Bergen or add Oslo extension?

Looking at potentially adding the Oslo extension to our Norway cruise.  We disembark in Bergen and actually overnight there.  Was planning to fly home from Bergen to USA.  Didn't see a lot to see/do in Bergen that interesting for us.  (We are not big museum people.). Thought might be better to go to Oslo then.  But not seeing a whole lot in Oslo either and not sure it is worth adding the cost for the Oslo extension.  Am I overlooking things in either Bergen or Oslo?  I've read through posts but didn't see a lot regarding things to do/see (besides the Funicular in Bergen)?  We do like history, especially World War 2 history, less so on Norsk history.   Just looking for suggestions.  Leaning towards flying home from Bergen but wanted to ask for others' input first.  TYIA.

I would look into doing the "Norway in a Nutshell" package (google it) from Bergen to Oslo.  The trip can be completed in 1 to 3 days (your choice) and involves arrangements that are sold as a package (trains, boats through fjords and lodging.  Bergen is a charming town and the highly rated "museum" there is more of a walking tour through the sights (must be pre-booked as it sells out quickly).  We found lots to do in Bergen an Oslo.  Check out a Norway guidebook for suggestions.  Rick Steves always has good DIY walking tours in his books.

If you're still on the fence maybe consider the difference in airfare. 

Edited by Travelling2Some

What kinds of things would you normally enjoy? Hard to make recommendations without any idea what you’re looking for.

Most people visit Bergen to see the UNESCO-listed historic waterfront, wander among the old Hanseatic buildings, and enjoy the charm of the city center.

Oslo is a much bigger city and is similar to (but smaller than) the other Scandinavian capitals. It has a lot more variety of sights and activities, simply because it’s bigger.

Choosing between them depends a lot on what you’re looking for.

Also, what ports will you visit on your cruise? (Norway in a Nutshell may not be a great option if you’ve already visited Flåm.)

If WWII history is the only thing that you’re interested in:

Bergen has a Gestapo Museum, and there are some other locations in the region if you rent a car. I’ve never been to any of them, so I couldn’t say whether they’re worth visiting. I think t here are also some sites down around Haugesund.

Oslo has a larger Resistance Museum than Bergen. You can also take a pleasant ferry trip down to the Oscarsborg Fortress, where a German ship was sunk in the Oslofjord at the beginning of the invasion (allegedly buying the royal family time to escape). There is a lot of history related to the occupation, but a lot of it is in how buildings were repurposed or how the local populace was impacted. There are some WWII-focused walking tours available via toursbylocals, viator, etc. And keep an eye out for the Stolpersteine around the city, remembering the Jewish residents who were deported.

7 hours ago, cruz_happy said:

Looking at potentially adding the Oslo extension to our Norway cruise.  We disembark in Bergen and actually overnight there.  Was planning to fly home from Bergen to USA.  Didn't see a lot to see/do in Bergen that interesting for us.  (We are not big museum people.). Thought might be better to go to Oslo then.  But not seeing a whole lot in Oslo either and not sure it is worth adding the cost for the Oslo extension.  Am I overlooking things in either Bergen or Oslo?  I've read through posts but didn't see a lot regarding things to do/see (besides the Funicular in Bergen)?  We do like history, especially World War 2 history, less so on Norsk history.   Just looking for suggestions.  Leaning towards flying home from Bergen but wanted to ask for others' input first.  TYIA.

The Resistance Museum in Oslo is definitely worth a visit. As WW II conditions got worse in Norway, you are walking downhill…as conditions are improving you walk uphill. It is one of the most moving war museums I have ever visited. Oslo also has two new outstanding art museums. Norway in a Nutshell (Bergen) gives you an amazing railroad and fjord journey.