Stateroom Internet on Millenium

phbr

We're on the April 23 Eastern out of Fort Lauderdale.

Can anyone confirm what the speed of a stateroom connection is and if there are wireless 'hot spots' available.

Thanks

Hi,

Looking at my cruise docs now. This is a direct quote from them.

"Bring your laptop along to use on the ship. Wireless and dial in access are available on some but not all ships. For exactly what is available on your ship see http://www.CelebrityAtSea.com. For complete details of the Online@Celebrity program please visit the CelebrityAt Sea web site, www.CelebrityAtSea.com."

Hope answers your question.

We're on the April 23 Eastern out of Fort Lauderdale.

Can anyone confirm what the speed of a stateroom connection is and if there are wireless 'hot spots' available.

The in-cabin speed is comparable (or worse) than a dial-up. In the last few years, it has become horribly expensive. It's really very frustrating, especially since you're paying by the minute.

I don't know of any wireless hot spots.

What works for me is my GSM Treo650. Throughout a European cruise on the Constellation, I ued it to get all my email, and also to send illustrated messages back to the folks.

There are wireless hotspots on the M-Class ships. From what I could see the signal was strongest near the center of the ship around the glass elevators. I was able to get strong signals near the internet cafe, and the training class. Speeds are a bit sluggish.

Wireless hot spot is in the mid-ship area on M-Class, at least the Summit. If you sit in a chair by the mid ship elevators (there are some nice chairs there on all levels) there will be a good signal, at least there was for me on past 2 Summit cruises. Can also sit in/by the library or other mid ship location. That is the good news, bad news is that internet speed is very slow. Dial up speed or slower, no better in internet cafe. I've heard of people with mid-ship rooms getting wireless in their room, but you'd have to be very close to mid-ship and lucky at that.

Wireless rate was the same as for internet cafe, something like $0.75/minute. Very expensive for a slow connect, but at least you can check your email and get a minimal amount of info.

In Oct email programs like Outlook didn't work on laptops, although they did on prior cruise. So be prepared to use a browser based email service if necessary, even if you bring a laptop.

Thanks for the information. I've had mixed experiences so far with RCI. On the 'Serenade' in Alaska, the cabin connection was reasonably fast (newer ship, I suppose) while on the Voyager, I gave the antiquated cabin connection back and just used the computers in the library. I've seen snails move faster !!!.

Archived