Room service in the Grills

AspirationalFlyer

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

You fill in the breakfast care and hang it on the door before retiring of an evening.

Anything not on the menu, such as brown sauce for my bacon, I add to the card. Not tried anything else off menu so if you want anything such as Eggs Benedict, it might be prudent to pre order the night before.

The Butler will come in the morning within your preferred time, lay the table cloth and silverware and leave the food for you.

Ah—thank you! Pre-order Eggs Benedict (or Shirred Eggs, or Omelette) in the restaurant the night before, and make a note to that effect on the breakfast card. Butler will take care of the rest. (If that’s still not correct, I’ve got two years to figure it out . . . .)

3 minutes ago, rmsEtruria said:

Ah—thank you! Pre-order Eggs Benedict (or Shirred Eggs, or Omelette) in the restaurant the night before, and make a note to that effect on the breakfast card. Butler will take care of the rest. (If that’s still not correct, I’ve got two years to figure it out . . . .)

Two years? They’ll probably have changed the system by then. 🙂

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Two years? They’ll probably have changed the system by then. 🙂

Yes, there’s that risk—hence I’ll follow this board religiously to stay updated! (And get information on other pesky—and petty—details.) We’re aiming for a TA westbound on QM2 in summer 2025; it’s the earliest we can manage. But I’m a bit of a travel planning freak, and having never been on a ship before, there’s a lot to learn ahead of time . . . .

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rmsEtruria said:

Omelettes are on the card,

Next time I'm onboard [fairly soon], I'll take a photo of the card for you, although I think an example is on a thread somewhere.

I'll also photograph the QG cabin drinks list although I don't know if it's the same across all the ships.

1 hour ago, rmsEtruria said:

Yes, there’s that risk—hence I’ll follow this board religiously to stay updated! (And get information on other pesky—and petty—details.) We’re aiming for a TA westbound on QM2 in summer 2025; it’s the earliest we can manage. But I’m a bit of a travel planning freak, and having never been on a ship before, there’s a lot to learn ahead of time . . . .

I love that your first time on a ship will be a TA on the QM2! 

6 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Hmmmmm!

As one who dislikes QM2, I'll go with the first time on a ship will be a Cunard ship! 🙂

QM2 May have her faults, like almost all the Grills facilities, but she is the one to do a TA aboard.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Hmmmmm!

As one who dislikes QM2, I'll go with the first time on a ship will be a Cunard ship! 🙂

I can see how QM2 may not a favorite, but please explain what you dislike about the vessel. My prompt is a “judgement-free” request, just interested in your point of view and appreciate hearing your perspective. 
I look forward to finally taking a voyage on the QV, knowing that its your fav. Maybe a Norwegian voyage next time? 

Edited by NE John

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

QM2 May have her faults, like almost all the Grills facilities, but she is the one to do a TA aboard.

We've done two TAs on Victoria.

Loved both of them.

Each to their own. I haven't travelled in any other than Britannia on QM2 but found very  little to love about her interior.

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I maybe in the minority, but I enjoyed the Grills Lounge (tea and drinks) and didn’t think the outdoor Grills space was as bad as expected. 
The vibe in those areas was just what I needed - calm with personal service. 

1 minute ago, NE John said:

I can see how QM2 may not a favorite, but please explain what you dislike about the vessel. My prompt is a “judgement-free” request, just interested in your point of view and appreciate hearing your perspective. 
I look forward to finally taking a voyage on the QV, knowing that its your fav. Maybe a Norwegian voyage next time? 

My description of her would be of a much loved aunt who lived in faded elegance with memories of times past.

That's pre and post her refit. I didn't like the quirky layout either but to be fair, I loved the library.

QV is nothing like her and if you love The Mary, you might not be too enamoured of Victoria as she is most definitely a cruise ship.

• Thanks 1

at least you are going the proper direction!  Westbound will give you 25 hour days instead of 23 hour days.  

QM is a bigger ship, so there are pros and cons associated with that.  Definitely the right ship to be on for a TA, but the Grill Restaurant on the promenade deck (people looking in on you as you eat),   interior spa area with no public sauna, smaller Commodore Club are some of the downsides of QM relative to QV/QE

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Omelettes are on the card,

Next time I'm onboard [fairly soon], I'll take a photo of the card for you, although I think an example is on a thread somewhere.

I'll also photograph the QG cabin drinks list although I don't know if it's the same across all the ships.

Thanks! Yes, I’ve seen the breakfast card elsewhere—just didn’t have it in front of me when mentioning omelettes. 

57 minutes ago, techteach said:

I posted the QG drink menu last week somewhere…here it is again

8C66D4C8-3A3C-46AE-969F-E3FF4A72ACA2.thumb.jpeg.c23d1ddcc769c8ded5efdc92a1b12265.jpeg

Many thanks for the drinks menu! Generally, we’re more interested in food than in drinks, but it will be nice to have those two bottles in the room—a Sauvignon Blanc probably (need to check on that NZ Marlborough), and a Cognac.

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

My description of her would be of a much loved aunt who lived in faded elegance with memories of times past.

That's pre and post her refit. I didn't like the quirky layout either but to be fair, I loved the library.

QV is nothing like her and if you love The Mary, you might not be too enamoured of Victoria as she is most definitely a cruise ship. 

The QM2 layout is indeed challenging and each time my DW gets a workout listening to my directions: turn here, oops, nope. Turn there. No. Yikes, turn around. Ohh! Wrong stairs…!  etc. 

I did lose three pounds on my latest TA though. 
I’ve been on the QE and enjoyed our time onboard but on regular cruises, one is off the ship so much visiting ports vs a TA when the ship itself is the destination. 

• Like 1

Just now, NE John said:

The QM2 layout is indeed challenging and each time my DW gets a workout listening to my directions: turn here, oops, nope. Turn there. No. Yikes, turn around. Ohh! Wrong stairs…!  etc. 

I’ve been on the QE and enjoyed our time onboard but on regular cruises, one is off the ship so much visiting ports vs a TA when the ship itself is the destination. 

My work out, apart from deck laps, was yomping aft to mid ships and also the theater a few times a day for various activities.

I put on one lb. which considering the alcohol consumed, was quite a relief  it wasn't more. 🙂

5 minutes ago, rmsEtruria said:

Many thanks for the drinks menu! Generally, we’re more interested in food than in drinks, but it will be nice to have those two bottles in the room—a Sauvignon Blanc probably (need to check on that NZ Marlborough), and a Cognac.

Yealands is most quaffable. I often buy it at home as a 'knocking back' house white. 👍

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Hmmmmm!

I kind of was expecting that response from you, Victoria2! But for me, there could never be a question as to what would be my first (and, who knows, only?) trip on a ship. As you can guess from my user name and icon, I love old ships, especially the great transatlantic liners. 
NE John—thank you also for your welcoming note. Strictly speaking, it will only be for me the first time on a ship; my wife had the good fortune in 1963 to sail to Southampton on the first Queen Mary (and on to India on P&O’s Himalaya). At any event, it will be Cunard for the first trip for both of us!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rmsEtruria said:

I kind of was expecting that response from you, Victoria2! But for me, there could never be a question as to what would be my first (and, who knows, only?) trip on a ship. As you can guess from my user name and icon, I love old ships, especially the great transatlantic liners. 
NE John—thank you also for your welcoming note. Strictly speaking, it will only be for me the first time on a ship; my wife had the good fortune in 1963 to sail to Southampton on the first Queen Mary (and on to India on P&O’s Himalaya). At any event, it will be Cunard for the first trip for both of us!

You both will love the Art Deco decor and old school elegance of the QM2. 
We just finished a TA in PG and really enjoyed our time onboard. There is an area  on the lower decks with pictures and stories of the Cunard line that you may enjoy. I wrote a review of that TA on a nearby post. 
There is tons of information on these boards (and some chuckles too). 

20 minutes ago, NE John said:

“Faded elegance with memories of times past,” as Victoria2 put it, suits me just fine (being a historian by trade). I’m also one of those travellers for whom the most fun is getting there, rather than being there—not much of a sightseer. The ship as the destination is what I am looking for. Still, if we like it on the ship, we may want to go on a “regular” cruise later on; DW is more for being there than getting there. If so, and especially if any of them were leaving from ports in the U.S., we might explore QV or QE (or even—horribile dictu—QA).

The challenging layout of QM2 does not worry me—although my DW may find herself in similar circumstances as does yours!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Yealands is most quaffable. I often buy it at home as a 'knocking back' house white. 👍

Sounds good! As for cognac, as long as Courvoisier is still on the list two years from now, I should be okay. I would prefer Delamain (probably too much to ask), or Hennessy or Martell, and may try to negotiate with the butler (I know, Major Tom has had a bad experience in that regard); on the other hand, I can’t see myself finishing an entire bottle of spirits (and its a whole liter, isn’t it?) in just seven days— so perhaps no sense in asking for extras.

I still have a 102 year old great aunt around so I guess I like the grand old ladies too. 
@Victoria2is right though and I do “warn” people that the QM2 is not for everyone nor is spending seven nights at sea, but it sounds like you two would relish all that, like I do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skyhigh said:

at least you are going the proper direction!  Westbound will give you 25 hour days instead of 23 hour days.  

QM is a bigger ship, so there are pros and cons associated with that.  Definitely the right ship to be on for a TA, but the Grill Restaurant on the promenade deck (people looking in on you as you eat),   interior spa area with no public sauna, smaller Commodore Club are some of the downsides of QM relative to QV/QE

Always wanted to sail from Europe to the U.S., and see the Statue of Liberty while entering—well, making an entrance, on the QM2—New York harbor. (I know, it will be at 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning, and there may be fog; but it’s the idea of it.) 

Thanks for the tips; none of them are in any way discouraging to us.

• Like 3