Dress code: Alaska vs. Canada/NE. Is there a difference?

TomTN

I looked at the Muse dress code on the SS website, and didn't see a difference. 

When I read here it appesrs that things are changing and/or the dress code isn't always enforced?

Sorry to ask about a sore subject.  We are considering our first Silversea cruise.

5 hours ago, TomBeckCruise said:

I looked at the Muse dress code on the SS website, and didn't see a difference. 

When I read here it appesrs that things are changing and/or the dress code isn't always enforced?

Sorry to ask about a sore subject.  We are considering our first Silversea cruise.

I have sailed both itineraries. Alaska has the "formal optional" nights. The New England itinerary has the regular formal nights( if that is what you are referring to).

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I have sailed both itineraries. Alaska has the "formal optional" nights. The New England itinerary has the regular formal nights( if that is what you are referring to).

Thank you, that is what I was referring to.

We most likely will be booking the August 14 Silver Shadow cruise round trip from Quebec City that spends several days visiting Newfoundland.  It avoids the long flights to/from Alaska from TN, and there are several ports we have not visited before.

20 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

If I recall, certain venues (Alaska and the Med) are formal optional.  I don't believe Canada/ NE would be optional.

Hi, Alaska for sure has formal optional nights. As for the Med? Never seen a formal optional on them and I have multiple cruises to that area.  They always have formal nights. (well, on all the cruises I have taken).

23 hours ago, TomBeckCruise said:

We most likely will be booking the August 14 Silver Shadow cruise round trip from Quebec City that spends several days visiting Newfoundland.

The traditional dress code remains intact on the Classic ships, which Silver Shadow is a part of.  Formal optional is only available on 7-day sailings in the Baltic, Mediterranean, and Alaska, whereby guests may choose to dress informally on the single formal night, meaning a jacket is required for gentlemen.

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, Alaska for sure has formal optional nights. As for the Med? Never seen a formal optional on them and I have multiple cruises to that area.  They always have formal nights. (well, on all the cruises I have taken).

Alaska also retains formal nights on board the Classic ships, it's just that the formal night is optional on sailings of 7-days.  See my post above.

34 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I looked it up on their website:

"Please note: On 7 day sailings in the Baltic, Mediterranean and Alaska, formal night is always optional; guests may choose to dress informal, a jacket is required for gentlemen."

Maybe you were on a longer than 7 night cruise?  Or probably, most people just go ahead and dress up anyways.

• Like 1

Will be embarking on May 28 from Port Everglades to Dublin. There are 3 formal nights out of 2 weeks. The vessel is the Shadow. The itinerary is not very port intensive, Newfoundland is on the itinerary. 

While my husband really doesn’t like to dress “up”, we respect that many pax on Silversea do like to and we will adhere to the code or eat in our suite or at the Grill. 

That also means that one is precluded from the public venues, the show lounge/bar/ etc., post dining at the Grill unless properly attired as per the dress code.

• Thanks 1

So, we booked Silver Shadow for 11 nights down the Saint Lawrence Seaway to Newfoundland.  

Do I need a dark suite and a blue blazer? 

Hopefully a restful cruise for us. Just what we need.

28 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

So, we booked Silver Shadow for 11 nights down the Saint Lawrence Seaway to Newfoundland.  

Do I need a dark suite and a blue blazer? 

Hopefully a restful cruise for us. Just what we need.

It all depends on where and when you want to dine.

Some men bring no jackets because they don’t want to dress formally and are comfortable dining in their suite or on the pool deck on formal nights. Others bring a dark suit and tie because they would like to dine in The Restaurant or La Dame on a formal night.  And, others bring just a blazer because they are comfortable dining informally on formal night in La Terrazza. The same might even pair said blazer with a tie and dark pair of slacks and have absolutely no trouble dining in The Restaurant or La Dame on formal night.

So, as you can see, you have lots and lots of options.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

It all depends on where and when you want to dine.

Some men bring no jackets because they don’t want to dress formally and are comfortable dining in their suite or on the pool deck on formal nights. Others bring a dark suit and tie because they would like to dine in The Restaurant or La Dame on a formal night.  And, others bring just a blazer because they are comfortable dining informally on formal night in La Terrazza. The same might even pair said blazer with a tie and dark pair of slacks and have absolutely no trouble dining in The Restaurant or La Dame on formal night.

So, as you can see, you have lots and lots of options.

Tough day!  suite/suit!!!!!!!!! Sorry, 

I suspect DW will want to dress formal. So----

You are perfectly dressed in a blue blazer, tie, and dark trousers for all of the restaurants. Some men will be in suits, a very few in tuxedos. But you will be perfectly comfortable in blazer & tie. My husband does not take a suit on short cruises like this, just a blazer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Tough day!  suite/suit!!!!!!!!! Sorry, 

I suspect DW will want to dress formal. So----

You'll want a dark suite, otherwise you'll be awake at dawn. LOL

If DW wants to dress formally, then go all out and make her look elegant by being formally dressed as well.  Remember, your tuxedo is designed to make you look sharp, but to focus the attention not on you, but on your companion.

Edited by Rothko1

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

If DW wants to dress formally, then go all out and make her look elegant by being formally dressed as well.  Remember, your tuxedo is designed to make you look sharp, but to focus the attention not on you, but on your companion.

No way, No how.😁

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

It may make you look sharp but it doesn't guarantee James Bond athleticism or cerebral perfection.

We are booked on the Halifax to Fort Lauderdale Silver Cloud "Expeditions" cruise in September. It really isn't an expeditions cruise, although the Silver Cloud is deemed an expeditions ship. Will there be formal nights on this cruise on an expeditions ship? I don't see any bowties on any of the days on the itinerary. 

3 minutes ago, alithecat said:

@cotto22There are no formal nights on expedition ships. It will be mostly casual, with a few informal nights. 

I figured there would not be any on a true expedition cruise, but this cruise is on an expedition ship but with no expeditions, if that makes any sense. The excursions are all "normal", no kayaks, or snorkeling, or 5 mile hikes!

PS I love your name!

Edited by cotto22
added something