"Disability Certificate"? HELP!

racenut

Hi! We live in the US, traveling to Italy, and have been asked by tour company for this "disability certificate"? When I told her I was unfamiliar with this she responded "the majority of our customers are US and there has never been an issue with them providing?" Can anyone clarify what is being used?  My son suffered a stroke several years ago and has difficulty walking distance and incline. Thank you!

Perhaps a letter, on letterhead/etc., from his physician stating that he is disabled?

Note that overseas, the Americans with Disabilities Act/etc., is not binding.  With that, it was not necessary to state the specific disability.

However, for overseas, it might be helpful to be at least somewhat specific, such as "cannot stand for more than 5 minutes [which can feel like 5 hours for someone who has trouble standing!], or cannot walk more than 3 yards, or must use a wheelchair or scooter/etc... and perhaps give something about the diagnosis.

Under regular [other!] circumstances, I'd ask the trip organizer what type of detail is useful, but it doesn't sound like they are being particularly helpful.

Note:  Is this likely to mean that his needs won't be properly taken into account?

Is there someone else at the tour company that you could ask?

Please make sure that *they* are aware of the specific needs (e.g., wheelchair) and that the trip will be suitable.  Otherwise, there might be a hotel where there is no lift or such.

GC

Thanks for the replies! I followed back up with the tour company, I stated that all we have is the handicap parking plackard and they said that would be fine? We shall see! Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

we are in canada we were told to bring our handicap parking placard, but in europe nobody actually asked for it.We found wherever we went people were so helpful and went out of their way to help or accomodate.

• Like 1

I was surprised to be asked for this in Barcelona last fall. We had booked a private tour with disabled accessible travel and it was not mentioned in our contract. When we checked in at la sagrada familia, our tour guide spoke to the ticket agent and it was sorted out. She said in the future to bring a copy of the handicap placard.