Getting to Tokyo from Cruise Port

shaycamp21

We are staying at the Mimaru Tokyo Ginza East  hotel after our cruise in August and are wondering what would be the easiest way to get there from the Yokohama cruise port? This is our first time in Japan (our cruise leaves from Singapore) and I have been researching options --seems like taxi's are quite pricey but I am really not keen on taking large luggage on public transportation. It will be just my husband, myself and our 11 year old daughter. Any info on transportation options would be appreciated.

In Japan, especially in the Tokyo area, the answer is always always "by rail". I know you aren't thrilled with taking luggage, but it really is the best option. As long as you avoid the peak of rush hours, trains can be surprisingly quiet considering their reputation. 

We traveled as a group of 8, so I booked a van transfer from Yokohama to our hotel in Kamata. The ride cost us $22 per person, and I reserved through Booking.com. One difficulty was I was unfamiliar with the pickup point at the Osanbashi Passenger Terminal, and didn't get to confirm with the transfer company until we were off the ship and through customs/immigration. Anyway, let me know if you want more info on this option.

Otherwise, taking the train is the best option. Research the train lines, and Narita Express may be a good option. Then take a cab to your hotel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Halehuaka_i said:

We traveled as a group of 8, so I booked a van transfer from Yokohama to our hotel in Kamata. The ride cost us $22 per person, and I reserved through Booking.com. One difficulty was I was unfamiliar with the pickup point at the Osanbashi Passenger Terminal, and didn't get to confirm with the transfer company until we were off the ship and through customs/immigration. Anyway, let me know if you want more info on this option.

Otherwise, taking the train is the best option. Research the train lines, and Narita Express may be a good option. Then take a cab to your hotel.

Can you please tell me which company you used? We're a group of eight people. 

Thanks!

Monica

The company is Tianjin OUYA Automobile Rental Service Co., Ltd. I did not find this on my own, I booked it through Booking.com. There is also Jayride, which specializes in airport transfers. I tried to get Jayride to take us from the pier to our Tokyo hotel but they said they only do airport transfers.

The transfer I booked from Haneda to Yokohama cost us $22 per person. It was nice to not deal with taxis or the train to get to Yokohama.

One tip I have is give yourself time to clear immigrations and schedule your pickup accordingly. It took us almost an hour and I had to pay extra to have the driver wait for us.

Sorry, that info is for getting TO Yokohama. For getting to Tokyo we did use Tianjin. Sorry for the confusing answer!

Edited by Halehuaka_i
More information
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2023 at 4:05 AM, shaycamp21 said:

We are staying at the Mimaru Tokyo Ginza East  hotel after our cruise in August and are wondering what would be the easiest way to get there from the Yokohama cruise port? This is our first time in Japan (our cruise leaves from Singapore) and I have been researching options --seems like taxi's are quite pricey but I am really not keen on taking large luggage on public transportation. It will be just my husband, myself and our 11 year old daughter. Any info on transportation options would be appreciated.

Assuming you dock at Osanbashi,

- walk to one of the stations on the Minato-Mirai line, either Motomachi-Chukagai (Yokohama Chinatown) or Nihon-Odori. The first station I listed is a terminus so if you're worried about finding room for your luggage or seats on the train, it's helpful to board an empty train.

- Stay on this train for about half an hour. The line's name changes but you can ignore it. It'll change from the Minato-Mirai line to Toyoko line. You don't have to do anything, just sit there.

- At Nakameguro station you will get off the train and walk straight across the platform to transfer onto the Hibiya line, it's maybe 20 feet? You will stay on the Hibiya line about 25 minutes then get off at Hatchobori station. Your hotel is about a 7 minute walk, or if you're turned around or tired by this point, hop on a taxi that'll cost about $5.

Taking large luggage on the train isn't optimal but if you all get seats and keep your luggage by your legs, it's doable. Especially if you get on a train at/near the terminus so you can all get seats together. And avoid rush hour if possible.

If I were you I'd definitely take the train. It'll be faster than taxi, much cheaper, and it's only 1 very easy transfer (literally walking straight across the platform). All the signage will have English and most people say it's easier to get around Japan than they expected. You can do it!!

• Like 1

It sounds like you're on the same cruise as me (Spectrum of the Seas leaving Singapore July 26th?). 

We're staying in Shinjuku and plan to take a taxi to Yokohama station and take the train to Shinjuku station.

I know that doesn't help you get to Ginza, but just thought I'd throw that option out there for anyone else who reads your post and might be trying to get to Tokyo.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

19 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

It sounds like you're on the same cruise as me (Spectrum of the Seas leaving Singapore July 26th?). 

We're staying in Shinjuku and plan to take a taxi to Yokohama station and take the train to Shinjuku station.

I know that doesn't help you get to Ginza, but just thought I'd throw that option out there for anyone else who reads your post and might be trying to get to Tokyo.

We are on the Spectrum of Sea sailing leaving July 31st out of Singapore.