Tipping through on board account

fcccruiser

On my last cruise, because I had a deal through my travel agent that my on board expenditures would be reimbursed up to a set amount, I went to customer service and added tips for our butler and concierge to our account (incremental to the standard service fee which I know doesn't cover butlers and concierges).  When I tried to explain to our butler that I had tipped him this way he kept saying "I won't get that".  I assumed that he wasn't understanding me and that he thought I was referring to the standard service fee, but as I get ready for my next cruise (where we have the same reimbursement for onboard spending that we wouldn't hit unless we use it for tips) I am wondering if tipping through our on board account isn't the right way to go.  Any thoughts or relevant experience?

Coming from the UK I never have much cash in $ so when I last cruised in the Haven I did this. I told my butler, concierge, steward and the bartender who looked after me well that I had done so and they did not complain. I had to make sure I had their names correct when I did it though, as for some reason I had difficulty getting the bartender right.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Number34 said:

Coming from the UK I never have much cash in $ so when I last cruised in the Haven I did this. I told my butler, concierge, steward and the bartender who looked after me well that I had done so and they did not complain. I had to make sure I had their names correct when I did it though, as for some reason I had difficulty getting the bartender right.

I have problems with crew names as well.  I found that taking a photo of their name tags with my cell works quite well for me.  

IIRC there are ATMs on board.