Best Way to book, status match- can I ask that here?

basketballdad

So wife and I are going to book soon a short cruise on the  Scarlet Lady for July or August.

Should we just use VV website?  I heard VV status matches- do I book and then email or call VV?  Or is that better to do by calling and then booking after status match is worked out?  

In the past sometimes I have seen travel agents or aggregators offer credits or gifts for using them instead of directly with the line.  Does that work well with VV?

Thanks in Advance.

As above, you apply for the status match on line after you have a booking number.   You insert the booking number on the application, and within a few days, Deep Blue Extras show up on your booking (look at your on line account to see this.). THe VV rates are the same whether you use a travel agent (first mate in VV talk) or book on line or by calling VV.  If you book on line, you are assigned a cabin.  If you call or use a TA, you can choose from any open cabin, specify a floor, etc.  This allows you to avoid a cabin right under the gym or above a nightclub.  There are advantages to using a travel agent, particularly one who has a lot of experience on VV.  For instance, if the agent has sponsored an on line session with VV within a certain period, everyone who makes a booking during that time frame gets additions "loot." (onboard credit.). Similarly anyone who cruises can buy future cruise certificates (MNVV) which are transferable,  Some agents buy the max allowed each time they cruise and the sell then to their clients, meaning that the client gets the discount and the loot associated.  If an agent has 10 or more cabins sold on a given sailing, that constitutes a "circle," and VV gives each member of a circle some "loot."  Finally, as with all lines, some agents choose to give a discount or OBC from their commission, as on all other lines.  

Bottom line, it isn't a matter of just using an agent; it is using an agent who books a lot of VV and knows how to get you the best deal possible.  We are not allowed to recommend particular agents on this site.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lisabucsfan1 said:

I can't speak to what a TA does with VV as I've always booked directly.

After you book your cruise and you have a booking # then you can submit your status here and they will give you the loyalty match.

How long does it take to get loyalty match after submitting form?  Notified on App or email?

20 minutes ago, tbmrt said:

How long does it take to get loyalty match after submitting form?  Notified on App or email?

There are other posts about status match and deep blue extras - look for that or "DBE" in your search. From the comments I've read I don't think you get "notified" of anything from VV it just shows up in your app. Not sure how long it takes for that to happen though... Others may know. I have my status via VV cruising. Sorry!

1 hour ago, lisabucsfan1 said:

There are other posts about status match and deep blue extras - look for that or "DBE" in your search. From the comments I've read I don't think you get "notified" of anything from VV it just shows up in your app. Not sure how long it takes for that to happen though... Others may know. I have my status via VV cruising. Sorry!

mine took 4 days and i received a email that was headed "good news" followed by the confirmation and list of the DBE perks 

• Like 2

The web site says to allow a week to process status match.  My daughter's took 4 days, mine took 10 days. It is a form letter sent by email.  It will also show up under My Account for that cruise...look under "add ons" for Deep Blue Extras.

3 minutes ago, lahrbrat said:

Hello! First time VV cruiser. Do both my husband and I need to apply for the status match or is one per stateroom all we need? 

you only need 1 per cabin (you only get 1 set of perks per cabin)

Given that there is no real financial incentive to using a TA versus booking directly, one hack I am now using, is using a larger online TA that has a live API dip into VV's inventory so you can see what space is available in your particular cabin class.   That way when you book online directly w/ VV, you can amend your 'best available' (in VV parlance) booking to the space you may want.    Scott.  

You can always book on line and then call VV to move to the cabin number that you want.  I don't know of an easy way to change/request a specific cabin on line.  

I am puzzled by the comment that there are no real financial incentives to using a TA as I listed several in my earlier post.  One of the biggest is that your TA may have MNVV certificates available in the event that you didn't buy one or this is your first cruise.  They ARE transferrable.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tbmrt said:

I got my match in 2 days and received an email welcoming me as a Sea Rover. This was 2 weeks ago. DBE badge showed up online a couple of days later. 

4 hours ago, lahrbrat said:

Hello! First time VV cruiser. Do both my husband and I need to apply for the status match or is one per stateroom all we need? 

Only perk that is not per cabin seems to be cocktail party, not sure if non frequent sailors can attend if traveling with a Sea Rover. Haven't heard much about the cocktail party. 

2 hours ago, cantgetin said:

You can always book on line and then call VV to move to the cabin number that you want.  I don't know of an easy way to change/request a specific cabin on line.  

I am puzzled by the comment that there are no real financial incentives to using a TA as I listed several in my earlier post.  One of the biggest is that your TA may have MNVV certificates available in the event that you didn't buy one or this is your first cruise.  They ARE transferrable.

Agreed, Firstmates with MNVVs get $300 off + $600 sailor loot. Also Virtuoso Firstmates clients get $100 OBC + Anytime Boarding.

In addition to what you mentioned, Firstmates can also book your dining, shore things, etc if you want to avoid that glitchy app.

Yup, I shot mine my dining list and she did all of it when the app failed miserably. There are lots of reasons to use a good First Mate--some financial, some service oriented,  Mine also has an app where I send her my flight confirmations, hotel, etc.  THe app puts together an itinerary for each day of the trip with all the pesky details and phone numbers.  It also notifies me of any flight delays, etc.  Really nice to have it all in one place.  There has to be some way to tell it to NOT notify of flight changes less than X minutes though....will try to figure that out for next cruise.

2 hours ago, Sea Viewer said:

Only perk that is not per cabin seems to be cocktail party, not sure if non frequent sailors can attend if traveling with a Sea Rover. Haven't heard much about the cocktail party. 

i believe they can, but it's really nothing to write home about - sparkling wine or sangria for an hour with live music.  i preferred valiant's over scarlet's (outside on the perch with an acoustic guitarist/singer vs. jammed into the back of on the rocks with a really loud band, and better sangria for my tastebuds vs. what was on scarlet)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

True, all persons in the cabin get priority boarding and are invited to the cocktail party.  As above, the "Party" is not a big deal.  The location seems to vary depending on how many are qualified to attend.  THe sangria was totally watered down,

• Like 1

Dumb question - but I'm not a person who uses a TA... When referring to your "first mate" is this the TA?

Plus, I had no idea that TAs could buy ahead MNVV (yes I knew they were transferrable) as that seems like a risk of putting up $$ that could sit there for 24 months before someone decides to use it. But very good to know!!

39 minutes ago, lisabucsfan1 said:

Dumb question - but I'm not a person who uses a TA... When referring to your "first mate" is this the TA?

Plus, I had no idea that TAs could buy ahead MNVV (yes I knew they were transferrable) as that seems like a risk of putting up $$ that could sit there for 24 months before someone decides to use it. But very good to know!!

Yeah Virgin has their own terms for everything. Firstmate = TA. And yeah with the MNVVs, I buy 10 each time I go. At first I thought it was a risk but I never have enough of them, the demand is so high!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lisabucsfan1 said:

TAs (first mates) can do MNVVs in a couple of ways.  First, they can advertise ahead to their clients thru emails or social media letting them know that the TA will be cruising and collecting payment into in advance.  That way, they can just purchase the MNVV or book the cruise in the client's name--not needing to do a "transfer."  Alternatively, they can buy up to a certain limit during their cruise and sell them to clients after the fact.  The current deal is very good, and busy first mates, those who sell a lot of VV, never seem to have enough.  It might be a problem if you aren't selling much VV, but I typically get an email several times a year letting me know that my first mate will be cruising "just in case" I'm interested.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2023 at 7:26 PM, cantgetin said:

I am puzzled by the comment that there are no real financial incentives to using a TA as I listed several in my earlier post.  

I was more referring to any base faring advantage outside of a Circle (which is simply VV's nomenclature for tour / conductor rating)  -- VV has yet to get into incentivized group rating through TA sales consortia like Virtuoso or Ensemble.      Scott.    

• 2 weeks later...