WiFi - AT&T Cruise vs. Carnival WiFi

UGACamper

Data is unlimited on the onboard plans We also get free wifi in Mexican ports.I guess it depends what you use it for..if you want to make a lot of phone calls maybe the ATT plan? But the data restrictions would not make it worthwhile to me so we go with the onboard plan

As a general rule, I purchase the carnival value plan for internet access on board and the AT&T cruise package for unlimited calls and texting while on board. The included data through the AT&T cruise plan is very limited … and expensive if you use more than the included data.  As Pinto18 mentioned above, free data, texting and calls are included with AT&T in Mexico. They also offer an international day pass for $10 per 24 hour period. It covers most every port. 

Onboard most ships, AT&T will be piggy backing off (if not supplying) the ship's equipment. Most ships' WiFi is much slower than what you're accustom to.  200MB included in the $100 plan literally won't last more than a few moments.  You need to due the math to see if the data/ talk adds up for you.

I live in the Los Angeles area and cruise to cruise, so most all cruises we do are out of Los Angeles -- which always include Mexico.  We had an AT&T plan that included unlimited calling in Mexico, but were always charged anywhere from $10 to $60 per line for usage in Mexico.  I got tired of AT&T's excuses and dropped them for T-Mobile last year.  Really happy with the decision -- we save about $75/month + we haven't had a penny in overages since.