Question regarding redeeming points for shore excursions

cb2367

I wanted to redeem accumulated points and use them as on board credit for shore excursions. With an Alaska cruise coming up in the second week of September, is there any risk of excursions being sold out? I guess I didn't understand that the whole points system is setup for on board only use 

It would appear that I can possibly redeem points to apply as a statement credit if I book excursions using the NCL card, but then that redemption method will redeem all the points. 

I had hoped to be able to use say $100 credit for shore excursions and then if anything was left over, use it as credit for dining or some other ship purchase.

2 hours ago, cb2367 said:

I wanted to redeem accumulated points and use them as on board credit for shore excursions. With an Alaska cruise coming up in the second week of September, is there any risk of excursions being sold out? I guess I didn't understand that the whole points system is setup for on board only use 

Your credit card can be used to prepurchase (online at NCL.com or via a telephone call to the Shore Excursion Dept.

It would appear that I can possibly redeem points to apply as a statement credit if I book excursions using the NCL card, but then that redemption method will redeem all the points. 

You might not wipe-out all of you points.  But, you would need to strategically plan your "spending" vs your redemptions!

I had hoped to be able to use say $100 credit for shore excursions and then if anything was left over, use it as credit for dining or some other ship purchase. You would need to strategically plan your "spending" vs your redemptions.  Statement credits on the card are sometimes a better value, IF you do not have enough accumulated points overall.

I am assuming you are referring to the NCL credit card.  There is a very long discussion pinned to the top of this forum.  But to answer your question.  The points on the card are through BofA, not NCL.  Just like points on any other credit card.  You can't apply points to your onboard account.  You can buy OBC that you can spend onboard, but that means that you take what's left when you get onboard,with respect to excursions - and they most definitely can sell out months ahead of time.

Your best value is to use the NCL card for purchasing your excursions in advance and any onboard expenses.  You will then get points for those expenses as well.  Then take the statememt credit.

• Like 1

According to NCL.com/world-points, points can be redeemed for things such as upgrades, on board credit, etc. I called the world points phone number and asked about obtaining on board credit to use for excursions. They said that could be done but I'd have to get my excursions once on board. I had hoped there was a way I could use the accumulated points, but it seems like the only thing I can use them for is for a monthly statement credit.

There's a whole list of what the points can be redeemed for, but it seems like the whole list is setup to be used for redemption upon boarding. I guess I'll have to just purchase the excursions using the NCL card and just accumulate more points.

21 minutes ago, cb2367 said:

According to NCL.com/world-points, points can be redeemed for things such as upgrades, on board credit, etc. I called the world points phone number and asked about obtaining on board credit to use for excursions. They said that could be done but I'd have to get my excursions once on board. I had hoped there was a way I could use the accumulated points, but it seems like the only thing I can use them for is for a monthly statement credit.

There's a whole list of what the points can be redeemed for, but it seems like the whole list is setup to be used for redemption upon boarding. I guess I'll have to just purchase the excursions using the NCL card and just accumulate more points.

You are correct, mostly.  Upgrades (the best bang for your buck in my opinion) are done in advance.

On-board credit means just that.  On Board.

I guess I'm not understanding the issue with statement credit.  It's actually better than if you bought OBC because you get more credits if you pay for your excursions with the CC.  Book/pay for excursions now, use your statement credit and the excursions are fully paid when you get onboard.

And, just FYI, if you pay in advance and then cancel an excursion onboard, you get cash back. It does not go back to your credit card, no points lost.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 2

So when I go to the NCL rewards points website, it provides a number to call to redeem the points. I called the number and the first thing the recording says is "did you know that you can redeem your points online through Bank of America?"

I logged into the Bank of America app and the only two options are to redeem points are either a statement credit or a check corresponding to the point value 

My intent was to redeem points for on board credit and then use that credit due shore excursions instead of buying them now and paying with whatever card.

Since I would have to wait until the last minute, that may not be the best option. For cabin upgrades, well, maybe that could be done ahead of time but then I'd probably end up paying more for a different cabin than the one I have now. 

Putting that and shore excursions aside, I don't know how else I can use my points other than applying then towards the monthly bill.

On your BofA account page, click the rewards tab. Then click the NCL picture.  Your choices there are for upgrades, cruise credits, OBC or free cruises.  Drop-down list will give you your options.

Statement credit would be a BofA option, so not listed here.

image.thumb.png.86e91ab7a22242535f5c738318d1c927.png

3 hours ago, cb2367 said:

So when I go to the NCL rewards points website, it provides a number to call to redeem the points. I called the number and the first thing the recording says is "did you know that you can redeem your points online through Bank of America?"

I logged into the Bank of America app and the only two options are to redeem points are either a statement credit or a check corresponding to the point value 

My intent was to redeem points for on board credit and then use that credit due shore excursions instead of buying them now and paying with whatever card.

Since I would have to wait until the last minute, that may not be the best option. For cabin upgrades, well, maybe that could be done ahead of time but then I'd probably end up paying more for a different cabin than the one I have now. 

Putting that and shore excursions aside, I don't know how else I can use my points other than applying then towards the monthly bill.

You do not spend more money using points to upgrade.  You will be upgraded (one level for 30k, two levels for 60k). The exact category you will be upgraded to depends on where you are now.

Juligg is correct in everythng she’s said.  Look at it this way, if you’re still confused.

say you want to book $500 in excursions.   If you use points for $500 in OBC you get just that, but ZERO additional points.  If you book now and pay for the excursions with you ur CC that $500 expenditure will get you 1,500 points, as opposed to zero points.   Then yu apply for statement credit of $500 and you have accomplished the same thing (getting your excursions paid for) with the bonus f (1) 1,500 points, (2) getting the excursions yu want and (3) not having to mess with the share excursion desk when you should be at the bar ordering a sail away drink. 

oh, and for what it’s worth, just call the WP desk.  You can do it online, but honestly,  I want to talk to a real human being when I’m spending points.  A few people have posted some screw ups they have encountered using the online method.  But that’s just me. I’m old school and I want to have a human, with a name, to make my transactions.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom

@MagnoliaBlossom I understand what you're saying about the points process.

For the upgrade though, the reason I say I'd be spending more is due to the single supplement that would most likely be applied to any cabin other than studio. I do recall other solos from my last cruise that had cabins other than solo but I think they may have also booked closer to sail date.

17 minutes ago, cb2367 said:

For the upgrade though, the reason I say I'd be spending more is due to the single supplement that would most likely be applied to any cabin other than studio. I do recall other solos from my last cruise that had cabins other than solo but I think they may have also booked closer to sail date.

LOL.  I have a cruise to Alaska later this summer.  No studio on that cruise, but no single supplement either on inside or OV. My cost $549.  Balcony is more than $3k more at the moment - so if I were to choose to use points to upgrade, that $300 in statement credit is actually worth more than $3K.  Still debating on that one...

Now, I also have a cruise next week with last-minute pricing. So a balcony is currently about $100 more than what I originally paid - but I was also able to get FCC for a price drop, so overall I'm still ahead by using points.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cb2367 said:

I missed the fact that you were solo.