One night in Tokyo or Yokohama to catch the trans pacific on Queen Elizabeth

TonyBasoglu

We are joining the 16 night crossing from Japan to Canada, via Alaska in late May  

Arriving 1 day early into Narita and need a place for the night somewhere in Tokyo or Yokahama or anywhere suitable.

Looking for recommendations please 🫠

We are going to be jetlagged so luxury/entertainment/amenities is not really a requirement. 

Just somewhere simple, clean, convenient and hopefully cheap.

Biggest requirement is convenient.  Cheap / simple / clean are the secondary wishes.

Convenient to me means : Easy to get to from Narita and easy next day to the port in Yokahama  

Looking forward to the voyage, just doing the last few bits&bobs, crossing the t's and dotting the i's  🥰

If I were you and it sounds like you are not interested in sightseeing in Tokyo I would travel directly to Yokohama and book a hotel there. You should be able to crash out for a nap and then you can wander around Yokohama without any further stress about travel.

We have taken the limousine bus from Haneda and Narita to our hotels previously and its more of a coach than a bus with room for luggage underneath.

Someone here explains the possibilities.

Happy planning

https://japantravelplanning.com/narita-airport-to-yokohama/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

If I were you and it sounds like you are not interested in sightseeing in Tokyo I would travel directly to Yokohama and book a hotel there. You should be able to crash out for a nap and then you can wander around Yokohama without any further stress about travel.

We have taken the limousine bus from Haneda and Narita to our hotels previously and its more of a coach than a bus with room for luggage underneath.

Happy planning

Thank you for the link.

Yes, we will be far too tired and jet lagged for any sightseeing - just want to crawl into a comfortable bed and then next day, get to the ship in a reasonable way.

I'll look at the link you've sent me in detail : would love to hear some hotel suggestions from those who've spent a night near there....

We stayed at the Hotel New Grand  in Yokohama.  It is a historic hotel where General MacArthur stayed after WW2.  It is extremely convenient, directly across from the port and one block from Chinatown.  We had lovely spacious rooms and it’s next door to a McDonald’s.  
It also was a stop for the Narita bus in 2019.  We found it reasonable for location and quality.  

I will add, we loved Japan and found it a wonderful place to visit.  I would seriously consider adding on some time precruise to enjoy Japan, and recover a bit from jet lag.  Friends who  joined us on the cruise did exactly what you did,  and it took them several days before they were fully able to enjoy the cruise,  

• Thanks 1

If you are flying into Narita, you can take the Narita Express (NEX) Japan Rail train.  The first stop is Tokyo station, where the train splits with half the carriages continuing on to Yokohama.  It is a fast train, and it will likley be quicker than the bus services, given typical Tokyo road traffic congestion.

There are several hotels within walking distance of Yokohama station.  There's also several hotels, including a Hyatt, near the Motomachi-Chūkagai train station, adjacent to where the Cunard provided shuttle bus will take you to Daikoku pier and QE on embarkation day.  Getting to Motomachi-Chūkagai from Yokohama station would require either a change of trains from the Narita express, or a short taxi ride.

• Thanks 1

We are on the same sailing in May. Planning to take the Airport Limousine from Narita to Yokohama a couple of days before the cruise.  We have done that a couple of times and found that to be the most convenient without having to deal with the luggage. Some buses to Yokohama will have a stop at Hotel New Grand near Yamashita Park where the shuttles to Daikoku should be available. Ask before purchasing the bus ticket. Otherwise the last stop will be at YCAT at Yokohama station and will need a taxi ride to wherever your hotel is. This time we booked the Mielparque Hotel for around $100 a night. Never stayed there before but the location is appealing. Across from Yamashita Park and close to Chinatown. We usually like to stay at the Sotesu Fresha Inn in Bashimichi/Sagurachico area but it's a little further from Yamashita Park. BTW, the Airport Limousine have discount rates for seniors, the last time we rode in April was around $21. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2023 at 8:59 PM, cruiseaholic78 said:

Happy planning

I agree. Get yourself to Yokohama and get some sleep. There are lots of hotels that are walking distance to the Osanbashi Passenger Termimal, or take a taxi if you have a lot of stuff. We stayed at the Sotetsu Fresa Inn, Yokohama Sakuragi-cho. Includes breakfast, Japanese style, but a Westerner would find something to enjoy. It's clean, charming and a short walk to the pier.

• Thanks 1

Alternatively you can also get a hotel at Narita, get some sleep, take advantage of the jetlag because you'll probably wake up bright and early at 5am local time and make the trip to Yokohama in the morning.

I certainly understand wanting to stay at a hotel closer to the pier. But personally, just my two cents, everyone I know who has gotten off that long North America -> Japan flight is barely functioning with half their brain, no matter if they flew economy or first class, young or old. And trying to figure out Japanese public transportation in that state is a rough experience.

• Haha 1

It is a long haul flight, but we then flew to Hiroshima and by staying up until a Normal time we switched over quickly.

Our friends took the airport limousine bus directly from Narita to our hotel in Yokohama. It is a very comfortable bus, and they put the luggage underneath. I too wouldn’t want to deal with trains and schlepping luggage.