Dietary restrictions at lunch time - Sapphire Princess

rsera

Is it possible to get special dietary dinner-type options in the MDR at lunch time? I usually eat my last meal by 2 PM. Very rarely do I eat after 5 PM so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to take advantage of the main dining dinners, but that seems to be where the most accommodations for dietary restrictions are made. 

Do you have the same staff every day at lunch time like dinner so that you can make request the day before like is typically recommended with dinner?

I'm looking at Sapphire Princess Alaska.

You can have your dietary requests for lunches in the MDR (but I think only on sea days?).  I have celiac disease—each night I am provided with the next day’s lunch and dinner menus.  I frequently have lunch in the MDR but usually don’t request the same table/servers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disneyochem said:

You can have your dietary requests for lunches in the MDR (but I think only on sea days?).  I have celiac disease—each night I am provided with the next day’s lunch and dinner menus.  I frequently have lunch in the MDR but usually don’t request the same table/servers.

DW also has celiac and for her the experience is the same with the MDR. Ordering the night before allows the chefs to make sure they're ready for particular allergies and restrictions. DW found that most offerings could be made gluten-free with advance notice.

In the buffet, DW would ask for the "Chef du Parti (sp?)" who would take her around the various offerings and show her what she could and could not have.

I would ask to speak to a headwaiter (maybe they have a new name now) on your first day & explain to him your dietary restrictions, he should be able to take your orders for the days they have lunch in the MDR (you will not ncessiraily have the same waitstaff, but if you talk to someone on embarkation day, they may be able to facilitate that), in the buffet just tell someone that you need help with dietary restrictions & one of the "tall hat guys" (I don't know what they are called) will help you...the Sapphire did quite well for us with dietary restrictions last fall (some ships are better than others...if you have trouble you can ask to speak with the Director of Restaurant Operations, if Mario Propato is back on when you sail, he is the best DRO we have ever had & will take very good care of you)

Thanks, all. It's reassuring to hear that they can be accommodating.

I was worried that if I only eat "lunch," my options might be more limited than dinner times. The menus I've seen list a lot more options for dinner, so I'm hoping they can do something more dinner-style at lunch times on sea days. 

I don't need the same staff, I'd just heard that's how they handle it at dinner when you pre-order (I assumed so they can track the order). But if it's just associated with me regardless of server, that's totally fine with me. 

It's my first cruise so I'm trying to work out those little details, expecting to be a bit lost on the first day or so. I know I'm supposed to try to talk to them early to work out the special diets stuff but having never been, it's hard to picture exactly how to do that. All part of the adventure. 🙂

8 hours ago, rsera said:

Is it possible to get special dietary dinner-type options in the MDR at lunch time? I usually eat my last meal by 2 PM. Very rarely do I eat after 5 PM so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to take advantage of the main dining dinners, but that seems to be where the most accommodations for dietary restrictions are made. 

Do you have the same staff every day at lunch time like dinner so that you can make request the day before like is typically recommended with dinner?

I'm looking at Sapphire Princess Alaska.

You can specify dietary requests in the Princess Medallion App. This will help ensure supplies are on board.

In the Medallion App go to:

My Preferences

then

Dining

1st page is "Share Your Allergens"

Select whatever is relevant there and click Save.

You will then go to 2nd page of Dining which will be Diet page.

Select your Diet restrictions there

and then at the next page Save.

Once on board talk to a head waiter or Director of Dining Room Operations.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rsera said:

I don't need the same staff, I'd just heard that's how they handle it at dinner when you pre-order (I assumed so they can track the order). But if it's just associated with me regardless of server, that's totally fine with me. 

Whether you have the same waitstaff or not, it does not matter. Your pre-order is saved using your cabin number.

You just have to tell the waitstaff at lunch that you have pre-ordered and give them your cabin number.

If you do have different staff each lunch time, be sure to ask for the person who takes your special order for the next dining room lunch.

I do not know if you can ask for a dinner item at lunch time. You will have to ask on board about that.

On 4/23/2023 at 8:16 PM, rsera said:

Thanks, all. It's reassuring to hear that they can be accommodating.

I was worried that if I only eat "lunch," my options might be more limited than dinner times. The menus I've seen list a lot more options for dinner, so I'm hoping they can do something more dinner-style at lunch times on sea days. 

It's my first cruise so I'm trying to work out those little details, expecting to be a bit lost on the first day or so. I know I'm supposed to try to talk to them early to work out the special diets stuff but having never been, it's hard to picture exactly how to do that. All part of the adventure. 🙂

if it were me, I would go to the MDR that is open for lunch on embarkation day (when we sailed on the Sapphire last fall it was the International Dining Room...not to be confused with the International Cafe...which is a little hard to find...go to the rear elevators on deck 7 & then down the elevator or stairs to deck 6...you can't get to it from the middle of deck 6...then ask to speak to the head waiter or the director of restaurant operations & explain your needs & they will set up a plan with you...you can put it in the app, but that has only one time made a difference & they came to find us 

I did a live of our cruise on the Sapphire last fall if you are interested...it is long, but if you go to this post I tried to list what was in each post (if that doesn't take you to the post with the list, its 416 on page 17, sometimes CC is stubborn), so you could look at what would be helpful to you...have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by travelin.sisters