Brugge--- are museums close together (a museum district) or spread out?

With DW being a (now retired) art teacher, we will be very interested in museums when our cruise will have the port for Brugge.

I researched and after eliminating 2 museums, one closed on Mondays and the other closed entirely for renovations, I came up with 5 art museums.

Groegnmuseum

Museum Sculpta

Museum of the Church of Our Lady

Dali Expo Gallery

Our Lady of the Blind

I also found a French Fry Museum, and that sounds so whimsical that to me it is a must see, and a break from just art.

Does anyone know how close these are, and how practical it is to see several of them? Keep in my mind that DW can spend lots of time at every picture.

The first four are very close to each other - no more than 5-10 minutes’ walk apart.

The last one is slightly further - maybe 15 minutes - but the historic centre of Bruges is very compact and delightful to walk around.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gumshoe958 said:

The first four are very close to each other - no more than 5-10 minutes’ walk apart.

The last one is slightly further - maybe 15 minutes - but the historic centre of Bruges is very compact and delightful to walk around.

Thank you that is super helpful! 😊

16 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Actually, I told DW this, and she already knew.

I had the address next to the musuems. She googled a map and mapped them out. I guess that is why she has a great sense of direction, while I am always lost. 😉

You are not allowed to visit Brugge without sampling the hot chocolate. The Old Chocolate House, just off Simon Stevinplein is probably the best, but there are several others.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bob++ said:

You are not allowed to visit Brugge without sampling the hot chocolate. The Old Chocolate House, just off Simon Stevinplein is probably the best, but there are several others.

Maybe there will be hot chocolate at the French Fry Museum. I know they must have some sort of dining facility because their website says you get a discount on the French Fries when you show your museum ticket.

1 hour ago, Beachlover1989 said:

Bruges has been perhaps our most favorite European port!  We took a very fun taxi to city center and then could basically walk the entire city easily!  Such a wonderful little town!

Thank you, we are looking forward to visiting there.

On 5/12/2023 at 9:47 AM, Beachlover1989 said:

Bruges has been perhaps our most favorite European port!  We took a very fun taxi to city center and then could basically walk the entire city easily!  Such a wonderful little town!

Bruges looks really wonderful.. We have a port stop there and are trying to decide whether to take a taxi into to town or to do a shore excursion.  Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, MichelleR1963 said:

Bruges looks really wonderful.. We have a port stop there and are trying to decide whether to take a taxi into to town or to do a shore excursion.  Thoughts?

Just a taxi - Bruges is so easy to do on your own! Research a great lunch spot for mussels, buy some Belgian chocolates, take a canal tour, visit the church, get a beer at De Halve Maan, and fries at one of the little shops at Market Square. 

44 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

Just a taxi - Bruges is so easy to do on your own! Research a great lunch spot for mussels, buy some Belgian chocolates, take a canal tour, visit the church, get a beer at De Halve Maan, and fries at one of the little shops at Market Square. 

Good news.  We have 10 hours in port.  Did you have to call for a taxi or were there taxi's at the port?  I'm trying to determine how much I need to prearrange.  Do  you happen to know if they take US currency and what a cab might cost?  Did you have any issues with the language?  Were there any issues getting a cab back to the port?

54 minutes ago, MichelleR1963 said:

Good news.  We have 10 hours in port.  Did you have to call for a taxi or were there taxi's at the port?  I'm trying to determine how much I need to prearrange.  Do  you happen to know if they take US currency and what a cab might cost?  Did you have any issues with the language?  Were there any issues getting a cab back to the port?

This is the email for the taxi company which we prearranged beforehand: martinstaxi@skynet.be.  It was great, because they were waiting for us and we arranged a time for him to return and get us.  He spoke English well so no language barrier.  It was 110€, but this was 2019 so probably more now.  The trip from Zebrugge to Bruges takes about 30 minutes.  It's Europe so you will need euros everywhere, or a credit card.  They definitely don't want US currency.