skagway

neelv

thinking of doing chilkoot tours for rail/bus to white pass .. I think the longer trip to Yukon maybe  a bit too much with 9 and 11 yo. 

thoughts ?  Is Yukon have that much more to offer than the white pass trip?

Not really, and you would need passports to cross the border into the Yukon. You could also rent a car.  Download Murray’s Guide online if you drive.  You could stop along the way.    Bus/train combo gives you more variety than just train and the bus will probably stop along the way.  

The train is amazing.  Renting a car and driving lets you see more.  You can stop and take pictures when you want.  The Carcross desert and Emerald Lake are great to visit, and there is a sled dog adventure the children would probably love, along the highway.

• 1 month later...

We did the rail/bus combo with our son.  I think it was about 30 minutes for each leg.  He did fine.  But for me, 30 minutes on the train was long enough for me too.  I think we did the bus ride first, and then train back.  They instructed us at the end to stay seated on the train while customs boarded.  I believe we all had to hold our passports up while they walked down the aisle.   We were instructed not to take pictures of them.  Have fun!  We took our son on 3 Alaska cruises. (Only did the train once though....it was enough). 

On 5/25/2023 at 7:00 AM, misguy said:

The train is amazing.  Renting a car and driving lets you see more.  You can stop and take pictures when you want.  The Carcross desert and Emerald Lake are great to visit, and there is a sled dog adventure the children would probably love, along the highway.

I second this. Renting a car was the same cost as train for 2. Even a quick stop at Caribou crossing let us see the puppies and sleds running. Beautiful drive and able to stop and explore. Second visit to Skagway and going to rent a car again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...