Weight Watchers on Galaxy

LrdNorman

Has anyone ever cruised on the Galaxy and requested (the entire time) a healthy menu for the dinners and lunches? If so, did you end up with creative, gourment cuisine? Did they serve just vegetables? Was the Healthy Menu any good or did it taste bland?

I'm trying to watch my weight (on Weight Watchers). I would rather eat a portion of great food than get a lot of mediocre food. I've heard the food was great and, since this is only my third cruise, I want to make the most of this cruise.

Also, if I don't like the Healthy Menu, will they allow me to change my mind or am I stuck?

Before I call Celebrity and request the Healthy Menu, I was looking for feedback from anyone who might have done this.

If it helps, my wife and I will be going on the Best of the Mediterranean cruise out of Rome in July.

Thank you all for your help!

Kevin

Has anyone ever cruised on the Galaxy and requested (the entire time) a healthy menu for the dinners and lunches? If so, did you end up with creative, gourment cuisine? Did they serve just vegetables? Was the Healthy Menu any good or did it taste bland?

I'm trying to watch my weight (on Weight Watchers). I would rather eat a portion of great food than get a lot of mediocre food. I've heard the food was great and, since this is only my third cruise, I want to make the most of this cruise.

Also, if I don't like the Healthy Menu, will they allow me to change my mind or am I stuck?

Before I call Celebrity and request the Healthy Menu, I was looking for feedback from anyone who might have done this.

If it helps, my wife and I will be going on the Best of the Mediterranean cruise out of Rome in July.

Thank you all for your help!

Kevin

We're on Weight Watchers (points) and all I can tell you is that we were able to have just about anything we wanted and we gained some but lost it back in a week by going right back on plan at home.

On board we found ourselves NOT making dining such a focal point of each day's activities. We actually enjoyed each meal more. Oddly, we sort of "naturally" leaned towards selections we had some comprehension of what the point value would be even though we decided NOT to attempt to count.

I haven't been on the WW program in years -- finally made peace with being a Person of Size -- but OTOH, I don't want to get any bigger, and I can tell you it's not tough to eat good food and avoid weight gain while on board. Here are some suggestions:

--Exercise is really easy to get, even if you never set foot in the gym. Don't use the elevators. You can take the stairs everywhere.

--The breakfast buffet usually has plenty of fresh fruit as well as bread/bagel/cereal/yogurt offerings that you will find easy to "count."

--The lunch buffet always has a sandwich/salad bar (usually in the aft "grill" area near the covered pool -- this was the case on Galaxy's twin, Mercury). You can customize what you get. The regular buffet also usually has several excellent cold salads laden with fresh vegetables. I usually load up on these. Very filling and delicious. If you'd like to have a small amount of pasta, there's also a pasta bar where they will make you whatever you want - you can get any size amount, with any amount of sauce, or even (what I usually do) some olive oil and garlic. There is also a carving station most days so you can get a specified portion of lean meat.

--At dinner, as you already have learned, there are certain choices identified as "healthy" or "lean." The appetizer identified this way is almost always delightful -- a fruit compote, or a vegetable terrine, etc. You also can ask for some things not on the menu, like simple grilled chicken or steak. And if you decide some night to skip the dining room, you can go to the sushi bar (in the buffet area) if you like sushi -- takes a lot of those little rolls to add up to specified amounts of rice and fish!

I find it easier to eat healthy on the ship than at home ... and even without scrimping at dinner (I have bread & butter, and dessert) I haven't gained weight on a cruise yet (knock wood, we're on Galaxy for 12 days next month).

Oh, and my number 1 tip -- DON'T WASTE CALORIES ON BEVERAGES. I drink tons of water and unsweetened iced tea on board. Especially at dinner. I average less than 1 caloric beverage a day -- we go to Cova Cafe' several times per cruise for after-dinner coffee/liqueur drinks, and I have a tequila sunrise when that comes along as "drink of the day" (discounted), but otherwise, I save calories & money by not loading up on sugar or booze.

Hope you have a GREAT time! -- TR

Trcori, I agree with your opinions about not drinking calories, and getting exercise during a cruise. I have found that by doing both, I can enjoy my food on a cruise without gaining weight. I, also, refrain from drinking calories and exercise regularly at home to control my weight.

I agree with all the other posters. There are always so many choices on a Celebrity cruise. You can always order a selection of steamed vegetables at dinner and skip the potatoes. Our waiter (on Galaxy) would bring a plate of the vegies and ask me which I wanted. You can order the grilled salmon any night also. There was always a sugar-free desert of the day and a no-sugar-added ice cream. This was always Vanilla, but if I asked our waiter would go in serch of other flavors for me. Look for the sugar-free deserts at tea also. If none are out, ask. These wonders are also available on the room service menu as are salads. The left side of the menu listed what they called the healthy choices each evening. These choices were considered the most healthy from the night's offerings.

Walking the stairs has long been our practice. We also went up to the gym on sea days and hit the machines for 30 minutes. I usually eat more all three meals plus tea than I would at home and lose weight.

Have a great cruise,

I was on Galaxy last October for 24 nights. B2B Med/TA along with DH and in-laws. I gained only 5 pounds, so I felt pretty good.

Just make sure you don't miss the Greek Buffet on the aft patio. They only did it once, and it was terrific.

The Sushi bar was very good and I could go to the Pasta Bar to get a green salad to go with sushi. There is a sandwich bar at lunch and you control exactly what goes on it.

I loved the waffles in the morning (same place as Pasta Bar). I put lemon juice and a bit of sugar only, no syrup or toppings. Great flavor.

Be sure to ask what items are available every night in the dining room. I think, chicken, salmon, and steak, baked potato, ceasar salad, shrimp cocktail (YUMM).

Have a great time, we enjoyed Galaxy. We had 6 couple from CruiseCritic do the B2B so we hung out together quite a bit.

Carol

Just off the Galaxy to the Panama Canal. There are a lot of nice breakfast - friut and the like - Lunch and dinner selections for the lite and healthy. Most times I just order the fish selection so I may have run into it a lot.

You don't have to order special meals in advance for WW. Just scan the menu. Some of the seafood salads at the buffet were fantastic.

You should be able to find something lite - even at the Sushi bar where they will cut up just the crab legs, tuna, and anything else - without the rice eatras.

All cruise lines have lots of low calorie choices if you ask for them. We always start out being virtuous, but gradually succumb to temptation as the cruise wears on. Bravo to those who manage to stick to a diet all the way through a cruise! You have superhuman restraint.

Just one extra thought: you can have omelets made to order on the buffet with egg whites or egg beaters upon request. The omelets are quite large. With a serving of fruit, two could easily split one.

I know it is hard to believe, but if you are disciplined, weight watching on a cruise is easier than at home!

Enjoy,

I agree with those who think that watching your weight on a cruise can be easier than at home. When I first heard about "Gourmet Health Food", I thought it was a contradiction in terms, but somehow the chefs at sea have made it possible :)

Hi! I'm a w

Weight Watcher, too- I did a 14 night cruise last year followed by four nights in Barcelona and only gained 0.2 pound . . . the key for me was to eat a healthy ( 4 or 5 points) breakfast, a huge salad at lunch with balsamic vinegar instead of dressing, then I watched my dinner choices. I usually had a drink and 1-2 glasses of wine at night, always drinking water between each alcoholic beverage. I learned to enjoy decaf capuccino for desert. I learned to eat European portions, not American. I worked out every day at sea- cardio for 45-60 minutes, and then spent a wonderful 30 minutes in the steam bath, sweating out all the toxins! Take the stairs, never the elevators . . . walk some laps before lunch . . .

I guess to sum it up- don't go nuts just because you're on vacation, and don't deny yourself food pleasures you'll never get at home- everything in moderation. Keep your journal, it will keep you sane and in tune with your consumption. One more thought- I've got another 14 night coming uop, this time I'm going at goal weight. I will work out every day at sea, get in my steam room, follow the same stuff I did last time- and I will treat myself to a couple of personal trainer sessions!

PS I took a box of WW bars for excursions- great for when I hit an energy low or excursions were running late . . . having a snack on hand kept my blood sugar levels stabilized on the long days

Being on WW on a cruise is probably the best diet to be on on a cruise, if you're going to diet. I've done WW on cruises, and although I haven't lost weight (and did gain a pound or two, but easily took it off when home) is mostly about making choices, and a cruise offers you tons of them! Lots of fruit, salads, fish, chicken, beef (all w/out sauces). The food choices make it easy - it's the drinks that can do you in. There are healthy choices on every menu. One of the biggest things to do is watch your portion size and DRINK LOTS and LOTS of water.

Michele

I am also a Weight Watcher and have worked very hard and lost 50 pds, and as much as I am looking forward to my up coming 2 week cruise, I have also dreaded it, because of the possible weight gain. I would be a real hero in my group if I could come back and have only gained .02. I am going to try REALLY hard to do it because I need to help prove to myself and the others that the activity (the cruise) not the food is what is important. It doesn't help that I use a Formal Night Cruise picture as my "before" picture. I am hoping that on this cruise I can get a good "after" picture. Again thank you for all the good advise.

I have been successful losing weight on most of my cruises. I've enjoyed the wonderful food. You've been given some good advice but I will tell you what I do -

-Walk, walk, walk. If we have a chance to walk around town or sit on an excursion bus we will walk for hours.

-On sea days add some exercise. The gyms usually have treadmills facing huge windows to the ocean. (Something to be said for those inside cabins)

-I never drink my calories, either at home or on cruise ships (even when the drinks are free)

-Choose carefully for breakfast. There is usually plenty of fresh fruit, omelets, and my favorite is half a small bagel with lots of lox or fish.

-I don't like to eat off the ship so believe it or not I sometimes have a granola bar if we are going to be off the ship past 2. Otherwise I'll have a salad with a little protein on top. I use the sauce on the chicken as a salad dressing. I look for interesting vegetables that I don't eat at home.

-If you want that ice cream snack they often have low fat ice cream.

-On the M class ships they have a healthy breakfast and lunch alternative at the T-spa pool. Delicious gourmet low cal choice. I believe they have sushi.

-Choose healthy for dinner. There is always a poultry option, a fish option and a vegetarian option. If you want a little of that pasta dish order it for the table and your waiter will serve a little to everyone. Seafood is very low in points. Just stay away from the choices with sauces.

-There is usually a lower calorie dessert option. Or order what you want and enjoy 3 spoonfuls. Share the rest.

-Put your fork down after you've had enough. The waiters do not like to see plates sitting there.

-Go to the free classes they give at the spa and the gym. No need to buy anything.

The others are right - it is easier to do on the ship than at home because there are so many healthy choices. How many times do you have to make something that has more points than you want because the family wants it. On a cruise ship you can each order what you want.

Good luck and enjoy,

Ellen

Do you think anyone would think it was strange if I brought by Crystal Light to go and used it on the ship. A year ago I quit drinking Soda and having been doing Crystal Light. Around here I even take it to Resturants and no one makes much out of it. Thinking it might look a little strange on the ship.

What to you guys think?

Vie Lee

everyone had such great suggestions !

And Vie : go for it Take the Crystal light. And they even have those small little containers now. Very convenient.

Lrd Norman:

My only other suggestion is to enjoy and do the WW but remember, to keep your" diet ", basically to yourself. The last cruise i was on I maintained my WW plan the entire time, all the CC friend we made and shared a dining table had no idea. But one lady, literally drove us all "crazy" and we got to a point no one wanted to share the same table with her. All she discussed was her diet and ALL the fat everyone else was eating.Lets face it, a cruise is a real treat for most of us ans we all look forward to splurging and absolutely dont want to feel guilty for it.

You will enjoy your meals and always you can request steamed veges, baked potato, and a shrimp coctail with your entree

Enjoy ! and happy cruising

Nadine

I to am on a strict diet to loose weight. I just got off the Galaxy a week ago after visiting the Panama Canal. I had stressed for months about the food and gaining weight. I had lost so much and didnt want to gain any back. The dinning staff was very accomodating to my diet. I think WW can be done very easily on the ship and if there is something you want and you dont see it, ASK for it. I became very accustomed to ordering things not on the menu. I was able to stick to my diet, even splurged a little and ended up loosing about 5 pounds on a 12 day cruise. I dont know how your body works, but my grandmother was also with me and she does WW and she checked that before we left Detroit. She ate whatever she wanted when she wanted it and she didnt gain any weight. I think with all the walking you do on ship and in port it counter balances what you eat. So my advice is not to stress about it, have a good time, and splurge a little (but not to much), you deserve it!

This whole thread is geared to those who have a greater strength of will than I could ever hope to have. Any dieting resolve I have vanishes like a soap bubble in a high wind once I'm on board. I suffer later, of course ... :(

Archived