New to cruising - safe to go it alone?

az93

Out of all the cruise lines I've looked into, the Fred Olsen itineraries look the most appealing to me. New to cruising and I've loved reading everyone's experiences on here good and bad (especially the lady who made a blog about her "round the world in 80 days" cruise, looks like you guys had an amazing time!)

The main reasons cruising appeals to me are probably the same for all of you, but additional ones for me are that I do quite like the idea of going on my own so I can just do my own thing and not worry about keeping a travel companion happy (none of my friends would be interested in visiting the places Fred goes) and that it does "seem" safer as a 30yo female travelling alone to go along with such a large group. Am I being naive, things I haven't thought of?

TIA!

On our cruise there was usually a meet up listed in the daily programme for single people wanting to go ashore independently, not on an excursion, but with a few other passengers.  The was quite a lot of single passengers on the cruise.  In the buffet there was an area specially for those who wanted to eat with others.  Also lots of dance hosts if you like dancing.

• Thanks 1

Welcome to cruise critic @az93

Fred Olsen cruise ships feel very safe onboard. I have never seen anyone who was drunk, abusive or disruptive onboard. 

Cruisers (and crew) are a friendly bunch so you won’t lack for conversation if you want it. As Yorkshire traveller says Fred run a programme for single travellers, meet ups, afternoon tea etc if you wanted to engage with that.

Off the ship in terms of general safety that very much depends on the ports you are going. Most cruise ports are great just to go off and wander about. Others require a bit more thought and perhaps going as part of a group for a single female for example if you were going to Morroco or parts of Turkey.

General precautions are required the same as for land based holidays as pickpockets abound in some areas eg Barcelona is a hot spot (but no worse than big U.K. cities).

Fred do good organised tour, they can however be pricy. 

You mention you are age 30. Most Fred passengers are generally a good bit older than you, age 50 plus. I only mention this so you are aware that there may not be too many people of your age, again it depends on the itinerary and the time of the year. People of all ages seem to gel on cruise ships and enjoy each others company regardless of age so mentioning this is not meant to put you off, simply to give you the facts.

If you have any questions just ask, the folks on here are a friendly lot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, az93 said:

Am I being naive, things I haven't thought of?

Don't think that you could have had a better response.

Safety ashore for independents varies from place to place but as there are very few places that FOCLs visit that aren't also visited by other lines.

Where were you hoping to visit?

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2023 at 7:19 AM, yorkshire traveller said:

On our cruise there was usually a meet up listed in the daily programme for single people wanting to go ashore independently, not on an excursion, but with a few other passengers.  The was quite a lot of single passengers on the cruise.  In the buffet there was an area specially for those who wanted to eat with others.  Also lots of dance hosts if you like dancing.

Cheers, good to know it's not totally unusual and I'd not likely be the only one by myself. Also nice to know that sometimes other passengers are happy to go and look at things in groups on shore independent of an FO-organised excursion, I can imagine those get really pricey!

On 5/19/2023 at 8:19 AM, Eglesbrech said:

Welcome to cruise critic @az93

Fred Olsen cruise ships feel very safe onboard. I have never seen anyone who was drunk, abusive or disruptive onboard. 

Cruisers (and crew) are a friendly bunch so you won’t lack for conversation if you want it. As Yorkshire traveller says Fred run a programme for single travellers, meet ups, afternoon tea etc if you wanted to engage with that.

Off the ship in terms of general safety that very much depends on the ports you are going. Most cruise ports are great just to go off and wander about. Others require a bit more thought and perhaps going as part of a group for a single female for example if you were going to Morroco or parts of Turkey.

General precautions are required the same as for land based holidays as pickpockets abound in some areas eg Barcelona is a hot spot (but no worse than big U.K. cities).

Fred do good organised tour, they can however be pricy. 

You mention you are age 30. Most Fred passengers are generally a good bit older than you, age 50 plus. I only mention this so you are aware that there may not be too many people of your age, again it depends on the itinerary and the time of the year. People of all ages seem to gel on cruise ships and enjoy each others company regardless of age so mentioning this is not meant to put you off, simply to give you the facts.

If you have any questions just ask, the folks on here are a friendly lot.

Great! I don't mind the possibility of there being not as many people my own age. I've been on a few trips away with people my own age recently and it can get drunk and disruptive pretty quickly and I can't be bothered with that anymore 🤣 nobody wanting to do any sight seeing because of their tremendous hangovers! I've come back almost regretting going away at all and then felt myself wishing I could just go away on my own, did some digging and now I'm here!

On 5/19/2023 at 8:41 AM, twotravellersLondon said:

Don't think that you could have had a better response.

Safety ashore for independents varies from place to place but as there are very few places that FOCLs visit that aren't also visited by other lines.

Where were you hoping to visit?

Unlikely I'll be going anywhere this year due to family commitments, but I've got my eye on a trip to the Faroe Islands and Iceland (L2422) and the Scandinavian Capitals (S2407A) in 2024. It's a shame as there's an itinerary that would have been perfect for me (L2320) and my interests but it leaves too soon for me to be able to go. Hopefully FOCL will organize something similar another time 🙂

Thanks for your replies everyone, you've made me feel loads more confident about making some plans!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 2:43 AM, az93 said:

Out of all the cruise lines I've looked into, the Fred Olsen itineraries look the most appealing to me. New to cruising and I've loved reading everyone's experiences on here good and bad (especially the lady who made a blog about her "round the world in 80 days" cruise, looks like you guys had an amazing time!)

The main reasons cruising appeals to me are probably the same for all of you, but additional ones for me are that I do quite like the idea of going on my own so I can just do my own thing and not worry about keeping a travel companion happy (none of my friends would be interested in visiting the places Fred goes) and that it does "seem" safer as a 30yo female travelling alone to go along with such a large group. Am I being naive, things I haven't thought of?

TIA!

With regard to the title of your post, cruising is definitely one of the safest ways to travel as a solo. Most of the British lines try to do something for solo travellers. I haven't sailed solo on Fred but have used other lines.

P&O probably do the least but they will seat solos together on fixed dining and suggest that those on Freedom dining meet in a specific bar at a specific time to go into dinner together. They also advertise solo coffee meets on days at sea.

Ambassador Cruises have  more solo cabins than most. They arrange a number of events for solos too. They have some interesting itineraries including some from Dundee.

Marella have in the past had Solo Traveller Hosts to organise events on board but they only offer fly-cruises.

Cruising is great for solos and I have enjoyed all mine since my partner died in 2012. Go for it.

Edited by Britboys