Bike Rentals

Gail Boertzel

Anyone had any experience with renting bikes on Cozumel and exploring on your own? Is it safe? I know there are lots of bike paths which would be nice not to have to ride on same roadway as car traffic. Hoping to escape the thousands of people that will be in port the day we are there in October. Thanks

5 hours ago, Gail Boertzel said:

Anyone had any experience with renting bikes on Cozumel and exploring on your own? Is it safe? I know there are lots of bike paths which would be nice not to have to ride on same roadway as car traffic. Hoping to escape the thousands of people that will be in port the day we are there in October. Thanks

If you use the search engine there are certainly some reviews. There are several options for different types of experiences- independent, accompanied in town tour, and electric bikes out of town at Punta Surr or east coast.

I think practicality depends on which port you are docking at, which supplier you are using and what sort of ride you envisage?

There are certainly some “bike lanes” and some reasonably bike protected roads but i think a lot depends on what you are expecting and where you want to go. I wouldn’t say “lots of bike paths”. If you are a really avid cyclist the participants in the Ironman race go round the island several times so it is possible. In town unless you know where you are going i would take extreme care as many streets are one-way.

I am not sure what aspect if safety you are concerned about?

Edited by c-leg5

12 hours ago, Gail Boertzel said:

Yes.  We have done it both land and cruise.  Unfortunately you will have to ride in town for a bit until you get to a path.  But once on, it's fun.  We did e bikes and regular.  Definitely recommend e bike.  

As in any bike riding anywhere in the world, you need to be aware of your surroundings.  Jerks are everywhere.  I almost got hit 1 mile from my house this past weekend IN a bike lane.  

We have done the island loop but were staying in Cozumel at the time.  We have gone north and south of San Miquel when on cruises.  We have made it down to Punta Sur entrance and back on a cruise day.  

There are also bike tours to the east side if you are interested.  

Thanks for the info. I was thinking we wouldn't need e-bikes because the island is pretty flat??

We are on a Viking ship which I think may dock at Punta Langosta (will that be a tender)? If so, which bike shop would be the closest? We are recreational cyclists and would do it independently. We would just use the bikes as are means of transportation for the day, getting out of town as quickly as possible.

13 hours ago, Gail Boertzel said:

Thanks for the info. I was thinking we wouldn't need e-bikes because the island is pretty flat??

We are on a Viking ship which I think may dock at Punta Langosta (will that be a tender)? If so, which bike shop would be the closest? We are recreational cyclists and would do it independently. We would just use the bikes as are means of transportation for the day, getting out of town as quickly as possible.

We used Beach bum for our e bikes.  You'd have to take a cab.  But we also used Best Bikes for normal biking.  It's probably your better bet since it's closer.  Those are the 2 I'd recommend.