Panama Canal Jan '24...

waylandertoo

well that was an unexpected booking for us.

Searching for a holiday to go on suddenly 'the stars aligned' and we found a 'stay and cruise' for early January 2024. A canal transit had been on our wishl-ist for a while but we could never find one that worked with our time-table - we had even considered going Cunard from Southampton to San Francisco, but we're not dress-up people and the thought of a monkey suit really didn't fill me with joy. Suddenly we had a short-notice message pop up - 4 days in Vegas (so in reality 2 full days) and then fly to LA for the Emerald... excellent! All we need to do now is figure out what trips to book - already excited 😁

Nice!!

Do you have a plan for activities in Vegas? If not, consider renting a car and take a day trip to Zion National Park in Utah. It is about a 2+ hour drive filled with desert landscapes. Zion is kind of a reverse Grand Canyon experience as you look up at the scenery in Zion as opposed to looking down at the Grand Canyon. Lots of short hikes available with a free shuttle to access the park attractions. Also, consider a half day/full day visit to Hoover Dam and Lake Mead. Be sure to access the highway bridge (can't remember the official name, .... Tillman Bridge) for the exceptional views of the lake, dam and Colorado River.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2023 at 5:02 PM, EDDY0827 said:

Nice!!

Do you have a plan for activities in Vegas? If not, consider renting a car and take a day trip to Zion National Park in Utah. It is about a 2+ hour drive filled with desert landscapes. Zion is kind of a reverse Grand Canyon experience as you look up at the scenery in Zion as opposed to looking down at the Grand Canyon. Lots of short hikes available with a free shuttle to access the park attractions. Also, consider a half day/full day visit to Hoover Dam and Lake Mead. Be sure to access the highway bridge (can't remember the official name, .... Tillman Bridge) for the exceptional views of the lake, dam and Colorado River.

we don't really have a plan - at first I was thinking of being a typical tourist and just booking a trip but after reading your response I had a bit of a word with myself, what on earth was I thinking???! A 2 day car hire would be an excellent opportunity to get out there and look at The Hoover Dam and one (both?) of the canyons (Brice and Grand) at our own pace. 👍

If you don't plan on "doing the whole Vegas" thing and do rent a car, Mt. Charleston is a very nice drive up into the nearby mountains which is a nice break from "Crazy Vegas" (although *everybody* needs to experience "Crazy Vegas" at some point in their life!)  There is a point on the drive up the mountain where you can look off the right down into the valley and see one of the areas used as an atomic bomb testing site.  There is a small plaque on the side of the road...that's the only way I know about it.  If you're not paying attention you will blink and miss it.  There's a very nice little restaurant up there and the temps are very often 20 degrees below what you have in Vegas itself.  It makes for a very nice day trip.

• Thanks 1