Managing food allergies on an Edge Class ship

Baynanno1

We have cruised on Solstice class ships in a Retreat suite with access to Luminae.

On the Solstice class ships Luminae is on Deck 3 and the Main Dining Room is spread over Decks 3 and 4.

I was able to order 24 hours in advance from either menu to ensure my meals presented no possibility of an allergic reaction.

We are looking at cruises on an Edge class ship and are concerned that a similar arrangement may not be possible.

Luminae is on Deck 12 and the Main Dining Room is spread over Decks 3 and 4.

Hoping someone on the Forum may have relevant experience of looking after food allergies on this class ship.

I would suggest contacting special needs to alert them to the good allergy.  On embarkation day at lunch go to Luminae and speak to the MaitreD an explain the restrictions.  They will work with you to plan meals that work for you.  I can’t eat any fish or seafood and they handled it flawlessly.

• Like 2

Ditto to @jelayne's comment.  We have sailed Edge class twice and found that notes provided shoreside made it to Luminae, and that the Luminae team handled it flawlessly, personalized, etc.  Couldn't have been better, and one of the reasons we have enjoyed cruising.  It's great how daily the same waiter flags items that are an issue before one asks. The MaitreD can also assist with questions, concerns re room service items, and coordinate with other restaurants.  (Some of the running around and phone action seems to be these sorts of needs).  The head waiter will often play a role between kitchens, if needed.  (Same for kids menu items). Depending on your allergy needs, I would suggest Eden, which is cooked to order and has ample fresh ingredients.  Eden Cafe was also very customizable, and the staff are from Eden restaurant, so very conversant in food allergy needs, etc.  

Side bar: we could be wrong on this, but one thing we noticed is that a lot of the Celebrity food prep seems to involve less problematic ingredients than may otherwise be used.  E.g., yogurt instead of mayo, simply grilled items at OVC, simple ice cream/milk bases (not very custardly). 

• Like 1