CD's Pre-C: Please post who came back, with current ship if known.

FetaCheese

11 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Is Ray Carr back?  Really enjoyed having him in 2019 on Insignia.

Thanks 

Ray’s initial retirement was short lived - having agreed to return to O for the current ATW.

Right now, he’s home in Bali on vacation. 

IMO, Ray sets the “gold standard” for Oceania CDs - with just the right mix of adventure guide, raconteur and somewhat irreverent comedic talent - all wrapped up in an exemplary manager of the cruise experience for crew and passengers alike. It is no wonder that he is the only Oceania CD ever to have been awarded prestigious membership in “The Friends of Johnny Tokyo.”

However, the spectrum of CDs on O is wide-ranging.

Of course, with the understanding that different CD “styles” appeal to different passengers, I have found a different Oceania CD, John Clelford, to be at the lowest end of that spectrum. John’s problem is along the lines of being perceived by many passengers as disingenuous and providing only the minimum effort required for his job - particularly when compared to O’s long time CDs like Leslie John, Dottie Kulasa and, of course, Ray Carr (and even some of the newer ones like Peter Roberts [who preceded Clelford on one of our Marina cruises] and John Ekin who has transferred to Regent). Those CDs each have a distinctive “style.” But, what they share in common (and what is painfully absent in Clelford) is a genuine/palpable affection for their employer and for the passengers. In all honesty (and with apologies if I am wrong), I cannot recall a single Captain’s Welcome event nor any O Club party where Mr. Clelford “worked the room” after the speeches were done. Perhaps it’s a small detail. But, O regulars notice that stuff and commented negatively about it throughout a cruise.

Add to that his dismissive “lip service” (or deaf ear) behavior regarding passengers’ stated (and bona fide) issues did create a bottom-line perception that “he couldn’t care less.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I still consider it one of my greatest honors in life (to be fair, my only honor) to be present the day the esteemed Mr. Carr joined The Friends Of Johnny Tokyo. The much revered Kissing Of The Ring ceremony was deeply moving. Everyone was in tears at the end. Mostly from laughing so much.

It is great news that Ray is back in the Oceania fold. He is the best for sure.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

I still consider it one of my greatest honors in life (to be fair, my only honor) to be present the day the esteemed Mr. Carr joined The Friends Of Johnny Tokyo. The much revered Kissing Of The Ring ceremony was deeply moving. Everyone was in tears at the end. Mostly from laughing so much.

It is great news that Ray is back in the Oceania fold. He is the best for sure.

Lest we forget, remember that Ray’s faithful companion, Luigi, was similarly honored on that memorable day.

Long live the Friends of Johnny Tokyo! 

28EF177A-7399-4CD2-B7F4-C817E950916A.png

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2023 at 8:34 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

... IMO, Ray sets the “gold standard” for Oceania CDs - with just the right mix of adventure guide, raconteur and somewhat irreverent comedic talent - all wrapped up in an exemplary manager of the cruise experience for crew and passengers alike. ... However, the spectrum of CDs on O is wide-ranging. Of course, with the understanding that different CD “styles” appeal to different passengers...

So entirely subjective.

I suspect the social science research might indicate that your evaluation of any CD might be correlated with how many times you productively interacted with them?

I've read so many seemingly rip into Dottie and Paul. I experienced both--Sirena, 11/2022 and Riviera, 12/2021, respectively. The critiques of them were NOT what I experienced at all. But then I worshipped with Dottie twice (she lead the non-denominational Christian service), ran into her at the grocery store in downtown San Juan (as I was looking for a place to buy alcohol most inexpensively, including quality rum), and she helped me publicize a self-hosted a Veterans' meet & great on an additional unplanned sea day. And as for Paul, he wow'd me with the Veterans' meet & greet he hosted, remembering all 34 or so of us by name (working backward after we each introduced ourselves) and I enjoyed speaking with him later around the ship, often with another veteran present.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

So entirely subjective.

I suspect the social science research might indicate that your evaluation of any CD might be correlated with how many times you productively interacted with them?

In the case of Clelford, it wasn’t just one cruise or one interaction/observation. And I wasn’t the only person very dissatisfied. In addition, my assessment has a professional component from multiple perspectives (I won’t bore you with the details).

4 hours ago, softly darlene said:

@FetaCheese, I love your member name

Thanks, of Greek heritage, and am a connoisseur of feta cheeses, of which many countries make it.  Prefer Bulgarian Feta ( they can't call it feta, EU rules) but is the same as Greek feta, made with sheep's milk. More tangy than Greek. 

• Like 3