ZGSCL live from the Eurodam - 7 Night Alaska Explorer - May 13, 2023

zgscl

On 5/15/2023 at 5:49 PM, MisterMatthew said:

May I ask, did you have an assigned boarding "time"?  Just wondering.  By the way, your cabin looks especially nice!  I'm "inside", but have done the inside before.

Love the EXACT same burger at Dive In.  Yum!  Is the orange smoothie a drink available there?  Or, from a bar, etc... Alcohol?

I was assigned 11:20 and ignored it completely. I came at 1:20 and virtually walked straight through everything and onto the ship. Not so for the Princess ship. That extra 1,000 people sure makes a difference. 

The cabin is a Neptune Suite and it is lovely! 

The smoothie is from the non-alcoholic menu at the pool and is $7.50. I am certain they would be happy to add alcohol for the appropriate up charge. They have strawberry, orange, banana, pineapple, pina colada and you can do single flavor or mix and match. Same menu at the Lido and Sea View pools. 

• Like 3

On 5/16/2023 at 1:16 PM, Linaeve said:

Thank you so much for sharing! I'm going next year but love to plan and seeing menus and programs for the same ship and same itinerary is just making it so much more exciting. The food overall seem to look good so far!

The food has been great, although I am doing all specialty dining and lido when that is closed. The MDR is no longer exciting to me LOL

• Like 4

My apologies for the delay! I have been quite busy and the internet has been dreadful the last few days as we travel through the inside passage between mountains. Will see if we can get better coverage this evening off Sitka. 

Sunday - Mothers Day

MDR lunch menu (same every day except Juneau has a limited menu due to arrival time)

IMG_7474.thumb.PNG.56741e25d7b9b13ba76c7c33fb035573.PNG

MDR Dinner menu

IMG_7475.thumb.PNG.0af53d5cdb556c169cb2be3e5059d195.PNG

Daily Program

IMG_7477.thumb.jpeg.a181453fce278c20dc255d3df228c172.jpeg

IMG_7478.thumb.jpeg.fe997a18f31ab256de37e087bc8cc166.jpeg

IMG_7479.thumb.jpeg.76ebb9a8cf52a2a27aff942d9892f20d.jpeg

IMG_7480.thumb.jpeg.4e2f1e6193080c9a692f988556de914d.jpeg

• Like 1

@zgscl  I am wondering if they have the non alcoholic smoothies that are lactose free?  No worries if you can’t find out, just wondering as we have the HIA in November and my husband doesn’t drink alcohol & is lactose intolerant.

As usual I am enjoying following along on your cruise! 

• Like 1

Mothers Day Brunch - Pinnacle Grill

Contrary to common practice in most specialty restaurants they did not charge extra for additional entrees. You could also choose whatever you wanted as a starter. 

IMG_7491.thumb.jpeg.3dc01b929454853b9d01c374d21d49f6.jpeg

IMG_7492.thumb.jpeg.a05433b162e066dffb0a6d1b2dfda9b6.jpeg

IMG_7493.thumb.jpeg.878a01d07d449e1c02536727bc79a79d.jpeg

Greek Yoghurt Crunch Pot

IMG_7494.thumb.jpeg.cf3378124652c45053074843edb5535c.jpeg

Pinnacle Burger 

IMG_7495.thumb.jpeg.7bcae7577e247b7f7146ef80d0ac0bd7.jpeg

Red Velvet French Toast

Kind of weird dish. The bread is too cakey to be french toast. And the topping is whipped cream which would have been better as some kind of cream cheese based frosting or glaze. I get what they were going for but it just didn't really work. 

I had red velvet pancakes at the Hilton LAX many years ago that were out of this world. I think they would do better with that and then to do a more traditional french toast. 

IMG_7497.thumb.jpeg.324a6d1d54001452e128aae26a54a455.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

@zgscl  I am wondering if they have the non alcoholic smoothies that are lactose free?  No worries if you can’t find out, just wondering as we have the HIA in November and my husband doesn’t drink alcohol & is lactose intolerant.

As usual I am enjoying following along on your cruise! 

I will ask. I think it would not be a problem - I believe they use the bar mixers as the base so they could most likely leave out any milk products (if it even contains them). The bartenders are quite creative! They have a few other non-alcoholic blended drinks as well so I think they should be able to make something work! 

• Like 1

Tamarind was great, and one of my favorite specialty restaurants. I just have to remember the Mango Posset is the desert that I am not a big fan of. 

IMG_7501.thumb.jpeg.106f3cf17a82f1ff11b3e57d3b4a3c68.jpeg

IMG_7498.thumb.jpeg.9419b4fd1e32fcc6b2e64ff0048ecd4a.jpeg

IMG_7499.thumb.jpeg.e36c77edafed50b4cfaeb31f528be91b.jpeg

IMG_7502.thumb.jpeg.ad7ba9b36f7eb3f589a8d1e4a0525608.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, zgscl said:

I will ask. I think it would not be a problem - I believe they use the bar mixers as the base so they could most likely leave out any milk products (if it even contains them). The bartenders are quite creative! They have a few other non-alcoholic blended drinks as well so I think they should be able to make something work! 

I just saw on the menu you posted above a smoothie with almond milk so as long as they don’t run out that will work!  Thanks-very timely your post 😁

• Like 1

We are racing the Princess ship to Juneau. We lost, but our ship is much prettier. 

IMG_7506.thumb.jpeg.d36537125d10658d42c92458f223d314.jpeg

They are heavily advertising the Seafood Boil in the Lido - haven't done one of these but seems like it will be in the lido one night. Almost seems to replace the Sel de Mer popup which I haven't noticed at all. 

IMG_7507.thumb.jpeg.add33aadb6effe572c80360b3cf7571b.jpeg

Late night buffet was your typical fried and leftovers. Pizza was great as it always is. 

IMG_7508.thumb.jpeg.b2253e532b0bfce738856e03c5d57ca6.jpeg

IMG_7509.thumb.jpeg.8d0032032573b72f441d17c72c20c26d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

I just saw on the menu you posted above a smoothie with almond milk so as long as they don’t run out that will work!  Thanks-very timely your post 😁

Not sure if they have that normally or if it was just for the Mothers Day Brunch. Probably they have access to that regularly. I feel like lactose intolerant is a pretty common thing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zgscl said:

Not sure if they have that normally or if it was just for the Mothers Day Brunch. Probably they have access to that regularly. I feel like lactose intolerant is a pretty common thing. 

We have a 35 day cruise next year and hope they don’t run out.  He hates to mention it prior to cruising so his own fault if they run out! 

• Like 1

Monday - Juneau

Totally skipped breakfast. Sleeping in was just too tempting. But I had an early lunch in the cabana which was delightful. The cabana is worth the price to simply avoid lines in the lido. I also order way too much, but thankfully didn't have to carry the multiple plates. 

IMG_7518.thumb.jpeg.a9c30978c17da40fa4deca1dbe805eb4.jpeg

The sail into Juneau is quite beautiful. We are so lucky with weather this week. 

470A9463-CD04-4CCA-975F-BBE559CFC21E.thumb.jpg.73c44ab1a832f401bbba929ad5895a68.jpg

IMG_7510.thumb.jpeg.9ecaf78c1117988d4d2a7c5cd55de226.jpeg

IMG_7511.thumb.jpeg.5e21dafac2016722fc7228b059a313df.jpeg

Lunch menu was never posted but it is an express menu. Usually fish and chips or one other option. 

Monday MDR dinner

IMG_7519.thumb.PNG.e6bac8037fcf6052a069e08f7f4da439.PNG

IMG_7520.thumb.PNG.c1b98227bc1edad8e84ee6bea3a7ffb9.PNG

Monday Daily Program

IMG_7522.thumb.jpeg.07bea305383d5bbbdff93af487a0e27e.jpeg

IMG_7523.thumb.jpeg.53508170ae6b4bec2991462b8a20fe84.jpeg

IMG_7524.thumb.jpeg.22b15102ef1745ba0feeb8ab65c76194.jpeg

IMG_7525.thumb.jpeg.c4d6e812b104acd836506a99ec115ded.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

We have a 35 day cruise next year and hope they don’t run out.  He hates to mention it prior to cruising so his own fault if they run out! 

He should totally mention it. They are so good about allergies, etc. I know they even let people pre-order the day before and they will special make whatever you want. 

• Like 2

I’m glad you tried that red velvet French toast.  I saw it in another live from and it sounded interesting.  After seeing it I think I’d have the same take as you.  I believe crew news tried the seafood boil on the NA and iirc he said it was messy and not worth it.  If I ate it I’d have to be covered in plastic and somehow I’d still get something n my clothes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, zgscl said:

He should totally mention it. They are so good about allergies, etc. I know they even let people pre-order the day before and they will special make whatever you want. 

I may mention it without him knowing just so they’ll have almonds milk or lactose free.  Thanks.  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 7:23 PM, Nola26 said:

Not the OP but I'll be on the same sailing as you, we have completed online check-in and have our boarding passes that show time and group assignment. They are located under the Check-In option "Docs" tab. I also have our boarding passes via the app. Boarding Pass is shown as soon as I open the app, just tap to see them. Boarding Pass and group are shown at the top of the pass. In the app they may also be in your Wallet under the Account tab.

Nola26,,, hi there.  Good to know.  I've got a 1:40pm "boarding time".  See you on board!!!

---Matthew

• Like 1

That’s funny about the mango posset.  I don’t mind it but the crunchy thing is a bit odd.  I find the desserts in tamarind to be meh.  I was chatting with the server in the tamarind talking about the desserts they used to have.  She asked me would you like to have the tamarind chocolate next time you come in.  I told her I’d love it.  That night she puts it down on the table and says, wait there is more.  She puts a second one down.  I got to thank the chef on the way out.  It was such a lovely thing to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zgscl said:

I was assigned 11:20 and ignored it completely. I came at 1:20 and virtually walked straight through everything and onto the ship. Not so for the Princess ship. That extra 1,000 people sure makes a difference. 

The cabin is a Neptune Suite and it is lovely! 

The smoothie is from the non-alcoholic menu at the pool and is $7.50. I am certain they would be happy to add alcohol for the appropriate up charge. They have strawberry, orange, banana, pineapple, pina colada and you can do single flavor or mix and match. Same menu at the Lido and Sea View pools. 

I appreciate your feedback, and I'll be glad once I am aboard.  (Still reading other replies and your add'l reporting at this moment.)   Thanks again!

----Matthew

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m glad you tried that red velvet French toast.  I saw it in another live from and it sounded interesting.  After seeing it I think I’d have the same take as you.  I believe crew news tried the seafood boil on the NA and iirc he said it was messy and not worth it.  If I ate it I’d have to be covered in plastic and somehow I’d still get something n my clothes.

Good to know about the seafood boil. I don’t think it sounds like something I would want to try I’d do better with the $10 lobster tail at pinnacle grill. 

I should write them about red velvet pancakes. It works a lot better. As I recall the dish actually had a sweet cream cheese butter that they served it with. It was one of the best breakfast dishes I’ve ever had and resembled the cake without being the cake. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I may mention it without him knowing just so they’ll have almonds milk or lactose free.  Thanks.  

You should totally do that 🙂

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That’s funny about the mango posset.  I don’t mind it but the crunchy thing is a bit odd.  I find the desserts in tamarind to be meh.  I was chatting with the server in the tamarind talking about the desserts they used to have.  She asked me would you like to have the tamarind chocolate next time you come in.  I told her I’d love it.  That night she puts it down on the table and says, wait there is more.  She puts a second one down.  I got to thank the chef on the way out.  It was such a lovely thing to do.

So the ice cream is good. I think the rest is a waste of space. Last time I just asked for 3 scoops of the mango and I was very happy. 
Ill have to ask about the chocolate that looks great! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

My lovely tamarind chocolate dessert.  I hope you don't mind me posting it.

20230421_190208.jpg

Wow. Now that looks like a nice dessert-can I order it when I’m on the ship in November!!! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zgscl said:

Good to know about the seafood boil. I don’t think it sounds like something I would want to try I’d do better with the $10 lobster tail at pinnacle grill. 

I should write them about red velvet pancakes. It works a lot better. As I recall the dish actually had a sweet cream cheese butter that they served it with. It was one of the best breakfast dishes I’ve ever had and resembled the cake without being the cake. 

I'm not a pancake person usually but that sounds great.

• Like 1