Seattle to Vancouver

maggiev

I live in the Seattle area and I used Amtrak to get to Vancouver, BC for my cruise earlier this May.

There are two trains a day, one leaving

Seattle at about 7:50 AM arriving Vancouver, BC at 11:50 AM

and the evening train

Seattle 7PM - arriving Vancouver, BC at 11 PM.

Make sure that you book Vancouver, BC and not Vancouver WA - both served by Amtrak

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I live in the Seattle area and I used Amtrak to get to Vancouver, BC for my cruise earlier this May.

There are two trains a day, one leaving

Seattle at about 7:50 AM arriving Vancouver, BC at 11:50 AM

and the evening train

Seattle 7PM - arriving Vancouver, BC at 11 PM.

Make sure that you book Vancouver, BC and not Vancouver WA - both served by Amtrak

Also adding you can purchase bus tickets via Amtrak; they partner with another company that services Seattle to Vancouver    in between the two train departures. Last month we took the bus up and the train back. Highly recommend the train over the bus. The bus is safe and clean, but the train is highly more scenic and you're not dealing with I5 traffic. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maggiev said:

I’ve read lots of posts talking going from Seattle to Vancouver pre pandemic but what about recent people doing it.

what should I know, how can I do it effortlessly.

maggie 

The Alaska season is only 3 or so weeks old. 

4 hours ago, dawnvip said:

But far more people fly into Vancouver  than require transport from Seattle.

10 hours ago, libtrek said:

We are flying to Seattle, then taking FLIX bus to Vancouver. I will post after June12-19 cruise. We are going a day earlier and staying an extra at the end.

Thanks!  I think folks will be interested in knowing about the bus across the border experience.

• Like 1

We rented a car through budget and drove from Seattle to Vancouver. The money saved on the plane tickets covered the car, fuel and the hotel in Vancouver (right downtown). The border crossing was a non-event, it was only about 3-5 minutes to get through the border at 5pm. 

Dave

• Like 1

More detail about FLIX bus. We fly into Seattle, then will take an Uber or taxi to S. Lane Street. There is a huge market there, Uwajimaya Seattle, where will lunch and shop until our bus comes. We purchased tickets online for about $37/person and got assigned seats and luggage tags for our suitcases. It will cross the border, I think we have to get off, walk through a checkpoint, then back on the bus. Drops us off at the Pacific Central Station in Vancouver. Again, taxi or Uber to hotel. Direct flight to Seattle from Detroit was much cheaper.

If you take the early Amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver, arrive super early to King Street Station, especially if you've got luggage to check.

We took the 7:50am train up a couple of weeks ago. Be aware that you need to go to one area first to get any checked luggage tagged, and then go to passport check, and *then* get in line for the train itself (and you keep your luggage with you until just before boarding). The staff tried to shout out instructions but it was really hard to hear. Our train was also sold out, as well, so it was a bit chaotic.

I don't know if they always do this or if it was just because the train was sold out, but instead of boarding the queue in order, they called for groups of six or more to board first, then groups of five, four, etc.

Also be aware that delays can happen. We had several pauses due to freight traffic on the tracks, and then a long delay when the train actually reached Pacific Central in Vancouver, and then another delay for luggage to be unloaded, and then the wait for border security. It was well past 2pm by the time we were out of the station. Fortunately Vancouver is home for us, but if we'd been boarding a ship that day I'd have been sweating.

We're taking the train down to Seattle next month for our next cruise, but then will bus back.

if the train or FLIX works for you it is a good option,  If flying in to SEA then a connection flight to Vancouver is probably more practical, in the end.  It is all about your own level of comfort and practicality.

Uwajimaya is an excellent choice for browsing and eating!