Lizard Peninsula Hike - Falmouth excursion

sallybrown2012

Has anyone done the "Hike the Lizard Peninsula" excursion out of Falmouth?  We are signed up for this on our June cruise, figuring it would be a nice break from buildings and museums.  The trip is advertised as 5 hours long, and it looks like we have 3-4 hours of it at the location - seems like a very long time even for a quite scenic area.  I'd love to hear about the experience if anyone has take it.  Thanks.

We really enjoyed this excursion. As you say, it was the chance to get some fresh air and made a nice break.

As I recall the drive was about an hour each way. The walk itself was just over 2 hours so if you add in toilet stops etc. then it probably comes to about five hours overall.

It was a circular walk from the pretty village of The Lizard and passed the lighthouse with huge foghorns, the hut from which Marconi made the first transatlantic radio broadcast and the Lloyd's signal station. There are fabulous views of the rocky coastline along the way.  

We found the hike fairly easy, but we do quite a lot of walking. I think for most Viking passengers it is correctly classed as strenuous. I have added a red arrow to the last of the images below to show the way the path goes up the hillside. There are a fews ups and downs along the way, but I think this one was the steepest.

L1000996.JPG

L1001009.JPG

L1001025.JPG

L1001050.JPG

L1001059.JPG

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 14.50.19.png

• Like 3

Thank you for the pictures!  We will have to try this one.   

You were fortunate to have a wonderful weather day!  Last time we were in Falmouth (on Viking), it was not so good weather and we took the included tour which also was not so good.  Won't do that again.

If the coach drop off/meet up is in the same place you should be able to walk about on your own and visit the pub, transatlantic cable beach etc. 

The clifftop coastal walk is a bit of a hike, but there isn't a necessity to follow it

• 2 weeks later...

Have not done this specifically, but have walked Inn to Inn along the Cornwall coast path, St Ives to Penzance.  I have also done many other inn to inn walks in England and Europe.  The Cornwall coast can be blessed with amazing weather and the views along the cliff tops are wonderful.  A nice break from the usual town tours.  Trails are well waymarked

• Like 1