Much cheaper for Europeans - why?

lborne

I'd read on my rollcall board that people were finding the cruise fares much cheaper for those in Europe where their website shows prices in Euros.  So I asked a travel agent friend in Italy to look up my cruise just going to the Oceania web site.  For my cruise (cruise fare only), the B3 category is $1989 Euros, or about $2200 USD.  On the US website, it is showing $3249 USD.  Surely this has something to do with VAT or other taxes.  Anyone know why the $1000 difference?

1. Could be airfare difference.

2. Could be directed marketing. Appeal to Euro passengers. They have done this pre Covid with success . Maybe they’re trying again.

With all the various sales going on who knows what the real price is.

I compared cruise fare only - no airfare.  But it does seem that the Italian website does not show the O-life ultimate that is valid on certain categories, and when factored in, it is about the difference.  

In UK for extraordinary sale we are given a choice, O Life ultimate, or O Life choice, and it is priced accordingly. I didn't realise until I was told last week that to get the ultimate I would be paying approx £1000 more. It really depends what is included in your USA offer.

9 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

The Extraordinary Sale prices do not show on O's US site, but it may be a requirement in other countries to show the sale price.

I am pretty sure that is the case.   I have recently booked a cruise which attracted Extraordinary Savings. The pricing was very transparent on O's British version of the website yet, on a thread specifically about the savings, Americans were saying they needed to contact O to get the sale prices. I do not know the details of UK consumer law but I do know that "sales" need to be transparent. I imagine other European countries may well have their own differing legislative requirements.

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

We booked our Marina cruise in October 23 on a "German" Oceania website.

The brochure fare for the B3 Veranda stateroom was 5009 Euro (about 5500 $).

The reduced price - shown on this site - was 2499 Euro (about 2750 $).

That means around 250 Euro (275 $) per day+person, which is a great price in my opinion.

It includes Olife Choice (we choose the 600 $), no flights or transport.

We didn't have to call somebody to get an offer or price, perhaps due to German price rules?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gcmv said:

We booked our Marina cruise in October 23 on a "German" Oceania website.

Though two Marina cruises in Oct 2023 are on sale: Oct 11th Venice to Rome (10 days) and Oct 21st Rome to Istanbul (11 days). Per the American brochure for the sale and cruise only, a B4 on the first is $1799 PP and on the second $1799 PP. On a per-day basis, the 2nd cruise is less expensive.

45 minutes ago, gcmv said:

Thanks MEFIowa - on our German website my cruise (Oct. 11th) is waitlisted in ALL categories!

No chance of booking ...

That cruise is also tied to a 21 day cruise that combines the two I mentioned. AND at the ESS prices, I'm sure "waitlisting" is rising dramatically on most of these cruises on sale! Too good to pass up. (We're on Riviera 10/30-11/19, 2023!)