Flight Ease - have to book both ways at same time?

Bob7

We booked flight ease to our cruise, saw the options for a flight home after the cruise, but didn't book it.  When we went back later to look at the return options again, we were blocked from seeing the options.  Called HAL who said cruisers have to book both ways at the same time.  Only way to do it after booking one way, is to cancel the flight to the cruise and start over (flights are paid for to avoid an increase).  Cancellation fee to do that is about $3000 (business class), so no way.

Have you seen this happen before? ... is there no way around it?  Hard to believe HAL would have a system that restricts their revenue.

I’ve bought one way fares to Florida the last few years (before & after COVID) because I stay longer in Florida after the cruise.  Have never tried to add a return after I’ve reserved the outbound flight.

The same thing happened to us and we were told the same thing. We were sure of our return from Athens and the business class fare was great so we booked it. When we finally decided on our plans going over we weren’t able to see any flights. The Flight Ease rep said that we would have to cancel and rebook. He advised to just book our flights to Rome independently which we did.  

I am afraid I don’t understand why anyone would not book a return straight away, two singles are way more expensive than one return even if there are different airports used. The only time I can imagine doing this is when one has a Transatlantic or only flies one way. If you are unsure of your travel plans you can also look at the refundable options.

Whatever you book my advice is to book as early as possible, we booked our Asia flights in January albeit independently but the prices have now doubled!