Casablanca Cruise Port and Currency Questions for 1 Day

rosewoodaunt

Hi,  I will be on a cruise in May that calls in Casablanca for one day.  I am planning to enjoy the city on my own.  Does anyone know if local taxi drivers accept US Dollars or EUROs, or just the Moroccan Dirham?  Same question for the local markets, such as the Habous Quarter.

Alternatively, does the Cruise Port at Casablanca have a currency exchange booth?

Thanks very much!

I'm a pretty frequent traveler to Morocco since my wife is from there originally. Much more familiar with Marrakech than Casablanca, but I'll throw out what I know. 

If you set up a taxi ahead of time, they're more likely to accept non-local currency. If you just grab one off the street, they may or may not be willing to...it really depends and there's no way to know without asking them before you get in. Also, if you do use foreign currency, my experience is that they will charge you more. 

As far as the local markets go - ones that are common with tourists are much more likely to take USD and EUR, but again, my experience is they're going to charge you a poor rate. 

When I go, I always use Dirhams. And I don't exchange cash, I use my card to get money out at ATMs. I have never been to the Port of Casablanca, but I am sure there's an ATM there. You'll pretty much always get a better exchange rate using ATMs than cash/currency exchanges. 

• 1 month later...

Update to this post for anyone who has the same question: taxi drivers, shop keepers in the Habous Quarter almost always accept US Dollars and Euros, provided that they are in really good condition (no tears, strong folds, etc).

Truth be told, you will not get a better price even if you use dirhams.  Everyone can tell that you are a tourist and will always charge you more than they would a local.  But if you are a tough negotiator and hold your ground, you will get an acceptable price.  If your taxi driver or shop keeper is not willing to meet your price, there is always someone next door looking for a sale.  Besides, by US standards, prices are relatively inexpensive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2