Review of Britannia as promised

Presto2

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Fingers crossed! In your situation I would have done the same as you and switched to second sitting fixed. 

Having read your previous post. I think in your position I would have a word with the MD. There is usually a time available to discuss dietary requirements. Bearing in mind not all tables for two are suitable. I am sure something could be arranged. Especially as this is a need, not a want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Al_W said:

We have done 2 Azura and 1 Britannia cruises post Covid. No problems at all on Azura but freedom dining wasn’t as good on Britannia when we were on the Baltic last month. Queues over 100 people and waits of over an hour, if we sail on her again we will do 2nd sitting rather than freedom. We used the specialty restaurants more than usual to save the agro. So unless you are happy to share a table and get in quicker this might be something to consider. 

We sailed on Britannia in the Caribbean in an aft balcony room, didn’t like the soot, marked a number of shirts, and when I was reading on the balcony soot landed on my book, just wondered what micro particles you are breathing in, and put me off using the balcony. They installed the canopies after but not sure how much that helps, but I have seen a number of recent reviews saying soot is still being deposited on aft balconies, if there are suits more forward might be worth considering if this might put you off too. 

On another point the housekeeping is not as good anymore, we didn’t have our carpet vacuumed in the 2 weeks on Britannia. When we sailed in Caribbean she was only a couple of years old and the carpet was already grubby with soot, so if they haven’t deep cleaned or changed carpets since dread to think what they are like now. Although I’m sure the suits should be in better condition and have better housekeeping than the standard balcony. 

We loved our Caribbean trip on Britannia, so hope you have an amazing time to celebrate your special anniversary. 

Thanks, I'm sure we will.  I suppose the soot problem must have improved somewhat otherwise we'd have seen a lot more negative comments on these boards. 

5 hours ago, Pencil62 said:

Thanks for the review Presto. We've done 7 or 8 cruises now, all with P&O including 2 post covid last year on Azura and I have to say we haven't really encountered any problems with the 'app' and freedom dining. This December we're off to the Caribbean on Britannia and to celebrate our 30th anniversary we decided to splash out on an aft suite. After reading your comment about the soot on the balcony I'm wondering about trying to swap it for another suite slightly further forward as there are still one or two left. We are on B deck under one of the canopies that have been added to prevent the problem. Do you think it's worth bothering about?

Even though I am one of those who has experienced multiple problems with an aft suite on Britannia, I would stick with your aft suite rather than move to a midships one. 

We cruised before the soot canopies were fitted. You will also be in the Caribbean. Soot travels further from the ship in dry warm weather. The worst conditions are rain at night when the ship is moving as the soot falls more quickly and can catch the balconies. The canopy will help as well. 

We were on F deck and had noise problems from the Live Lounge, especially when there was live music. You won’t hear that on deck B. We also had vibration rattles which, again, will be lessened by being higher up from the propellers. Finally, aft corner suites on D and F deck have a different layout which brings issues that you won’t have. 

Midships suites on Britannia have none of the benefits of the unique outlook afforded by the aft corner suites, have much smaller balconies and will have more passing noise at night as they are in the middle of very long passenger corridors. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Even though I am one of those who has experienced multiple problems with an aft suite on Britannia, I would stick with your aft suite rather than move to a midships one. 

Midships suites on Britannia have none of the benefits of the unique outlook afforded by the aft corner suites, have much smaller balconies and will have more passing noise at night as they are in the middle of very long passenger corridors. 

Yes, those midship suites are really pitiful in terms of their balcony, whereas the aft ones are truly fabulous. We found the soot issue last summer to be slight and was certainly not much of a problem for us. The very occasional spots were eclipsed by the many other joys of that balcony.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pencil62 said:

Thanks for the review Presto. We've done 7 or 8 cruises now, all with P&O including 2 post covid last year on Azura and I have to say we haven't really encountered any problems with the 'app' and freedom dining. This December we're off to the Caribbean on Britannia and to celebrate our 30th anniversary we decided to splash out on an aft suite. After reading your comment about the soot on the balcony I'm wondering about trying to swap it for another suite slightly further forward as there are still one or two left. We are on B deck under one of the canopies that have been added to prevent the problem. Do you think it's worth bothering about?

Sorry didn't see this. We would book an aft suite in a heart beat .. soot or no soot. There will be some but take a flannel to wipe it down and learn from our mistake and ask for it to be cleaned if needs be. We love an aft cabin and always have aft suite envy. Enjoy !