"Love Boat" deceptions....

migdet71

On 4/28/2023 at 1:53 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Well, admittedly, they were all senior staff ... not waiters or cabin stewards.  

I loved that show when I was a kid!  

Me too!  I was a poor kid and never would've expected that I'd be able to take multiple cruises as an adult.  

Being much smaller ships  I'm sure they were significantly more expensive compared to income factoring in inflation than currently. Although the environmental rules and minimum wages (even for international staff there are some agreements on minimums among all the significant lines ) does present higher costs as well. 

4 hours ago, warren buffet said:

I'm sure they were significantly more expensive compared to income factoring in inflation than currently.

This 1977-1978 Princess brochure shows how much those cruises cost. A conversion chart shows $1 in 1977 is equivalent to $5 today. Thus a 3 day cruise costing $228 in 1977 for the cheapest interior cabin would now cost $1,140 and no one would pay that much for a 3 day cruise on Princess or any other mass-market cruise line.

1977 Princess Brochure.pdf

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Kay S said:

And they were all-inclusive!

No, alcoholic beverages were still extra.   But drinks were incredibly cheap because liquor tax was a bigger % of the bottle cost back then.  A highball and a Shirley Temple were definitely  well under $2 total because I literally learned how to sign a bar chit on Pacific Princess in that era.   My aunt said to write a 2 on the TOTAL line and then write my name on the bottom.  She was a decent tipper. 

as skills for a child to learn, I think it was a pretty good one. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

This 1977-1978 Princess brochure shows how much those cruises cost. A conversion chart shows $1 in 1977 is equivalent to $5 today. Thus a 3 day cruise costing $228 in 1977 for the cheapest interior cabin would now cost $1,140 and no one would pay that much for a 3 day cruise on Princess or any other mass-market cruise line.

I found this funny, because the price tag for one of my upcoming cruises, a 3-day jaunt, is around $1140.  There are several caveats to this:

• It's not on Princess, but on NCL
  • I booked an ocean view, which is somewhat more than this
  • It's a full charter
  • It's a music cruise featuring two headliners, two comedians of headliner quality, and other great musicians.  They'll be working, not just saying cheesy lines. 🙂

12 hours ago, Kay S said:

I refer you to page 2 of the brochure Astro Flyer posted here.

I can read.  I can also say that the paragraph in question says a luxury cruise, award-winning cuisine, first-class accommodations, top entertainment and superb service are all included.  Beverages were not. 

I used to hide behind my grandparents' sofa on Saturday nights to watch The Love Boat, which I think is why I've always been fascinated with cruising.

As for "deceptions":

1) Cruising is not nearly as glamorous as it was depicted back in the 70s & early 80s (for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread), but that's the case with most things.

2) I was under the impression that a lot of people went on cruises to fall in love or rekindle their romances, but my ex-husband asked for a divorce 3 weeks after disembarking from one of our cruises, so...

In spite of this, cruising has turned out better than my 2008 visit to one of the Poconos "honeymoon resorts" – also inspired by TV exposure in my formative years. Those "Beautiful Mount Airy Lodge" commercials that used to air on daytime TV in the tri-state area in the 80s made a lasting impression on me. The resort wast 20 years past its prime and 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, ExpatBride said:

In spite of this, cruising has turned out better than my 2008 visit to one of the Poconos "honeymoon resorts" – also inspired by TV exposure in my formative years. Those "Beautiful Mount Airy Lodge" commercials that used to air on daytime TV in the tri-state area in the 80s made a lasting impression on me. The resort wast 20 years past its prime and 😝

Did you get the room with the champagne glass shaped hot tub that needed a ladder to climb into?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Did you get the room with the champagne glass shaped hot tub that needed a ladder to climb into?

Yes!!! It also had a pool, a sauna, and a fireplace 🤣 I think it had a "Roman" theme? But the room was on multiple levels, so there was a staircase up to the bedroom area where there was an entrance to the tub. OMG!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ExpatBride said:

Yes!!! It also had a pool, a sauna, and a fireplace 🤣 I think it had a "Roman" theme? But the room was on multiple levels, so there was a staircase up to the bedroom area where there was an entrance to the tub. OMG!!!

I hope you weren't alone...😉💗🌹🍷

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2023 at 9:29 PM, Kay S said:

You could bring your friends aboard to say goodbye and then there were those lovely streamers everyone threw at the sailaway.

Actually that was accurate! Sadly it was done away with on all cruise lines in the 90’s

On 5/5/2023 at 12:26 PM, ExpatBride said:

Back in 1988 my 2nd wife and I honeymooned in the Poconos and stayed in room just like this one. It was awesome. My 3rd and current wife honeymooned on the Sapphire Princess in 2005.

• Like 1