PRE-CRUISE HOTEL QUESTION FOR ROME

We are on the cruise Rome to Barcelona Oct 2023.  We have booked a concierge cabin on Voyager, and we have the free pre-night stay in Rome, I believe at the Westin Excelsior which appears very centrally located.   We are planning on staying a few days extra in Rome before the cruise begins. We have booked a few nights at the Hotel Navona.  Is it a good idea to move to the Regent Hotel on the day before the cruise.  I was thinking that moving to a different hotel for one night is a hassle, but I'm thinking the transfer to the ship would be useful.

Any comments would be appreciated.

• Like 1

It is quite a distance from Rome to Piraeus and the traffic can be very heavy. You could get the Navona to order you a taxi or book a car before you go - pros you will get there before the coach and have a more comfortable journey cons could be expensive and you have already paid for the pre night and transfer so will lose that (others may know if Regent will refund that as they do with flights we don't use).

are you doing a couple of days in Barcelona at the end? That is also a lovely city to visit but Roma is my favourite ❤️ 

It is a very long way from Rome to Piraeus - hefty taxi fare! It’s in a different country. I’d be tempted to stick with Civitivecchia tbh, which is far enough.

Sorry, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit - but the highest form of humour.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Pies4u said:

It is a very long way from Rome to Piraeus - hefty taxi fare! It’s in a different country. I’d be tempted to stick with Civitivecchia tbh, which is far enough.

Sorry, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit - but the highest form of humour.

What a mistaka to maka 😂 Yep it is certainly a very long way 😂😂 Had Piraeus on the brain as was posting on the Seabourn board about a previous cruise that finished  there ( and it's easier to spell 😂😂😜)

Edited by Techno123

3 hours ago, lonestartor said:

Techno123, thanks for the comment...appreciate it.

Yes, Definitely plan to spend several days post cruise in Barcelona as we've never been there before.

You are very welcome - just don't get your taxi from Piraeus 😂😂

• Haha 1

I believe you can get a modest refund for an unused hotel night for the concierge cabin from Regent.  Maybe enough to pay for a private car transfer.  We are paying 160e for a private car transfer from the port to Rome, I expect it would be similar for the other direction.  RomeCabs has been mentioned here as good for car service; they were unavailable for us so we are trying civitavecchiaport.org. 

For myself, I'd probably stick with one hotel rather than switching for one night.

• Like 2

I agree with curmudgeon, you get a credit for unused hotel.  As I remember, it should be enough to  cover the cost of private transportation.  Will definitely be worth it to not move hotels and to not have to ride in a bus to the port.  You should get your TA to price the credit out for you and see what you think.  

• Like 1

I checked and the hotel credit is 180 US$ per person. That’s a total of about €335. For that you can use a company like Rome Cab for a private transfer to the ship plus a significant amount left over that you can use for your additional day at the hotel. In my opinion, the private transfer will be far superior to the Regent bus transfer.

Dave

• Like 3

We had our pre cruise hotel and transfers cancelled by Regent in a Lisbon hotel and only got $250 credit per cabin. This was after we had booked. If your hotel credit is $180 per person that seems generous and  would almost pay for a night in a decent hotel however private transfers to the port have cost us Pre covid up to €450. We used Romeinlimos. Upside is they will stop on the way for coffee or lunch or maybe the Catacombs ( we did this and they were well worth a visit ). We would recommend them. The journey takes approx 1 to 1hr.30 mins depending on the traffic.

However as the transfer is included with the hotel this option would certainly be more cost affective. 
Another option is the train. The trains to the port are excellent. Book the high speed one ( it is air conditioned and cheap ) and travel in comfort perhaps spending the night before the cruise in Civitavecchia.