Pre cruise hotel in New York

janymac

Hello fellow cruisers,

I am looking at our next cruise and was eyeing the Spirit from New York

for the January 2nd 2007 sailing. Where would be the best place to stay since we would be coming up on Jan 1st and the rooms in NYC would be totally outrageous I would think, is there something on the outskirts that

would be economical but within an hour of the terminal? We would be driving up from PA and we would park at the terminal.

If anyone can give me a few pointers on the ship, the hotels in the area

and the parking. I think this is fabulous that they have winter cruises that are within driving distance.

I look forward to the responses.

janymac:p

Here is a link to the pier parking - http://www.nypst.com - parking will cost you $180 for the 11 nights.

I do not know where in PA you are from, we are from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, and took a Martz bus to and from our 11 night cruise in November 05.

Here is a link to what I wrote about the Spirit after our cruise.

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=265372&highlight=hits+misses

There is a small chance that we may be shipmates on this cruise...

but, we will probably book the 2/2/07 8 night Spirit cruise.

Have fun!!

• 2 weeks later...

I found that parking after some searching. We are in the Harrisburg area and driving would be the cheapest of all driving modes.

I will check out your links. If we go, this will be the one as it fits into the college break timeframe, there are two of us, myself, on my second wave of schooling for my job I want to do when I grow and my youngest.

Thanks for the tips, will keep looking for more info on the Spirit

janymac;)

Hello fellow cruisers,

I am looking at our next cruise and was eyeing the Spirit from New York

for the January 2nd 2007 sailing. Where would be the best place to stay since we would be coming up on Jan 1st and the rooms in NYC would be totally outrageous I would think, is there something on the outskirts that

would be economical but within an hour of the terminal? We would be driving up from PA and we would park at the terminal.

If anyone can give me a few pointers on the ship, the hotels in the area

and the parking. I think this is fabulous that they have winter cruises that are within driving distance.

I look forward to the responses.

janymac:p

January 1st is a Monday so I think you'll not find hotels expensive in NYC for the night of 1/1/07. What is your budget? How many people? I think you could easily get a 4* hotel for $125 and parking would cost you $25-$50 for the night. Why not just stay in Manhattan?

Reasonable hotels:

Clarion Fifth Avenue

The Travel Inn

Milford Plaza

The Belvedere

Little more expensive:

Park South

Salisbury

any of the Affina hotels (www.Affina.com)

• 4 weeks later...

I have not tried to get a hotel in NYC as of the day....people hanging around after the great festivities!!

There will be 4 adults but depending on where we get,we could do some sightseeing that day before we leave.

I will check the ones you mentioned.

Thanks

janymac

First I'd like to know where you are coming from. Since parking will be easy on New Years Day, you could stay outside the city and just drive in for the day. On Priceline you should be able to get very good prices at the Hyatt in Jersey City or just about anything in Woodbridge NJ, less than an hour drive. You can also look in Secaucus and the Meadowlands. At any of these locations you should be able to get 2 rooms for less than the cost of one in Manhattan.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be coming from Harrisburg, PA which is about a three to four hour drive. I want to be able to enjoy the day in the city but where do we park? I have not a clue where to park for the day and take the metro,

when we come up, we have stayed in Manhattan but that was when one of our friends worked for the Westin, nice to have friends like that!!

There are four adults but we are not too picky for one night.....

Thanks janetz, I found that site but still a bit pricey for my tastes!

thanks Signman:p

I just posted this for someone else - you would have to call the hotel for parking

The New Yorker Hotel which if you come out of Penn Station and your facing the Hotel Pennsylvania - make a left go to the corner and make another left the New Yorker is the next block on the other side of the street its about $125. Check Hotels.com web site. Area is safe. The TickTock Diner is attached to the hotel and the food is great. I had asked for a room with two double beds and when we got there we had two full bathrooms also. Rooms are dated but huge and spick and span compared to the closets that most NY hotels are. The Empire State building is right there as is Macys you cannot go wrong. This hotel is at the back of Penn Station that is how close you are. Do Not Stay at the Hotel Pennsylvania which is right across the street it's horrible and a closet. My daughter works in the city and I'm there alot so I know my way around. Any questions please yell.

Archived