Thessaloniki Questions

benkon

Hello!  We are on the 9/9 Celebrity Infinity cruise to the Greek Isles.  Our first stop is in Thessaloniki on a Sunday.  Should we assume the shops will all be closed on Sunday, or do they open for a large ship in port?

Thanks, in advance, for any help!

• Like 1

Thessaloniki is the second largest city in Greece (after Athens); I doubt whether the arrival of a cruise ship would lead to a special opening of stores....  That said, I also recall a number (but not all) stores being open on a Sunday when I was there. What kind of store are you looking for?

Don't miss some of the wonderful sites in town, such as the Arch and Rotunda of Galerian (a Roman emperor); the White Tower, and the Archaeology Museum.

\there is also Vergina,  for a visit to the tomb of Philip II (Alexander the Great's father)

This is an amazing museum and you can read about it online, also probably many reviews on Tripadvisor.  Highly recommended.This previous thread would be helpful for you to read:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2917427-thessaloniki-do-you-need-to-take-a-tour-or-can-you-just-see-the-sights-un-guided/#comment-64881355

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the great info, cruisemom42 and edinburgher!  We have all of the historical sites/museums on our "to do" list for each port, but I do like to pick up souvenirs!  Everything I've read says the retail type shops are closed on Sunday.  I'm hoping a few might make an exception for a large ship's arrival.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am on that cruise too! At least we get to sleep in that day! it is the only times we not up at 8 to hurry off the ship. I booked a 3 hour private walking tour, but am worried about the heat. Do you have any air conditioned ideas picked out to visit? I do not have a list of what I want to do,

On 6/26/2023 at 9:11 PM, benkon said:

I'm hoping a few might make an exception for a large ship's arrival.

Doubtful that many stores will be open, but do check to see if there are any Sunday markets or craft fairs in the city.  And VERY occasionally in some ports around the world, there may be some stallholders to be found quayside.

Ssomething else to check might be local museums which are open on Sundays as many museums have an attached gift shop area and we have often found that these gift shops offer good quality souvenirs. which are "slightly different from the usual".

13 hours ago, budmeister said:

I am on that cruise too! At least we get to sleep in that day! it is the only times we not up at 8 to hurry off the ship. I booked a 3 hour private walking tour, but am worried about the heat. Do you have any air conditioned ideas picked out to visit? I do not have a list of what I want to do,

Thessaloniki is in Northern Greece, quite a bit farther north than Athens, for example. By September (if that's when your cruise is) the daily high temps will be moderating. The average high temperature for Thessaloniki in September is 81 degrees. 

Visit the Archaelogical Museum for a great overview of history of the area (and A/C!!).

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thessaloniki is in Northern Greece, quite a bit farther north than Athens, for example. By September (if that's when your cruise is) the daily high temps will be moderating. The average high temperature for Thessaloniki in September is 81 degrees. 

Visit the Archaelogical Museum for a great overview of history of the area (and A/C!!).

Thanks! We will.