Wifi question

JMMM2323

We've never used wifi when cruising before, but our oldest will need to be working remotely a couple of days while we're on a cruise this winter...Bahamas or Caribbean (not sure if location matters).  Anyway, for those who have paid for a wifi package, does it work well enough to work...more than just checking email and social media 🙂?  He's planning to work on the at sea days, so using data in port isn't an option.  

15 minutes ago, JMMM2323 said:

We've never used wifi when cruising before, but our oldest will need to be working remotely a couple of days while we're on a cruise this winter...Bahamas or Caribbean (not sure if location matters).  Anyway, for those who have paid for a wifi package, does it work well enough to work...more than just checking email and social media 🙂?  He's planning to work on the at sea days, so using data in port isn't an option.  

Welcome to Cruise Critic

I am not sure what "work" is beyond emails. E.g., When I "work" I edit material on my laptop and send work product out over email or uploaded directly to corporate servers. I make sure that I have everything that I need on my laptop.  

If you son's work requires highly interactive exchanges with off-ship systems (day trading), then it will be very slow for him. You're sharing a satellite internet link with thousands of your new friends on the ship who specifically are passing their time on sea days. 

You won’t be able to stay connected constantly since the ship moves. Video calls might be an issue so you might have to switch to audio and hope you stay connected for the duration of the call.

Certain things might not work like your work vpn or remote PC and there really isn’t much you can do when it doesn’t.

Plenty of people find a way to make it work but I personally wouldn’t even bother.

My husband has worked on Getaway before. We did this on a NYC to Bermuda cruise and a NYC to Bahamas cruise. The unlimited streaming package worked well for Zoom, email, updating data in software portals, etc. For Zoom he did have to be off camera and wasn't able to share his screen too well. We were able to make some WiFi calls on our NYC to Bermuda cruise, but not the NYC to Bahamas trip. 

The availability of WiFi is going to depend on the ship, number of souls onboard, and where in the world you are. Our experience was decent, but shouldn't set the expectations for your son's experience.