Random Thoughts on Explorer 4/23/23 TA from Miami

First time we went west to east on a TA.  It was difficult to keep having 23 hour days, ,but they were 6 straight sea days so that helped.  Then we could not dock in the Azores because of the weather, so we had a total of 9 straight sea days. Then we stopped at Malaga, Cartagena, Barcelona, Toulouse and Corsica on the last hive days before docking in Rome.

For only the second time I got to play duplicate bridge all 9 days at sea from 1PM to 4PM in the fourth deck dining hall.  It was not run by RC, we were on our own.  Jim took over, with help from a few others, and we had a well organised competition every day.  There would be 10 or 11 pairs every day, with the results being posted the next day. RC did provide a bottle of champagne for the winning pair every day.  The only other time I had played duplicate was on the Mariner in 2018 On the Dubai to Barcelona cruise.  For that one a man and wife hired by RC ran the show, quite well.  Was told most TA have high participation  bridge games.

Another item which was well attended were the Friends  of Bill W meetings in the chapel at 10AM.  There were 14 people there the first day, and at least 8 or 9 every other day. Many claimed it was the largest participation they had seen at sea.

The ice show was very good, they hooked me when they started with Moody Blues symphony orchestra music.

MDR options for vegans was limited to one starter,one main course and one desert, with some repeats.  I also eat fish, so I had a few additional options.  Overall the food quality was just OK.

The tv sports were very hit and miss, NBA playoffs on at midnight or later, plenty of tennis and rugby and football(soccer)
Next Cruise got me a cabin on 4/28/24 Anthem TA out of NJ. Cheap deposit and extra OBC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1