Tipping in Airports

turtlemichael

As someone who is not overly familiar with the American tipping culture, can anyone give me advice as to what is a reasonable tip for the person who pushes a wheelchair from check-in to the lounge and then the lounge to the gate? In our case, it's in Miami Airport.  I've been told "it's up to you" but that doesn't help me much. Thanks.

@turtlemichael

This is not a truly informed answer because I'm not a wheelchair user. However, as a frequent airline passenger I've seen many wheelchair users brought by airport attendants to the boarding areas, and I normally do see a tip being given, $5.00 being the most common amount. 

$10 to $20 depending on amount of time/service needed:

• If only going to or from the gate (which also includes taking passenger through security, restroom stop if needed, waiting at the gate and taking the passenger up/down the jetway)  - $10. 
  • If also taking passenger to a lounge and later picking them up to take to the gate OR if gate service includes lengthy transfers to different concourse or terminal (plus everything mentioned above) - $20 
  • Like 1

Having used a wheelchair for my mother, I would agree with $10.  However we had times when they asked us if we could push it ourselves as they were overwhelmed and then no tip was needed.  

I think you need to look at the services provided and duration to decide what is reasonable. We had one attendant who picked us up from an international flight at Newark airport and then pushed us through customs/immigration helped transfer our bags, as Newark was our entry point to the US, so you have to "touch" your bags for them to be checked to your final destination and then onto the lounge. It was well worth the $20 service as I was tired and there was no way I could juggle pushing my dad and handling our carryon bags. The person who brought us just from the lounge to the gate got a $5. I would not assume that the same person would get you so be prepared to tip multiple people. Tipping is a bit out of control. You will encounter multiple people handling your luggage at the hotel as well. One bellman will load it on a cart from the car/taxi and then a different bellman will then deliver it to your room. 

• Like 1