Mobile phone

daydreamer16

Hi 

Our mobile phone carrier here in the US does not have an international plan. We are planning to be in Australia for 2 weeks  & then a couple of cruises. I'd like to buy a cheap phone loaded with a bunch of minutes to use while in Australia & possibly cruise stops in NZ. We will be in Sydney for 4 days staying in the Rocks area. Can someone recommend a place to buy a mobile phone that can be loaded with minutes?  Many thanks!

18 minutes ago, daydreamer16 said:

Hi 

Our mobile phone carrier here in the US does not have an international plan. We are planning to be in Australia for 2 weeks  & then a couple of cruises. I'd like to buy a cheap phone loaded with a bunch of minutes to use while in Australia & possibly cruise stops in NZ. We will be in Sydney for 4 days staying in the Rocks area. Can someone recommend a place to buy a mobile phone that can be loaded with minutes?  Many thanks!

Where do you plan on calling?  The US?

43 minutes ago, daydreamer16 said:

No, just local, I'd like to be able to make dinner reservations, confirm tours, emergency etc.

From a practical perspective, you're going to need separate SIMs for Australia and New Zealand.  Can you go without the phone for the NZ portion of your travels?

10 hours ago, d9704011 said:

From a practical perspective, you're going to need separate SIMs for Australia and New Zealand.  Can you go without the phone for the NZ portion of your travels?

Yes, probably can, spending 4 days in Auckland & then a cruise.

5 hours ago, yarramar said:

This one is so cheap, you could get another one in NZ. 

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/optus-x-start-3-smartphone-43184095/

You may need to pay to unlock it so you can reuse it in the US

Great, will look into this! thanks for your help!

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, tiggrbaby said:

Would I be able to purchase a sim card and use it in an old Droid phone that is no longer on a network?

Maybe, the phone must be capable of receiving the radio frequencies that our networks use. https://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones/Guides/Will-my-phone-work-in-Australia-carrier-network-frequencies

Google your phone model and "radio frequencies"