Just back from Around the World in 80 days aboard Borealis

We have had a fabulous cruise sailing around the world on Borealis.  A world cruise was going to be a once in a lifetime experience but we have now booked for 2025 on Bolette.  RTW but with a very different itinerary

If you would like to see photos and read about our experience here is a link to my blog.https://susancammish.wordpress.com/

• Like 7

Started reading your blog, but need to come back when I have more time to read more.  Some good pics.  Thanks a lot for sharing it.

Can I just mention one thing though, I could not click through to the link above, I think probably because there is not a space before the previous word "blog." so you may want to re post the link. 

11 hours ago, tring said:

Started reading your blog, but need to come back when I have more time to read more.  Some good pics.  Thanks a lot for sharing it.

Can I just mention one thing though, I could not click through to the link above, I think probably because there is not a space before the previous word "blog." so you may want to re post the link. 

Not sure why you can't click on the ink.  I have just tried it and no problem.

4 hours ago, yorkshire traveller said:

Not sure why you can't click on the ink.  I have just tried it and no problem.

No not working at all for me, but I was able to access your blog by cutting and pasting.  Never mind I am sure others can do the same if the link does not work for them. 

Thanks again for sharing the blog though 🙂

Barbara 

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We got through first time. Really interesting blog, good photos and exceptionally well written and presented.

Pleased you enjoyed reading it.  I did notice a few errors when I got home.  It wasn't easy using my phone and having limited internet access.   If I write one for our 2025 cruise i will take my tablet.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2023 at 3:25 PM, yorkshire traveller said:

We have had a fabulous cruise sailing around the world on Borealis.  A world cruise was going to be a once in a lifetime experience but we have now booked for 2025 on Bolette.  RTW but with a very different itinerary

If you would like to see photos and read about our experience here is a link to my blog.https://susancammish.wordpress.com/

Reading it now ! Thanks very much.

Good pictures and very well written - fascinating. 

Edited by paulatsea

• 2 weeks later...

thanks so much Susan for the blog.  the main thing I learned is that I definitely would not want a terrace cabin on Borealis, I just hadn't realised until I saw your photos that the whole of deck 3 is covered.  If family matters settle down soon we are hopeful of an RTW or at least half a one this coming year.  We ve done half a one coming back from NZ to the UK, and I really want to transit the Panama as well so here's hoping. 

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly we have just booked on the RTW cruise on Bollette, January 25, so hopefully will meet up with you at some point on that cruise. However, since booking we have struggled to find insurance that will cover the length, 106 days and the high cancellation cost are you willing to share any insurance company information with us where you have successfully booked cover. Thanks in anticipation.

2 hours ago, Rashers said:

Interestingly we have just booked on the RTW cruise on Bollette, January 25, so hopefully will meet up with you at some point on that cruise. However, since booking we have struggled to find insurance that will cover the length, 106 days and the high cancellation cost are you willing to share any insurance company information with us where you have successfully booked cover. Thanks in anticipation.

We have annual insurance with our Nationwide Flex Plus account.  We pay a monthly fee, think it is about £12 a month.  This includes cover for up to 45 days.  We were able to add on for the extra time, also for age as my husband is over 70, we both have some medical conditions which we also add to the policy.  We also added additional cruise cover.  It wasn't necessary but it wasn't much extra to include missed ports and cabin confinement.  Amazingly we didn't miss any ports but if we had we would have been paid £100 each for each one missed.  The payment for cabin confinement would have been £150 per day.  Thankfully we didn't need that.

All the extra cost about £450 for both of us which is excellent value considering we were quoted £7,000 from some companies.

We did have to change bank our bank from Lloyds but it was a very smooth process  

• Like 1

BoS platinum account includes world wide travel insurance, AA cover and something else I can’t remember but we got it for the travel.  £21 per month.  It covers cruises but not missed ports and it goes up to age 80.  I had to get an “add on” for a health issue, around another £100 per annum so total around £350 for a year which is less than half what I was quoted elsewhere.  I haven’t tried to extend the time limit but I imagine they would do it on a one-off basis.  

1 hour ago, teenieleek said:

BoS platinum account includes world wide travel insurance, AA cover and something else I can’t remember but we got it for the travel.  £21 per month.  It covers cruises but not missed ports and it goes up to age 80.  I had to get an “add on” for a health issue, around another £100 per annum so total around £350 for a year which is less than half what I was quoted elsewhere.  I haven’t tried to extend the time limit but I imagine they would do it on a one-off basis. 

Ah, ok, thanks. Haven’t tried that yet so maybe I gave a duff suggestion but probably still worth investigating.  I liked that they go to age 80 because we’re both in our seventies. I’m hoping however that I’ll know when it’s time to hang up our travelling clogs because I’ve seen folk on ships who look so frail I wonder what pleasure it can still be for them….and how on earth they get insurance!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, teenieleek said:

Ah, ok, thanks. Haven’t tried that yet so maybe I gave a duff suggestion but probably still worth investigating.  I liked that they go to age 80 because we’re both in our seventies. I’m hoping however that I’ll know when it’s time to hang up our travelling clogs because I’ve seen folk on ships who look so frail I wonder what pleasure it can still be for them….and how on earth they get insurance!

There is no limit with Nationwide.  I hope we are still able to cruise when we reach that age.  We are making the most of it it whilst we are still  able to but you never what the future holds   I expect those frail people enjoy being in the ship rather than being stuck at home.  On our world cruise one lady only got off the ship in one port but she enjoyed the cruise experience on board.

Sorry, misunderstood. I thought you meant you’d paid extra for over 70.  I might consider switching later.  I get that someone would just enjoy being on a ship and having the company but it wouldn’t be enough for me, it’s the new places that draw me but definitely we’re doing it while still able,  Spitsbergen in July then 24 nights to Canada (with Princess) in September so a busy summer.

2 hours ago, teenieleek said:

Sorry, misunderstood. I thought you meant you’d paid extra for over 70.  I might consider switching later.  I get that someone would just enjoy being on a ship and having the company but it wouldn’t be enough for me, it’s the new places that draw me but definitely we’re doing it while still able,  Spitsbergen in July then 24 nights to Canada (with Princess) in September so a busy summer.

Yes we did pay extra for over 70 but there is no age limit  

Yorkshire Traveler, following on from our earlier discussion I have now opened a Nationwide Flexi Account and taken advantage of their worldwide insurance for my WTW trip. Thank you very much for your suggested help with this it came in very useful. Hopefully we will get to meet up on the Bolette …..

Regards

Simon

2 hours ago, Rashers said:

Yorkshire Traveler, following on from our earlier discussion I have now opened a Nationwide Flexi Account and taken advantage of their worldwide insurance for my WTW trip. Thank you very much for your suggested help with this it came in very useful. Hopefully we will get to meet up on the Bolette …..

Regards

Simon

See  you on board!