Mirrorless Camera Recommendations - Canon Recommendations for Alaska Trip

BazAl

Good Day,

So a bit about me – I’ve fallen behind times. Completely Obsolete.

History: Have a Canon 7D, used it as a hobby/on trips, used to love photography- wildlife and landscapes – mostly nature shots. Was about to transition/test astrophotography after buying that Sigma 14mm f/1.8 + tripod. Then I got into a situation where I couldn’t do weights. Then I moved and equipment was left at my old place, then COVID happened… and here I am

So in the mean time mirrorless cameras have been invented LOL! I am seriously considering transitioning to one since they are lighter (no mirrors) and I assume faster. Looks like you can also use an adapter for my DSLR lenses without losing speed or light.

I have an upcoming trip to Alaska in the summer - Cruise followed by Self-Drive Land Tour, and I would love to renew my love/hobby for taking photos. I’m looking for Mirrorless Camera recommendations. My budget $2000 +/- depending on what’s available (hopefully with 1 lens??). Given inflation, I’m not sure what I can afford – Costco used to sell Cameras not anymore. I’m partial to Canon products.

I always wanted a full frame sensor – but given my budget and taking pictures is more of a hobby than a career, I may go with a crop sensor for now. I think the weight/weight of lenses and cost is a bit off putting for now. Again my focus is wildlife and scenery/landscapes. I’m aware that crop-sensors probably aren’t the best for landscapes.

Any advice/thoughts are appreciated!!

PS.  Any recommendations on lenses recommendations for my trip or even youtube tutorials are appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I went from a Canon DSLR (T5, I think?) to a Canon RP three years ago. My budget was $1,000 and I bought just the body and the adapter since I already had several lenses that would transition over. It’s full frame with the capability to change the cropping/aspect ratio to several options, including 1.6 for those crop sensor lenses. I’m very happy with it. It’s traveled from the Caribbean to Europe to the Galapagos and it has performed like a champ. I’m sold on mirrorless. I take mostly nature photos with some travel shots thrown in as well. Good luck with your decision-making!

As a hobby photographer and since I shoot wildlife with my weatherproofed Olympus M1X and EM-1 MkIII, I cannot give you advice on Canon mirrorless accessories.  I do use a Canon G7 MK111 as a pocket camera.

Once you go mirrorless with their lightweight accessories, you will never look back.  With automatic bird detection, image stabilization, 60 fps, and autofocus with tracking, wildlife photos are a piece of cake.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 4:06 AM, Crew News said:

As a hobby photographer and since I shoot wildlife with my weatherproofed Olympus M1X and EM-1 MkIII, I cannot give you advice on Canon mirrorless accessories.

I'm also seriously considering ditching my Canon DSLRs and going to a Micro Four Thirds body.  It got to such a hassle dragging around my gear that I haven't taken it on a cruise since before Covid.

I'm leaning toward an OM-5, but the EM-1 Mkiii also looks interesting.  I don't shoot sports/action nearly as much as I used to, but it would be nice to be able to still do so from time to time.  (I'm looking at and ED 40-150 f4 pro and ED 12-45 f4 pro for lenses).

Thoughts?

27 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I'm also seriously considering ditching my Canon DSLRs and going to a Micro Four Thirds body.  It got to such a hassle dragging around my gear that I haven't taken it on a cruise since before Covid.

I'm leaning toward an OM-5, but the EM-1 Mkiii also looks interesting.  I don't shoot sports/action nearly as much as I used to, but it would be nice to be able to still do so from time to time.  (I'm looking at and ED 40-150 f4 pro and ED 12-45 f4 pro for lenses).

Thoughts?

I would go with the Mkiii and just the 12-100 F4.0.  You can push the ISO with the Mkiii for poorly lit photos and it is weather sealed for shooting in the rain. The 12-100 lens is my lens for cruising except for Alaska, where I shoot wildlife   One 4/3 camera and one lens saves weight for traveling and carrying on an excursion.