Interesting chat on Iona about the P and O app failing

I spoke with the restaurant manager in Coral MDR on Iona today

This is my conversation.

"Hi please dont worry I am not complaining as the app has always worked for me but do you mind me asking how often the app you use for the restaurant bookings ever goes down?"

"Sorry I don't understand your question?"

"I've heard from others cruisers that the P and O app sometimes fails to work properly and you can lose all the table bookings sometimes. So I just wondered how often that's happened to you?"

"I have never lost any reservations on the app. That never happens. Occasionally there can be a problem though where the messages inviting guests in  the virtual queues freeze and so my guests don't get the message their table is ready. And on some phones the only way to unfreeze is to manually refresh on their phone"

I guess a learning  curve for me at least would be if I'm ever in  a virtual queue on P and O that seems stuck then I would head to the restaurant to tell them and if the restaurant manager is correct my table should still be reserved for me

Either that of the restaurant manager is very  lucky or blatantly lying to me. But he had no need to lie. I made it clear I wasn't complaining from them start.

Hopefully the above at least helps if you are ever in a virtual queue for a table and don't appear to be moving forward in a queue

His and Pearl are the biggest MDRs on Iona so he's had plenty of chance for problems with the app

This is the same guy who advised groups of 6 or less who need help reserving tables to just ask him

A good time to do that would be when leaving breakfast each morning or early evenings before you get ready for dinner (assuming you don't want to use the app) 

You can reserve tables for multiple nights direct should you wish

For most using the app is far more convenient though

If not walk in before 6.30pm without a pager normally at his restaurant at least with tables upto 8

And with a pager after then normally

This morning for breakfast there were 3 couples  waiting for walk ins and nobody waiting for Pre-booked when we arrived

We pre booked in virtual queue for 9.15am and waited 1 minute in virtual queue in an 18 person queue

The restaurant was very busy. But still very calm. Our breakfast took 40 minutes approx from arrival to exit

Both ourselves and the others  in walk in only queue were seated at the same time by 2 staff at separate tables. 

We followed the staff in pairs of couples. Ie 1 staff seated 2 couples.

It's a much more complicated process in a busy restaurant like that taking breakfast orders with all the permutations than dinner orders

But they do it well. And I imagine the staff are totally drained at the end of breakfast service as it's non stop for them with all the things they have to fetch and serve 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

have never lost any reservations on the app. That never happens. Occasionally there can be a problem though where the messages inviting guests in  the virtual queues freeze and so my guests don't get the message their table is ready. And on some phones the only way to unfreeze is to manually refresh on their phone"

Brilliant if the actual app isn't down ship wide as it was here.  The problem hasn't been joining a queue and losing it. The problem was literally no app anywhere ship wide for anyone, crew or passengers.  The lost reservations and bookings were of select restaurants and entertainment too. Literally gone and according to help desk gone forever unless you could recall what they all were and reception could recover them.

A slightly different problem I hope you might agree.  We had to resort to paper chits being signed and printed bills for 1 1/2 days.

I returned a purchase to the shop on one of those days. The poor manager took 8 days to get it put back on because the computer kept giving me more than I was owed - my P&O discount.  He finally gave up and said keep the

8 1/2%, I'm sick of it.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Brilliant if the actual app isn't down ship wide as it was here.  The problem hasn't been joining a queue and losing it. The problem was literally no app anywhere ship wide for anyone, crew or passengers.  The lost reservations and bookings were of select restaurants and entertainment too. Literally gone and according to help desk gone forever unless you could recall what they all were and reception could recover them.

A slightly different problem I hope you might agree.  We had to resort to paper chits being signed and printed bills for 1 1/2 days.

I returned a purchase to the shop on one of those days. The poor manager took 8 days to get it put back on because the computer kept giving me more than I was owed - my P&O discount.  He finally gave up and said keep the

8 1/2%, I'm sick of it.

Well either that's never happened to this restaurant manager on Iona or I've just been lied to?

I'm not going back to ask him though!!

Lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Well either that's never happened to this restaurant manager on Iona or I've just been lied to?

Lol

Interesting though, you'll have seen a few others saying the app has been completely out for days on some of their Iona and Arvia cruises. Maybe he's new so hasn't had the pleasure!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The other alternative of course is everybody book the same P and O cruise as me as I'm obviously very lucky every cruise I go on!!

I will confirm exactly what dates we pick for our next cruise in due course!!

Might sneak one in September 

Lol

We were sat sitting down in a bar waiting on the virtual queue. It doesn't seem to be moving much !. Swipe screen down....Oh!, going down now. Every five minutes...swipe down...table now ready....sorted. As you have said, problems happen. Deal with them and move on. It doesn't matter how many times folk come on here telling us all that Arvia only has 2 MDR,s, P&O won't build any more. As we eat in the MDR only some of the time, we can cope. Plenty of other choices to eat. We won't go hungry.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Interesting though, you'll have seen a few others saying the app has been completely out for days on some of their Iona and Arvia cruises. Maybe he's new so hasn't had the pleasure!

I wonder how many folk who say the app doesn't work have their settings wrong. Airplane mode on, Wi-Fi on. A bit frustrating for some folk, but generally not a P&O failure.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I wonder how many folk who say the app doesn't work have their settings wrong. Airplane mode on, Wi-Fi on. A bit frustrating for some folk, but generally not a P&O failure.

Very true but we actually didn't have an app to use because the whole Wi-Fi system it piggy backs off was down.

Can't get the settings wrong when it's not there to connect to, unless someone knows differently?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Very true but we actually didn't have an app to use because the whole Wi-Fi system it piggy backs off was down.

Can't get the settings wrong when it's not there to connect to, unless someone knows differently?

How many days was it like that MB?

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Anyone not tech savvy must be getting frightened to death. The whole fleet is doomed.  The app stopped working . Were there many folk who didn't get fed?.

11 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

How many days was it like that MB?

Day 2 and 3 and then on and off through days 5, 6 and 7.  You get a message telling you the safety certificate for P&O is invalid and unsafe to use when you want to access the app.  You see literally nothing even if you try to override safety settings.   The first day was out completely from around 10.00am, it came back overnight apparently but disappeared again while in La Coruna

That big crash is what lost people's bookings and reservations.  It's why still people are queuing early for things as if your bookings didn't come back- apparently several thousand according to front desk - you aren't on the computer list for the theatre, 710 Club etc.  There have been people who've paid and booked in advance for Sindhu and Epicurean but computer says no and has actually allowed someone else to make a double booking.  Happened to a couple sitting next to me in Epicurean the other night. The restaurant manager squeezed them in because it was the guy's birthday.  He showed me hid app, absolutely nothing in it yet he had paper print outs for all 14 days of home registration emails confirming his places.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Anyone not tech savvy must be getting frightened to death. The whole fleet is doomed.  The app stopped working . Were there many folk who didn't get fed?.

They got fed but not where they'd booked and paid for in a lot of cases.  I can assure you it wasn't a laughing matter to those guys.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Day 2 and 3 and then on and off through days 5, 6 and 7.  You get a message telling you the safety certificate for P&O is invalid and unsafe to use when you want to access the app.  You see literally nothing even if you try to override safety settings.   The first day was out completely from around 10.00am, it came back overnight apparently but disappeared again while in La Coruna

That big crash is what lost people's bookings and reservations.  It's why still people are queuing early for things as if your bookings didn't come back- apparently several thousand according to front desk - you aren't on the computer list for the theatre, 710 Club etc.  There have been people who've paid and booked in advance for Sindhu and Epicurean but computer says no and has actually allowed someone else to make a double booking.  Happened to a couple sitting next to me in Epicurean the other night. The restaurant manager squeezed them in because it was the guy's birthday.  He showed me hid app, absolutely nothing in it yet he had paper print outs for all 14 days of home registration emails confirming his places.

Not good then

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

They got fed but not where they'd booked and paid for in a lot of cases.  I can assure you it wasn't a laughing matter to those guys.

I'm sure they and P&O dealt with it. Tech problems happen BA cancelled 80 flights due to IT issues. I'm sure nobody is laughing, but I'm equally sure most folk will enjoy their holiday, having dealt with any issues.

8 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Not good then

Exactly, now I hope you don't think I'm being a moaning Minnie for the sake of it. 

Enjoy the sun, we have more wind and rain so people scratching around for things to do.  I like the lectures but even the Club is struggling to hold everyone going along because realistically there's one thing at a time and little choice if you're not into spa lectures.  There was a great art lecture about Dali the other day but it seemed lost on a lot who's attended, I don't think they knew who he was!

Just been to meet Neil Lockwood, what a great guy he is.  Had a long chat about The Alan Parsons Project who I love.  He told me they're still on the European and US circuit do I'm off to plan a trip to see them for first time since 1997.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Lol

The app was down for over 24 hrs on Iona in February. Fact. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Exactly. And when the Captain makes an announcement apologising for the problems, you know full well that it’s just not you!  The IT problem on Iona in Feb even impacted the kitchens. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I'm sure they and P&O dealt with it. Tech problems happen BA cancelled 80 flights due to IT issues. I'm sure nobody is laughing, but I'm equally sure most folk will enjoy their holiday, having dealt with any issues.

And I've never suggested otherwise, although watching people still getting turned away days after the event I'm not so sure the outcome has been good for some.

I really don't see the need to keep repeating things on this issue, there's clearly two views and as I've repeatedly said we have to live with what's there. 

My last comment on this is P&O must know there's some pretty major issues with this thing and hopefully are working on a full operational internal service that actually works the majority of the time.

It's not difficult. I used Celebrity's last year - you even open your room door on the app - Princesses' Medallion, RC's app and countless hotels in the UK and Europe.  None of these behaved like the P&O one and I don't just mean here on Arvia as it didn't work on Britannia last year either. 

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

The app clearly does work the majority of the time already though. 

Same as most modern tech and wifi

What we actually want and need is for it to be infallible

That's  much harder to achieve and hope for of course

As we keep mentioning British Airways right now

Sometimes of course wifi and also apps go down for reasons beyond the control of the business themselves that are impacted

No matter what they do

Happened to every business I've worked for and with 

I'm sure its happened to other cruise lines as well

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

If there are issues with the app, and we have had major issues, it’s annoying but not a big problem for the two of us. We’re quite flexible and go with the flow. 

However, if we had encountered similar problems in the past when my parents used to come with us, it would have stressed me out. It was difficult enough as it was to organise everything due to their mobility problems, and the fact that they were unable to stand for extended periods. So to be told that bookings had been lost and then having to go somewhere else for a meal would have drained their reserves. 

So I think we need to consider things like that. Some on here are quite flippant as but if you’re fit and well, everything is easier. Cruising is meant to be relaxing! 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

And I've never suggested otherwise, although watching people still getting turned away days after the event I'm not so sure the outcome has been good for some.

I really don't see the need to keep repeating things on this issue, there's clearly two views and as I've repeatedly said we have to live with what's there. 

My last comment on this is P&O must know there's some pretty major issues with this thing and hopefully are working on a full operational internal service that actually works the majority of the time.

It's not difficult. I used Celebrity's last year - you even open your room door on the app - Princesses' Medallion, RC's app and countless hotels in the UK and Europe.  None of these behaved like the P&O one and I don't just mean here on Arvia as it didn't work on Britannia last year either. 

Difference of opinion. We cruised with Celebrity last year and couldn't open the door with the app. Wi-Fi kept dropping out anyway. We Cruised with Britannia last year and the app worked fine. Other folk ( not you ) pick up an any negative post and exaggerate. Horrendous queues etc, causing folk to talk about cancelling their holiday. That's not right, is it?. Fair criticism should be fair.

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

What we actually want and need is for it to be infallible

Nothing can be infallible  what we need is reliable. BA are a laughing stock over the years with their problems with IT.  With dodgy websites, strange AI answering telephones and an app that's not an app I'd be sad to see P&O bdcome one too.

• Like 2

I haven't got time but  I have no doubt if I checked reviews for celebrity and princess there will be plenty of complaints about having to use apps and the apps failing  on there as well at times

If not I would be amazed

I can only repeat I've obviously been lucky and not only has the app worked fine the majority of time for me. It's worked all of the time. 

So far!!

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Nothing can be infallible  what we need is reliable. BA are a laughing stock over the years with their problems with IT.  With dodgy websites, strange AI answering telephones and an app that's not an app I'd be sad to see P&O bdcome one too.

It is reliable the majority of the time

Clearly not infallible though

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Difference of opinion. We cruised with Celebrity last year and couldn't open the door with the app. Wi-Fi kept dropping out anyway. We Cruised with Britannia last year and the app worked fine. Other folk ( not you ) pick up an any negative post and exaggerate. Horrendous queues etc, causing folk to talk about cancelling their holiday. That's not right, is it?. Fair criticism should be fair.

Again, different ships, different experience. I believe you sailed on Silhouette if I remember rightly, I sailed on Edge. One built for very recently one adapted for the technology. Proof technology isn't nevessarily the answer.  

The other folk have also made me feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome to the point I was quite distressed.  I believe in fairly giving my experience if I think it's relevant and I think people picking only on negative facts are mischief making for the sake of it.  On the other hand it's very unkind to hold me alone responsible for a decision to cancel a holiday or say I'm getting special treatment because I emailed someone I know in Southampton, ironically at the suggestion of some of the very posters on here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1