Looking for advice on excursions on Panama Canal Cruise

We are booked on the Encore next October 29th for the Panama Canal Repositioning cruise. Has anyone has experience

with the excursions at the Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala port? We were considering the Colonial Antiqua or the Casa Santo Domingo tour

through NCL. We would really appreciate it if you could share you thoughts on these or any other ports. We have only been on one cruise so

we are kind of newbies. Thank you!!

11 hours ago, MountainToTheSea said:

We are booked on the Encore next October 29th for the Panama Canal Repositioning cruise. Has anyone has experience

with the excursions at the Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala port? We were considering the Colonial Antiqua or the Casa Santo Domingo tour

through NCL. We would really appreciate it if you could share you thoughts on these or any other ports. We have only been on one cruise so

we are kind of newbies. Thank you!!

I did the Colonial Antigua tour a few years back.  It was ok.  There was a long drive ( pretty scenery) to get to the town.  The " Original Antigua" was destroyed in an Earthquake.  The "Newer/old town" was rebuilt, farther away from the Volcanic mountain.  The only thing I remember that stood out, was climbing to the top of the Church ( gettin on the roof) for a great overlook of the tropical forests and the Volcano in the distance.  Take sunscreen and spray on bug repellant.  You will enjoy Cartagena Columbia ( if it comes back on the list) much better if you want to get the feel for Colonial Architecture in Latin America

16 hours ago, MountainToTheSea said:

Has anyone has experience

through NCL.

We have been to Puerto Quetzal twice, both with NCL.  Each time, we took the "Antigua on your own" tour through NCL.  This is round trip transportation to/from Antigua.  A guide on the bus will give you information along the way and you'll be given a street map.  The central/tourist area is very compact and you will not get lost.  You'll have time to walk around and explore, and time for lunch.  Antigua is very interesting, and I highly recommend going there.  The drive is also a scenic one.  (If you don't feel comfortable being on your own in Antigua, then pick one of the guided NCL tours.) 

If you do some research/reading over in the Guatemala port of call forum (link below), you will see that taking any form of non-cruise-line transportation/shorex to Antigua is not recommended because of the distance and because there can be traffic backups.    

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/356-guatemala/

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited to add:

I posted a detailed review (with photos) of our 2017 Panama Canal cruise at the link below.  My comments on Antigua begin at post number 50.  There may be other ports that are also on your itinerary.

Edited by Turtles06

5 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

The "Newer/old town" was rebuilt, farther away from the Volcanic mountain.  The only thing I remember that stood out, was climbing to the top of the Church ( getting on the roof) for a great overlook of the tropical forests and the Volcano in the distance.

A totally respectful question -- I've been to Antigua twice and am not aware of any church there where you can do that (I could have missed it) --  any chance you may have confused your recollection with visiting the Cathedral in León, Nicaragua (from Corinto)  -- very well known for climbing to the white roof and seeing the volcanoes in the distance? 

18 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

A totally respectful question -- I've been to Antigua twice and am not aware of any church there where you can do that (I could have missed it) --  any chance you may have confused your recollection with visiting the Cathedral in León, Nicaragua (from Corinto)  -- very well known for climbing to the white roof and seeing the volcanoes in the distance? 

I think that is a very likely possibility.  It was a white roof.  Thanks for the memory jog.

We too took the Antigua on Your Own excursion and found it okay as described.  It is pretty much the only game in town and it is too dodgy not to take a ship sponsored excursion since it is so far from the port and over a road that frequently has problems.  One thing I would have appreciated knowing is that the pavement throughout the town is made up of very rough large rectangular stones that are way beyond cobblestones.  I wore flat heeled sandals but sneakers would have been much more comfortable had I known.  (This is the sort of detail one can only dream cruise lines may clue you on but never do.)  The port shopping area just off the ship was much nicer and more extensive than we had been led to believe.  I am not much of a shopper but I wished we had more time for it before boarding the ship. 

We did Antigua on Your Own and loved the whole day.  If you can, sit up front in the bus so you can see the volcanoes.  The day we were there the volcanoes were particularly gassy and active!  Be prepared for a long bus ride.  

We loved our time in Antigua and I wish I had bought more items there.  The street vendors are pretty pushy and will follow you even after you say no.  They also say “it’s only $5” them tell you the item is $25 (for example.)

IMG_6985.thumb.jpeg.e8432660c51f427466e03e98ffacf79e.jpegIMG_6986.thumb.jpeg.556dac08fbdf714b6d9ef3122d28b3d9.jpegIMG_6988.thumb.jpeg.c63113c8f7e90c5f0e203c6ca77f2c5e.jpegIMG_6987.thumb.jpeg.d6098068341383de5f94ed035fc3900d.jpeg

For Puerto Quetzal, I chose the "Safari Adventure".  It's an approximate 40 minute drive from the pier and it's a drive-thru style mini zoo.  I enjoyed it.   I didn't pay it much attention at the time, but there were grumblings from fellow cruisers that chose the "Antigua - on your own" most having to do with the length of the bus ride, I wish I could remember more, but maybe someone else with recent experience will chime in on that one.   

18 minutes ago, smillerholmes said:

For Puerto Quetzal, I chose the "Safari Adventure".  It's an approximate 40 minute drive from the pier and it's a drive-thru style mini zoo.  I enjoyed it.   I didn't pay it much attention at the time, but there were grumblings from fellow cruisers that chose the "Antigua - on your own" most having to do with the length of the bus ride, I wish I could remember more, but maybe someone else with recent experience will chime in on that one.   

Always amazes me that folks don't simply consult a map so they would understand the distance from the port to the place of their excursion destination.  It's not exactly a secret where things are.

• Like 1

If you are going to Cartagena bathrooms can be an issue. The bus had one but it was locked and across from the fort the bodega was kind enough to let me use theirs but it cost $1.00 and had no toilet seat or paper LOL. The gold museum had one but the doors were off the hinges so we women took turns holding the door in front of the opening so people could have some privacy. That said the people were lovely and we enjoyed our time there.