Cruise uk via Panama to Australia

Coalman26

Hi all,

First time and planning to cruise from Southampton to Australia via Panama, on p&o arcadia. Any tips would be greatly appreciated and should we choose a port or starboard cabin for best overall views, sunsets sunrises etc. Also anything to do with the ship and p&o.

Many thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, Coalman26 said:

Hi all,

First time and planning to cruise from Southampton to Australia via Panama, on p&o arcadia. Any tips would be greatly appreciated and should we choose a port or starboard cabin for best overall views, sunsets sunrises etc. Also anything to do with the ship and p&o.

Many thanks in advance.

Hello.

I cannot advise about Arcadia as not been on her for a longer than a 2 week cruise. I have done the world cruise on that particular route on Aurora tho - such a fantastic holiday/adventure.  I was on starboard side and found the sunshine quota was pretty equal throughout the whole cruise, altho I think going out the port side got more of the sunshine whilst crossing the Atlantic.

Hopefully someone on this forum will be able to give you more current and ship specific advice.

But - it is a wonderful way to travel!

We travelled on Arcadia to Brisbane in C186 port side for the sun across Atlantic but as the ship is always changing direction on the trip it doesn’t really matter. We arrived at San Francisco midday travelling under the Golden Gate Bridge. Going through the Panama Canal takes all day so good to have a balcony. This was in 2017 and Arcadia is a bit older now and I think is to have a small refit in November 24. We like Arcadia but she does not have all the mod cons of newer ships. I would advise taking a shorter cruise of at least a week to ensure that cruising is for you before embarking on such a long cruise. 

12 minutes ago, Coalman26 said:

Thanks a lot. Yes I noticed it was due for a refit. 

What mod cons were missing and where there enough programs going 9n, eg cooking, dancing etc.

I mean things like automatic opening doors between areas and drinking bottle refillers etc. Things that aren’t absolutely necessary but are there on newer ships. There wasn’t any cooking programs that I remember and we aren’t into dancing. There is a special dancing room on Arcadia I believe called The Retreat. 

1 hour ago, Coalman26 said:

Thank you. From the 2 weeks, how did you find the Arcadia?

I’m not sure my opinion is relevant as my 2 week cruises were several years ago now, plus Aurora is very much my favourite. I did enjoy the cruises and found it a friendly ship.

However I have many friends that love Arcadia.

I do agree with @Gettingwarmerand would suggest a short cruise on her before any final balances are due.

Please keep us posted.

We came back from NZ to Southampton on Arcadia, that is to say, half a world cruise, 51 nights via Suez.  Depending on your budget, have a look at the so called obscured view cabins. We had one of these and the view was anything but obscured! waking in the morning and seeing the Sydney opera house outside the window was one of the highlights of my travels. plus these are on the deck above the prom deck, so its easy to nip down stairs and use the prom deck as your balcony. 

(you can check the actual view in each obscured view cabin, there is a bit of the P and O website which has all the photos, ask your TA). 

and btw the best place to enjoy either canal transit imho would be on the outside deck immediately below the bridge, then you can see both sides at the same time, the transit of Suez was another high point among many on that trip. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the inspiration thread posters, I will continue reading.

On my bucket list I have a Panama canal transit, a Suez Canal transit and a voyage from Australia to somewhere. So looking at segments of P&O world cruises, probably something like:

JXZ Southampton to San Francisco.

JJL Sydney to HK.

JJV Sydney to Singapore.

JWX Dubai to Southampton, although there are plenty of alternatives from Marella and MSC for the Suez Canal transit.

Thanks