Meraviglia May 21 live

Joiseymom

30 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

So to me, I'm surprised at and don't really approve of this behavior by the host. It feels unprofessional. Your comments on kids is one thing, but I don't think it's appropriate for the staff to be gossiping with you about other guests. And you know what they say, if they're talking with you like this, you can bet they're talking ABOUT YOU behind your back too!

They're on the clock, they should have politely declined to engage or pivoted the conversation and remained professional, instead of commenting or speculating about other guests.

Staff were probably placating her....not gossiping with her.  Best way to get tips (ask any cab driver)...just agree with whatever the passenger says.

"Unruly kids" puts staff in an awkward position.  Nobody wants them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Staff were probably placating her....not gossiping with her.  Best way to get tips (ask any cab driver)...just agree with whatever the passenger says.

I think this instance was a baby, not unruly kids. I guess to me, babies are going to be babies, and if the parents are trying their best, I don't begrudge sharing public space with them. I also don't mind sharing public space with people who are old and I've definitely seen better behaved babies than some adults haha, can never judge a book by its cover!

Placating, agreeing, gossiping or just fishing for tips, however it's labeled, the behavior still feels uncomfortable to me. I wouldn't want staff talking about me with another customer so golden rule, etc. But I wasn't there, maybe the interaction went differently than how it read.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

So to me, I'm surprised at and don't really approve of this behavior by the host. It feels unprofessional. Your comments on kids is one thing, but I don't think it's appropriate for the staff to be gossiping with you about other guests. And you know what they say, if they're talking with you like this, you can bet they're talking ABOUT YOU behind your back too!

They're on the clock, they should have politely declined to engage or pivoted the conversation and remained professional, instead of commenting or speculating about other guests.

Sorry...I'm with OP on this one.  "A screaching toddler" should have been removed by the parents (as I did with my son when he was a screaching toddler).  It ruins the experience for everyone....passengers and staff. (DH is from a large family and in his homeland this probably would be accepted behavior.  Then again...DH's family wouldn't have been in YC...LOL.)

Anyway....back to the review!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joiseymom said:

Our timing was perfect. As we were leaving a large group was coming in with a baby, 😂. Even the host at the door said we had good timing. We had a very nice conversation as well, as we talked about the night before. I found it interesting that he guessed where they were from.

24 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Sorry...I'm with OP on this one.  "A screaching toddler" should have been removed by the parents (as I did with my son when he was a screaching toddler).  It ruins the experience for everyone....passengers and staff. (DH is from a large family and in his homeland this probably would be accepted behavior.  Then again...DH's family wouldn't have been in YC...LOL.)

Anyway....back to the review!

Oh I agree, a screeching toddler should be removed from the situation for everyone's benefit!  That's what buffet carry out or room service is for. But this particular time wasn't that toddler, just a baby.

But my problem isn't with the behavior of the child or parents, but rather the restaurant staff. In a guest-facing role, they shouldn't be talking about guests with other guests. There's being friendly, but there's also a professional line of privacy and discretion that I'd expect. It's like, no matter how loud or quiet or fat or skinny or old or young you are, your cabin steward shouldn't be talking about it with your neighbor.

Edited by skipsaur
Typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OmegaSeamaster said:

Good to hear. Are you enjoying yourselves? Hopefully things continue to get better. Relax and have fun. 

Yes, we are. It's had it's ups and downs. MSC inconsistency continues onboard. More details with today's recap later 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for posting. You mention a new YC director. Who is that? Sounds like Craig is headed home on vacation. I hope he’ll come back to the Meraviglia as I enjoyed having him in April and am coming back in October with family. 

4 hours ago, skipsaur said:

I saw nothing wrong with our conversation. He guessed their nationality, he didn't know who they were. Staff in YC do of course as they see the behavior. 

3 minutes ago, sbcs5390 said:

Thanks for posting. You mention a new YC director. Who is that? Sounds like Craig is headed home on vacation. I hope he’ll come back to the Meraviglia as I enjoyed having him in April and am coming back in October with family. 

Yes, he has been on the ship for ten months. I think he leaves in 2 weeks. He is a lovely man. I'm bad at names, I apologize. His replacement is from Italy. I'll try to remember his name when I see him next!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skipsaur said:

Oh I agree, a screeching toddler should be removed from the situation for everyone's benefit!  That's what buffet carry out or room service is for. But this particular time wasn't that toddler, just a baby.

But my problem isn't with the behavior of the child or parents, but rather the restaurant staff. In a guest-facing role, they shouldn't be talking about guests with other guests. There's being friendly, but there's also a professional line of privacy and discretion that I'd expect. It's like, no matter how loud or quiet or fat or skinny or old or young you are, your cabin steward shouldn't be talking about it with your neighbor.

It wasn't even the baby it was a group of at least 10 people with the baby, it was going to get loud in there. 

3 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I didn't expect staff to do anything about the child or family. They were eating. They will make sure we are not seated near them again, but as I stated earlier, I won't stay in the MDR if they are there. We will come back once they have finished. They only table at the outside grill today was next to them. Staff who were at another table saw us put down our items, we waved hi to them, got in line to get our food. They them came over and asked if we'd like their table and they moved our items. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joiseymom said:

I didn't expect staff to do anything about the child or family. They were eating. They will make sure we are not seated near them again, but as I stated earlier, I won't stay in the MDR if they are there. We will come back once they have finished. They only table at the outside grill today was next to them. Staff who were at another table saw us put down our items, we waved hi to them, got in line to get our food. They them came over and asked if we'd like their table and they moved our items. 

I don't blame you.  People don't spend thousands of dollars to stay in the YC...and have to deal with other people's noisy kids/grandkids.  I'm glad you made the staff aware and that they are watching out for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Joiseymom, for supplying the info you are kindly sharing. I too will be looking forward to boarding the Meraglivia with a companion this Sunday, the 28th. As I am also a YC traveler, it is somewhat concerning that perhaps the extra money you paid to be in the front of the ship(where all other stateroom travelers are prohibited) via the YC exclusivity  does not match the experience level you expected so far? That, I can appreciate. 

im-so-disappointed-right-now.jpg

Still trying to understand post 38🤔. Off her 2 weeks ago and going again Sunday. We only book YC and always have had the best time. Love the Meraviglia YC and have 5 booked more booked this year. Never had a problem with unruly kids but it’s could be the time of year we sail. 

2 hours ago, KnicksChick said:

I’m currently on this sailing in a Fantastica balcony and I’ve pretty much decided that this is a one and done with this cruise line.

We would have been in that class, if we hadn't one our bid. If we'd ever sail on MSC, it would only be in YC.

Edited by Joiseymom
Typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PurduePete said:

Thank you Joiseymom, for supplying the info you are kindly sharing. I too will be looking forward to boarding the Meraglivia with a companion this Sunday, the 28th. As I am also a YC traveler, it is somewhat concerning that perhaps the extra money you paid to be in the front of the ship(where all other stateroom travelers are prohibited) via the YC exclusivity  does not match the experience level you expected so far? That, I can appreciate. 

im-so-disappointed-right-now.jpg

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect. We've done concierge before on both DCL and Virgin. Virgin disappointed. MSC, with the ship within a ship is awesome. The wristband getting you into a theater is great. The food is not our fave. Our butler started out very good, then we had some issues, and he is bending over backwards to make the an amazing cruise. DCL is excellent at customer service recovery. Our Butler just met that standard and then some. I'll post more later! The Yacht club directors, our butler, and the other head of concierge are all amazing. I can't say that for the other desk staff.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

Still trying to understand post 38🤔. Off her 2 weeks ago and going again Sunday. We only book YC and always have had the best time. Love the Meraviglia YC and have 5 booked more booked this year. Never had a problem with unruly kids but it’s could be the time of year we sail. 

The kids can happen anywhere, but idt mot MSC fault, it's the parents. I appreciate the staff doing what they can for us to avoid them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joiseymom said:

The Yacht club directors, our butler, and the other head of concierge are all amazing. I can't say that for the other desk staff.

I think Denise and the other female were great. Vishnu and Michael (the two males) tended to frustrate me. Marcelo the head butler was also very helpful I found. 

If you go by the Spa, any chance you can tell us if they offer Day Pass for the Thermal Spa? Boarding in 2 weeks and contemplating if we should buy for the whole week. We just plan to go once or twice.

Thanks in advance!

17 minutes ago, kittymadam said:

If you go by the Spa, any chance you can tell us if they offer Day Pass for the Thermal Spa? Boarding in 2 weeks and contemplating if we should buy for the whole week. We just plan to go once or twice.

Thanks in advance!

If you go one time to the spa, the day pass is cheaper, if you go two times the cruise pass is already cheaper.

10 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I don't blame you.  People don't spend thousands of dollars to stay in the YC...and have to deal with other people's noisy kids/grandkids.

I'm confused, is YC adults only? 

I think MSC is well-known as a kid friendly line. Meraviglia specifically even won an award for it, I believe.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joiseymom said:

Staff who were at another table saw us put down our items, we waved hi to them, got in line to get our food. They them came over and asked if we'd like their table and they moved our items. 

This sounds like a fair compromise and more the type of service I'd expect. Simple, discreet and effective.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skipsaur said:

I'm confused, is YC adults only? 

I think MSC is well-known as a kid friendly line. Meraviglia specifically even won an award for it, I believe.

People should control their kids.  If they can't, they shouldn't put them in that situation or take them out of the immediate situation.  It's not "the kid"....but the noise coming out of the kid.

Really....no different than an adult talking on a phone during a movie.  Be respectful of others.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

People should control their kids.  If they can't, they shouldn't put them in that situation or take them out of the immediate situation.  It's not "the kid"....but the noise coming out of the kid.

Really....no different than an adult talking on a phone during a movie.  Be respectful of others.

No one's arguing with you on that point! 👍