.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was on the Golden with a partial eclipse late in the afternoon a very, very, very long time ago.  It was not advertised as such.  I and one other passenger was up on the Lido deck.  I had my amateur "glasses".  The other guy had a welder's glass.  (Guess who was more prepared?).  We tried to elicit interest, but only a few took a passing moment to look up at the sun.

The crew will probably take advantage of the bow of the ship where their recreation area is.  The Emerald will have more viewing areas than the Discovery.  I'm guessing that there may be 25% - 50% who will actually view the eclipse in its entirety.  Most will wander in and out.  

I also did one in San Diego.  It was cloudy that day.  Actually had to go into the auditorium to watch the eclipse unfold from the Observatory on Mauna Kea.  Hoping you all have good weather.  It should be a fun event.

San Diego would have also been partial for the  one in 1991.

Seeing a total in person is a completely different experience.

You really can’t fully describe it.  It is like a woman trying to describe to me what it is like to give birth.  They can talk about it all day and I will still have no clue.  

Many people after the one in 2017 told me it was a life changing experience.  

I wish everyone clear skies.

• Like 1

We were on the Dawn Princess November 2012 for a total solar eclipse in Australia.  When we booked it the total eclipse was just a bonus but it became one of the highlights of the trip.  I do not have any photos of the people but if I remember right there was many people on deck some with tripods and looooong lensed cameras ( there was a group of eclipse chasers on board) but you could find space. We reserved The Sanctuary for the morning eclipse I believe it was about double the price but included a beautiful breakfast with champagne and I would recommend it if it is available for your cruise.

Edited by sandyoftheseas

We were on the Carnival Jubilee in 1991 for the total eclipse. Very different ship, of course, from either the Emerald or the Discovery. I can't really say as to available deck space, since I dragged us out way early to stake out a prime spot on an open deck aft. We only left that prime spot in shifts.