Oversold Millie Japan is making headlines but some such as "loses on $6K in airfare and hotels" are clickbait

NutsAboutGolf

https://www.businessinsider.com/cruise-ship-overbooked-family-bumped-could-lose-airfare-hotel-money-2023-5

I wanted to post this before someone else does who might say "OMG, $6K loss?" and also want it to be a wakeup call.  First, if you didn't know, X switched to a smaller ship and some people had to get bumped

Despite this story's headline of a "$6K loss", they quote the passenger who states they can't rebook their flights to next year AT THE MOMENT because the airline schedule isn't out yet...So they're NOT out $6K as they could cancel, receive an airline credit and rebook once the schedule comes out

For the wake up call, you overall should never book any travel arrangement that do not allow changes/cancellations unless you're willing to accept the FULL financial loss in an event you need to cancel and that reason isn't covered by a travel insurance policy you may have booked

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Isn't this post click bait, too, then?

Some may think so, some may not; goal was to post it before someone else does and says something like "come on X, you cancelled their sailing, give them $6K" and it goes to 10 pages

Just now, micruiser2002 said:

I thought someone posted a similar article last week and was told by the admin that is against CC rules due to copyright or something.  I can't find the post right now.

Not the first time I've had a thread I started deleted and it probably won't be my last...

8 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

I thought someone posted a similar article last week and was told by the admin that is against CC rules due to copyright or something.  I can't find the post right now.

That was me.  It was ok for me to post the link, but I ran afoul of the rules by pasting portions of the (copy righted) article onto my post.  The thread has been removed.  Here is the link to the WSJ article.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Some may think so, some may not; goal was to post it before someone else does and says something like "come on X, you cancelled their sailing, give them $6K" and it goes to 10 pages

Just teasing.  BTW, your post conforms to the rules and should be ok.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If I were to have been bumped, I would have potentially lost 250,000 AMEX points that I transferred to ANA for our business class airfare. The only way it would have been possible able to keep them would be to plan a land vacation within the next year or book a cruise that I may not really want to be on just to use these miles in my account. The valuation of the points I redeemed is over $15K for the tickets we booked.

Edited by neverlaysup