When to book TK and shorex

kjbacon

We were on a 26 day NZ and OZ cruise a few months ago. I can not remember when I booked TC but I think 4-5 months prior,  Not a big deal, I just checked every week or so and got what I wanted. I also got an extra couple reservations while on the ship. We were able to do this with shared tables.. At the time the shore excursions were more worrisome. 6 weeks prior to the cruise there were no OZ shore excursions listed and I was checking daily. I was not happy.  My TA just kept reassuring me that Seabourn was just locking in their excursions. She was right, one day they just popped up. On a side note the NZ excursions were up for months and they kept canceling, changing ports etc, also worrisome. It was the first season these countries had opened post pandemic. I spent a few months pre cruise wishing I had chosen Regent due to these issues. Boy we were we glad we did not as Regent missed NZ with all the biofoul issues. In the end we had a great time and we were pleasantly surprised by the great shore excursions. We like Regent and Seabourn. We had two Regent WCs booked and canceled by the pandemic. We like Seabourn’s smaller sized ships and are looking forward to trying their expedition ships. I do hope you have a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 2

Wow...this thread has take some weird tangents.  

Back to the original question:

• I booked my September 2023 cruise with a travel agent in November of 2022. 
  • In January I booked my first excursions via the website
  • In February I booked my TK  Grill Dinner via the website
  • I continue to go back to the excursion list because several new ones have been added over the past few months.  In May I booked an excursion that had not been offered when I was looking back in January. 
  • I also see that several excursions I booked are no longer listed. I assume that is because they are sold out.  It may also mean that the excursion was cancelled and they have not yet informed me.  (This actually happened to me on a previous cruise....pissed me off!) 
  • As an aside, I also booked some private excursions using Tours By Locals in February.  I was concerned because I thought it was too early.  IN emails from the tour guides, they assured me it was not too early ( 7 months ahead) and their calendars were already filling up.  

Your milage may vary. 

On 6/8/2023 at 7:53 AM, JPH814 said:

Wow...this thread has take some weird tangents.  

Back to the original question:

• I booked my September 2023 cruise with a travel agent in November of 2022. 
  • In January I booked my first excursions via the website
  • In February I booked my TK  Grill Dinner via the website
  • I continue to go back to the excursion list because several new ones have been added over the past few months.  In May I booked an excursion that had not been offered when I was looking back in January. 
  • I also see that several excursions I booked are no longer listed. I assume that is because they are sold out.  It may also mean that the excursion was cancelled and they have not yet informed me.  (This actually happened to me on a previous cruise....pissed me off!) 
  • As an aside, I also booked some private excursions using Tours By Locals in February.  I was concerned because I thought it was too early.  IN emails from the tour guides, they assured me it was not too early ( 7 months ahead) and their calendars were already filling up.  

Your milage may vary. 

Thanks so much, this is helpful. I’m almost sure that we booked both TK and shorex almost a year out for our first SB cruise. Even that early, some key TK dates and shorex were picked over and unavailable. It may have been eleven months out but it was definitely not 9 months out as our first booking for this second SB cruise that doesn’t have either reservation available yet. We’ve since switched to a different second cruise and that one is also unavailable for booking TK or shorex. The policy of a standardized booking date is preferable to this.