Boarding Pass Says Negative Covid Test???

Jan.and.John

Hi everyone - 

I just checked in for my Athens-to-Barcelona cruise (Riviera) 5/11/2023, and on reading the fine print saw that we MUST bring proof of a negative Covid-19 test to the cruise terminal.

Seems like we noted this on our Riviera cruise last October and were told it was just old boilerplate wording, but at that time we DID need to provide vaccination info. That was easy, a test? not so much.

Does anyone have up-to-date information on this requirement?  Would it be specific to an Athens sailing? We will have been in Athens for a few days prior to embarkation.

Thanks, everyone!

Jan and John B

31 minutes ago, Jan.and.John said:

Hi everyone - 

I just checked in for my Athens-to-Barcelona cruise (Riviera) 5/11/2023, and on reading the fine print saw that we MUST bring proof of a negative Covid-19 test to the cruise terminal.

Seems like we noted this on our Riviera cruise last October and were told it was just old boilerplate wording, but at that time we DID need to provide vaccination info. That was easy, a test? not so much.

Does anyone have up-to-date information on this requirement?  Would it be specific to an Athens sailing? We will have been in Athens for a few days prior to embarkation.

Thanks, everyone!

Jan and John B

Read and follow the instructions. In addition, check the health requirements of every country, region and city where the ship will start/stop/end.

Why? In most cases these days, appropriately reported results of bona fide self-tests are acceptable and they’re free (at least until May in the US). In addition, it’s a common sense practice to protect yourself and others.

So, better safe than sorry.

That said, checking ALL of the possible authorities is extremely important. Why?

in our partial TransPacific from SYD this spring, neither O nor Australia required testing. But the State of New South Wales did require pre-cruise testing.

As you might expect, there were lots of O embarkers who were surprised when asked for their test results. (and unhappy when the had to pay $90 pp for a pier-side test)

There was, however, one humorous anecdote involving a post here on CC in our Roll Call: An Aussie informed us about the NSW test requirement to which someone replied: “That won’t affect us because we’re embarking in Sydney.”  ROTFL! 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Answering my own question, our TA contacted O (I gave up after way too long on hold) which replied "O has NO testing requirements. If there ARE any it would be the local jurisdiction."  So I checked on Greece, knowing that their Covid test requirement (only for cruisers, not for land travel) lingered much longer than other in other EU countries.

According to the internet (I know!) "Greece removed all Covid-19 testing for cruise passengers on 10 October 2022."  That was 6 months ago.

Thanks, Flatbush - hopefully my relaxed attitude won't cost us each 90 bucks in Piraeus!

1 hour ago, Jan.and.John said:

Answering my own question, our TA contacted O (I gave up after way too long on hold) which replied "O has NO testing requirements. If there ARE any it would be the local jurisdiction."  So I checked on Greece, knowing that their Covid test requirement (only for cruisers, not for land travel) lingered much longer than other in other EU countries.

According to the internet (I know!) "Greece removed all Covid-19 testing for cruise passengers on 10 October 2022."  That was 6 months ago.

Thanks, Flatbush - hopefully my relaxed attitude won't cost us each 90 bucks in Piraeus!

Just remember: Greece is a country while your ports have their own jurisdictions each, possibly, with its own requirements.

Not Greece, but On Nautica right now on Japan cruise and we were required to show vax record as well as proof of neg test no more than 3 days prior embarkation.  Time stamped photo of rapid test result, passport and test lot# was needed as proof.  We masked up and were extra careful in week leading up to flight to Tokyo.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your input.  What I don't understand is why I can't get a definitive yes-or-no answer for whether a pre-embarkation Covid test is required at Piraeus. I know Oceania doesn't require, but that apparently is not the issue.  I've looked at numerous websites, for the Port Authority and as stated above, see that a test is NOT required for cruisers "passing through" but that's not my question.  

Hasn't anyone embarked in Athens in the last month or two?  I'm asking because (1) I have a nasal problem that is greatly exacerbated by the test, and (2) am afraid of a false positive.

Thanks again (12 days until Riviera!)

Jan & John

53 minutes ago, Jan.and.John said:

... What I don't understand is why I can't get a definitive yes-or-no answer for whether a pre-embarkation Covid test is required at Piraeus. I know Oceania doesn't require, but that apparently is not the issue.  I've looked at numerous websites, for the Port Authority and as stated above, see that a test is NOT required for cruisers "passing through" but that's not my question. Hasn't anyone embarked in Athens in the last month or two?  I'm asking because (1) I have a nasal problem that is greatly exacerbated by the test, and (2) am afraid of a false positive.

For "definitive" COVID and medical/health information I use the US State Department and US Embassy in country. (Saved my COVID bacon when travelling to Paraguay in April 2022.) See also Greece's official government tourism/travel body/agency/department.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Hasn't anyone embarked in Athens in the last month or two?  I'm asking because (1) I have a nasal problem that is greatly exacerbated by the test, and (2) am afraid of a false positive.

It is the beginning of the European cruising season.  It is possible that on this board there are not any cruisers that have embarked in Athens.  Your questions may be better answered in the Ports Section of Cruise Critic or as suggested, by contacting the State Department.  As for myself, I would not take any advice I read here as Gospel truth.  Go to the source.

Terri

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 7:47 PM, clarku said:

Not Greece, but On Nautica right now on Japan cruise and we were required to show vax record as well as proof of neg test no more than 3 days prior embarkation.  Time stamped photo of rapid test result, passport and test lot# was needed as proof.  We masked up and were extra careful in week leading up to flight to Tokyo.

Japan's covid test/vax requirements to enter ended April 29.

4 hours ago, susiesan said:

Japan's covid test/vax requirements to enter ended April 29.

That’s the country’s requirement, which may be irrelevant if a state ( or equivalent) or a port city keeps its requirement. 
Perfect example is Australia (no test) vs New South Wales (test). On our recent cruise, there were many folks surprised with a pier-side test charge who had either not looked at the local requirement or, in a few instances, disregarded the knowledge that NSW did require it because they didn’t realize SYD is in NSW.