Luggage policy for Alaska land portion

piper

I’m sort of confused on the luggage policy for the Alaska land portion of our cruise (which takes place prior to the cruise). The way I interpret the policy is that you have a “Join Me Tonight” small suitcase with the clothing, toiletries, etc that you need for the land portion and that will be delivered to the lodges. Then you can have a “Join Me Onboard” larger suitcase that will be stored until it is delivered to your ship stateroom.  Additionally you are allowed a backpack that you keep with you at all times.  For those of you who have done the land portion, is this a correct interpretation?

TIA

IMG_1081.jpeg

We did the land tour followed by a cruise in Alaska in late May of 2022 and had the same concerns. Turned out that there wasn't a single bag per person limit for the Join Me Tonight nor the Join Me Onboard categories. Upon arrival to the first lodge from the airport we were given information envelopes which also contained the bag tags. More bag tags were available upon request and there was no issue at all.

Flying into a cruise tour has become much more difficult due to baggage restrictions by the airlines.  Traveling as a couple is not so bad.  One piece of (shared) luggage can go to the ship.  The other piece (shared) can go on your tour.  

Unless you are driving, I can't imagine that you would need 2 to go on your tour and one being sent to the ship.

Remember that you have to place your luggage outside every night/morning before your next adventure.

With all that said, I did this decades ago.  I sent warm clothes to the ship and took cold clothes with me.  Mistake #1.  It was so hot on the land portion. Mistake #2.  It was freezing on the train.  

There is no harm in dragging both luggage with you on the land portion.  Although, it makes it cumbersome.

• Like 1

You are right except that your "join me tonight" does not have to be a "smaller" suitcase---it can be regular size.   When my husband and I did a land tour pre cruise (the land portion was actually longer than the cruise), we each had on the land portion a normal size suitcase, and a carry on each (backpack/small duffle).  We then had one additional regular size suitcase that we shared that had our dressier clothing for the cruise portion that we did not need on land (this was the days still of getting dressed up at night...). 

• Like 2