Wheelchair assistance at airport

gunnywife

I have requested wheelchair assistance at airport.  I am also taking a collapsible walker on this trip.  My question  -- is there some way the walker can be attached to the wheelchair or would I be better off just using the walker to navigate through Heathrow?  I'm sure others have dealt with this issue and would appreciate your suggestions.

I've been on many cruises but  this is the first time I feel I might need a walker at the ports.  Another question - will I have help getting off and on the ship with the walker. and how do I deal with the walker on a tender?

I just want to be prepared for any problems that might arise.

At the airport:  There will be a way for you to transport your walker.   It may either fit somehow on the back of the wheelchair or you could possibly hold it in your lap (folded).  If you need to use a wheelchair, I definitely would not recommend trying to just use your walker.  Besides that, the wheelchair pushers know exactly how to get to where you need to go and how to get in the correct line.  When you actually are at your gate (and have your walker) make sure the gate personnel know you have a mobility device as they will probably tag it.   You can have a wheelchair pusher take you from the seating area at your gate to the plane door or you can use your walker to get to the plane door.   You would leave your walker near the plane door (where people leave their personal wheelchairs, strollers, etc) and then board the plane.   Your walker will be placed in the cargo area of the plane along with the personal wheelchairs, etc.   When your plane lands, your walker will be delivered near the exit door of the plane.  Again, if you have requested a wheelchair pusher for when you get off the plane, they will be waiting for you outside the plane door and you can hold your walker in your lap or they might be able to attach it to the wheelchair.   The wheelchair pusher can take you to a restroom during all this pushing through the airport, too, if necessary.   Note:  do not check your walker with your luggage; you definitely do not want to take the chance of having it lost or damaged.  

On the ship:   You didn't state what cruise line you will be on but there should be ship personnel at your port stops that can assist you getting up and down the ramp.   If there isn't someone there waiting to help you, wait or ask for someone to help.  The personnel on the tender can load your walker on to and off the tender (you must be able to handle the steps).

You also might consider requesting wheelchair assistance for embarking and disembarking the ship.  The ship has wheelchair pushers who do just this for embarking (day one) and disembarking (last day) the ship.      

• Like 1

That's a pretty comprehensive reply from kokopelli-az.

All I would add is for you to put a label of your own on the walker with your name and "Please Return To Aircraft Door"

Hopefully, this will ensure that it is waiting for you when you get off the plane. Another advantage of booking (free) assistance is that the helpers jump the lines at both baggage drop and security. Also, you will get a lift down if there is no airbridge.

• Like 1

OK, here goes!

Heathrow is HUGE & BUSY!  Handicapped assistance is a PROCESS.

I've departed from there 3 or 4 times in the past 10 yrs. & it is NOT my favorite airport.  You need time & patience!

I always check my walker w/my luggage.  I don't like doing it, but it's way too awkward it manage while being wheeled.  Make sure you have ID tags on the walker.  I also have velcro straps in 2 places to keep it closed.

Tell/remind your airline that you need wheelchair assistance when you check your luggage.  The airline rep will then tell you where to wait for a chair pusher.  (Your wait may be a while.)  The pusher will then take you to a "holding area" where you will then wait to be taken to your gate.  They move you thru security based on your departure time & then to your gate.  You wait in the holding area until it's your turn.  

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at this for months and still confused.  I have a folding electric wheelchair that is good for smooth surfaces and light. I have a Quantum Edge 3 for getting out and about. stable but heavier.  So do I take both and use the folding one at airports but is not that good for tourism, and the Edge 3 for tours. Do I just take the folding one and risk it not being suitable for tours. Do I take the Edge 3 and let the airline look after my mobility on the plane and airports. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 12:46 AM, DRS/NC said:

Heathrow is HUGE & BUSY!  Handicapped assistance is a PROCESS.

I've departed from there 3 or 4 times in the past 10 yrs. & it is NOT my favorite airport.  You need time & patience!

Heathrow is a nightmare for handicapped passengers!  In spite of booking a wheelchair ahead of time I was told several times "sorry, not enough chairs available right now, please follow me"  I can walk a short distance but not the distance they were asking for.  I finally put my foot down and said NO, I booked a wheelchair so go find me a chair!

• Like 1