Live and Solo: Dustin's European Adventure (Explorer May 8)

15 minutes ago, auburngirl said:

Thanks!  I have been on Trip Advisor for several weeks.  I think I may be over thinking it!  I had back surgery February 2022 (Extremely bad rutured disc - but healed now).  I am now extremely careful with my back.  I may just do laundry on the ship.  We are going on the Norwegian Dawn 11/14/23  It is 10 days (all ports - no sea days).  We will stay 2 days pre-cruise in Venice and 2 days post in Istanbul.  It is primarily a  Greek Isles cruise.

You don't have to check them out...but a few I have found through friends or on tripadvisor are:Hotel Saturnia, Hotel Firenze, Hotel a La Commedia, All'Angelo Art Hotel, Hotel Dona Palace

18 minutes ago, auburngirl said:

Yes  This cruise leaves from Trieste.  Also, we will be flying into Venice.  Thought the train would be more convenient/economical to get from airport.

There is no train service between the airport and Venice!

If you fly into VCE, you will take a taxi or the ATVO express bus into Venice.  Both take 20 minutes. A taxi will cost about 45E. The ATVO is 10E pp.   Both will drop you at Piazzale Roma, which is the last point of land travel in Venice. It's basically a big parking lot for buses, taxis and cars.  It's also only a block from the Grand Canal ! and there is a vaporetto stop there.  You can be at St Marks in 30 minutes!  Venice is pretty small.  The Santa Lucia Train Station is on the OPPOSITE side of the canal from P Roma, so you would need to cross a large bridge to get to the station.

PRoma is a popular area to stay for cruisers due to the convenience factor.  There are a few hotels right on the square, or if you can manage 1 small bridge and a block or 2, there are several more hotel options.

'How Many Bridges?' hotel listings for Piazzale Roma | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

If you want to avoid the bridge to SLucia train staion, you could catch the train from Venice MEstre instead.  Mestre is on the mainland, as you approach Venice; about a 15 minute cab ride, 30E.

I took the train from Mestre to Trieste in Sept.  I wanted to ensure that I got a seat so I booked a high speed train, Business Class with seat selection and a snack/coffee for under 20E. 

• Like 1

Venice is one of my favorite cities.  Funny thing is I get lost easily but I've never been lost in Venice.  All signs point to St Marks, Rialto bridge or the train station, so as long as I know where I want to go from those places, I'm ok.  Loved the review.

Judy

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

There is no train service between the airport and Venice!

If you fly into VCE, you will take a taxi or the ATVO express bus into Venice.  Both take 20 minutes. A taxi will cost about 45E. The ATVO is 10E pp.   Both will drop you at Piazzale Roma, which is the last point of land travel in Venice. It's basically a big parking lot for buses, taxis and cars.  It's also only a block from the Grand Canal ! and there is a vaporetto stop there.  You can be at St Marks in 30 minutes!  Venice is pretty small.  The Santa Lucia Train Station is on the OPPOSITE side of the canal from P Roma, so you would need to cross a large bridge to get to the station.

The Alilaguna Vaporetto is another option.  It worked well for us.  Admit this was about a decade ago.  

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

11 hours ago, auburngirl said:

You don't have to check them out...but a few I have found through friends or on tripadvisor are:Hotel Saturnia, Hotel Firenze, Hotel a La Commedia, All'Angelo Art Hotel, Hotel Dona Palace

I wasn't able to find a couple of these in a search, but the ones I did see (Hotel Saturia, All'Angelo Ari Hotel, and Hotel Dona Palace) all appear to have a good location to San Marco and Rialto and are closely accessible to a canal, but not the Grand Canal, which is where the water bus is going to run. I would expect a taxi could get you to the closest waterway.

Per your plan while here, I think you would be better off getting one of these hotels closer to what you want to see, even though it will make your initial trip in and out a little more difficult. From my hotel, it is at least a 20 minute walk to Rialto and another ten to San Marco (where the Doges palace is, as well). 

I'll take some photos of some bridges today to give you an idea of what to expect. Learned that you can take a gondola across the grand canal at places for 2 euro to save the climb over a bridge. 

And don't let me scare you with my tales; I can be a little stubborn in accepting assistance and like to walk, there are actually quite a few transportation options in town that would make my travels a lot easier.

Cheers,

11 hours ago, Deeliteful said:

Thank you for your review Dustin, thoroughly enjoying it and Venice is one of my favourite cities. Glad you’re enjoying it so much.

Cheers

Pat

Thank you! Now that I have my bearings, really enjoying the city. Just need it to stop raining today...

10 hours ago, F19810 said:

Venice is one of my favorite cities.  Funny thing is I get lost easily but I've never been lost in Venice.  All signs point to St Marks, Rialto bridge or the train station, so as long as I know where I want to go from those places, I'm ok.  Loved the review.

Judy

You learned faster than I did 🙂, I agree, once I figured out the signs and main bridges, things got a lot better!

Thanks

10 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Excellent review.  You sure packed a lot of sights and activities into this trip. Well done !

Thanks. Looking forward to resting when I get home!

8 hours ago, Missusdubbya said:

Wonderful review, thanks Dustin. So sorry for your loss, I think your wife would love your tributes to her memory.

Thanks for all that! More than some other places, it seems like Venice is a 'couples town', so it has been comforting to think that Dee Dee is here with me in spirit.

• Like 1

The breakfast situation at the hotel…not what I usually eat for breakfast but it is all very good!  They also serve coffees and make a great cappuccino. 
IMG_6278.thumb.jpeg.c276319ae4c9e2d8c0ad64c8cbf2f038.jpegIMG_6277.thumb.jpeg.8a2b72ef694b5fa8ae7a3e0b6dd71def.jpeg

Weather not looking very good…

IMG_6279.thumb.png.2b4de4bbbc9aa2ace6f7942de3af1418.png

13 hours ago, auburngirl said:

Thanks!  I have been on Trip Advisor for several weeks.  I think I may be over thinking it!  I had back surgery February 2022 (Extremely bad rutured disc - but healed now).  I am now extremely careful with my back.  I may just do laundry on the ship.  We are going on the Norwegian Dawn 11/14/23  It is 10 days (all ports - no sea days).  We will stay 2 days pre-cruise in Venice and 2 days post in Istanbul.  It is primarily a  Greek Isles cruise.

I have faith in you and your ability to do laundry! It will help your back too! 

With the poor weather (it is getting better), went to the Leonardo Da Vinci museum. 9 euro fee, took about an hour to explore. First floor is dedicated to his life and work, with originals and reproductions. Upstairs is an engineers playground with hands on reproductions of his inventions. Fun for kids and curious adults. 

I was surprised to find that Leonardo had sketched Dee Dee as a young lady! 

IMG_6297.png

IMG_6293.jpeg

• Like 13

IMG_6281.thumb.jpeg.586b5887c83e789371d9c756c064260a.jpegGot caught in a rain storm so waiting it out under cover. Here are examples of bridges. This is one of the large ones over the Grand canal. 

Sample of the smaller bridges connecting the islands. IMG_6284.thumb.jpeg.de422b1b1c1750174ff23c3feea1a363.jpeg

IMG_6285.thumb.jpeg.86a252adced5a20f1bab3b0d01a618a8.jpeg

IMG_6298.thumb.jpeg.634a9a89d472617a014d5b905cb72fd1.jpeg

also saw this porter going over a bridge. Porters were available at the exit to the people mover and probably at other busy spots. No idea on the cost. 

IMG_6283.thumb.jpeg.f6e3976f35cbe9c895774db4a2875820.jpeg

and an example of a water taxi. 
IMG_6300.thumb.jpeg.5dec26f36488351de2829baee8c53e24.jpeg

• Like 6

Rainy weather was perfect for an afternoon at the Gallerie dell Accadema. First off, here the bridge to get across the grand canal in front of the place:  

IMG_6313.thumb.jpeg.37f55bfe6ab740851c5b05182da97a47.jpeg

Cast was 18 euro for a ticket with the audio guide. The audio was a must for me as I know very little about art. Spent almost three hours there, as the weather was crummy and my evening tour was hours away, wanted to see it all. There were some areas closed off for repair and/or renovations. Some of my photos below. 

well worth the time to visit. 

IMG_6312.jpeg

IMG_6311.jpeg

IMG_6310.jpeg

IMG_6309.jpeg

IMG_6308.jpeg

IMG_6305.jpeg

IMG_6304.jpeg

• Like 4

On the way back, stopped to resupply the room with wine - and I had to try Italian cheese puffs. This purchase cost a total of 5.68 euro. 

jyesysec.png.3100aa3e57ce81ee321dfab022d29308.png

Edited by DandDM
Rotated photo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, DandDM said:

With the poor weather (it is getting better), went to the Leonardo Da Vinci museum. 9 euro fee, took about an hour to explore. First floor is dedicated to his life and work, with originals and reproductions. Upstairs is an engineers playground with hands on reproductions of his inventions. Fun for kids and curious adults. 

I was surprised to find that Leonardo had sketched Dee Dee as a young lady! 

IMG_6297.png

IMG_6293.jpeg

Glad to hear a review of the daVinci museum! We were wanting to go to the one in Florence but may not have time, so this sounds like a good back-up option. Do you think it would be engaging for teens?

This evening had a food and wine tour. In Venice, they call small plates (like tapas) Cicchetti. We met in a Church courtyard near the train station...and my phone app sent me to the wrong one!  I got there five minutes early and was looking for folks and asking around with no luck. Started to think that it was cancelled because of the rain. Right at the starting time got a call, and it was the tour guide - the courtyard I was looking for was not more than 100 yards away, on the other side of a canal.

We stopped at four places and had eight different food items and five wines. While all was good, didn't have quite as much fun as the Rome food tour, I think it was the poor weather and not quite as festive tour group. Regardless, the food and wine were good; realized that I really like the local red wines, they remind me of the Pinot Noirs I drink at home.  Some photos below; I missed one food item (risotto). Also didn't take wine photos; first two places served red wine, then white, then prosecco (got photos of that with the food). The tour was heavy on seafood, which is a big part of the traditional diet here.

While walking to our first stop, the tour guide pointed out on of the oldest bridges in the city which has not been retrofitted with handrails:

IMG_6318.jpg.7308eff2264c1c4e3e2c90ab5a4b98b9.jpg

Doing my best to remember this stuff; a local fish service three ways. 

IMG_6323.jpg.07d4882ae6e03ef195bafb435f4adcbd.jpg

IMG_6322.jpg.31c45ee1c4696aa72c06d326209b820f.jpg

0o0jr1zk.png.0e2f7a677f62648b32033c3aea0d5020.png

Two meet and bread items that I completely forgot the names of - but I do remember that the owner represented Venice in a music competition that sounded like Euro vision, but wasn't.

IMG_6319.jpg.58556f33709172b5e9d74f54452a709e.jpg

cwtbb5c9.png.bc7218ee08f5c805eb2345729b54eafc.png

Squid in its ink, served on polenta with prosecco; then a breaded fish, also on polenta

58v6e7ll.png.540bf63806188f808cd4d5c0957a5472.png

960p0i4j.png.21868ffd9f63dbf36bb3d46370489e89.png

Finished with Tiramisu with a sweeter prosecco..  I should have taken better notes and/or paid more attention - was pretty busy with the food, drink and company 🙂

sn246vpa.png.02cd03649f2fd6e494f971706fdbdcc6.png

Edited by DandDM
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, fishiecrackers said:

Glad to hear a review of the daVinci museum! We were wanting to go to the one in Florence but may not have time, so this sounds like a good back-up option. Do you think it would be engaging for teens?

Yes, the upstairs area was a bit like an intelligent arcade - you can interact with the replica machines to see how they worked. A number of kids (and adults) were there having a good time. The kids would probably get board with each machine after a short while, but I still think it would be fun. The downstairs is a traditional museum, so you might send them up early if they get restless!

• Haha 1

Quick update on transportation - I am talking the easy way out and letting the hotel arrange it.  

Per the email I received when I booked, airport transport through the hotel was going to cost 150 euro. Based on that, was researching other options, with the most likely being to walk to the Roma park area to catch a cab for about 50 euro. When I talked to the front desk, they said they could have someone meet me at the hotel and drop me off at the airport for 80 euro. Since I know that last day with the international travel will be stressful, decided to do this. I really don't need help with my one little bag, and I'm probably wasting some money, but I need to leave pretty early in the morning so this way I don't have to figure out the taxi situation, or really stress about it at all. I am also going to be able to leave 30 minutes later as I won't need to build extra time in for unexpected issues (will leave enough time for regular issues, though). 

Will, of course, report back on what really happens! 

Edited by DandDM
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, DandDM said:

Quick update on transportation - I am talking the easy way out and letting the hotel arrange it.  

When I talked to the front desk, they said they could have someone meet me at the hotel and drop me off at the airport for 80 euro. Since I know that last day with the international travel will be stressful, decided to do this.

You're getting a private water taxi for 80E ?? That's an amazing price. Typical cost is 150E.

I'm a budget traveller, so I always use the ATVO airport express bus from Piazzale Roma. 10E for the 20 minute ride.  There's a bus leaving every half hour, so super convenient.  

Linea n. 35 (atvo.it)

You're wise to take an early flight. VCE is pretty chaotic after noon-time but early morning is pretty easy. In Oct I had a 6:30am flight;  was at my gate in less than an hr. 

Have a smooth flight home!

14 hours ago, DandDM said:

IMG_6281.thumb.jpeg.586b5887c83e789371d9c756c064260a.jpegGot caught in a rain storm so waiting it out under cover. Here are examples of bridges. This is one of the large ones over the Grand canal. 

Sample of the smaller bridges connecting the islands. IMG_6284.thumb.jpeg.de422b1b1c1750174ff23c3feea1a363.jpeg

IMG_6285.thumb.jpeg.86a252adced5a20f1bab3b0d01a618a8.jpeg

IMG_6298.thumb.jpeg.634a9a89d472617a014d5b905cb72fd1.jpeg

also saw this porter going over a bridge. Porters were available at the exit to the people mover and probably at other busy spots. No idea on the cost. 

IMG_6283.thumb.jpeg.f6e3976f35cbe9c895774db4a2875820.jpeg

and an example of a water taxi. 
IMG_6300.thumb.jpeg.5dec26f36488351de2829baee8c53e24.jpeg

8 hours ago, auburngirl said:

Think I will get a porter!  Lol

Just to ease your fears, NO ONE with any sense would drag their luggage over that unless they were going RIGHT there across the “street” (judge that guy hard)....the most you would have to do would be the tiny ones he has pictures of already, 6-10 steps up and down.  Your hotel may very well not have any steps over any canals after you get off the water bus.  The luggage folk can be helpful though! 

I think i took my carry on bag (that we had for 16 days) over that after I had lunch across from the train station and a magnum bar and my mom wanted to sit around at Burger King (hahahaha) while my dad and I took one last trip on the water bus down the grand canal.  We took the water bus TO that spot, and that was the only stairs we dealt with and that was by choice.