Excursion in Malta

MrToblerone

I am starting a cruise next month and we have a stop in valletta. I am thinking of booking the excursion to Medina however it say it is strenuous. How strenuous is it for those have done this excursion. I am travelling with my mother who is 82 but walks 5kms a day 

Edited by MrToblerone

4 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

I am starting a cruise next month and we have a stop in valletta. I am thinking of booking the excursion to Medina however it say it is strenuous. How strenuous is it for those have done this excursion. I am travelling with my mother who is 82 but walks 5kms a day 

We have taken the excursion to Mdina and it was not strenuous.  You DO have to walk through the town--but if you don't have mobility issues, you should not find it strenuous.  At this point, I can't remember if the beautiful streets there were cobblestone or not. Just make sure you are wearing walking shoes that are comfortable and appropriate.  We absolutely loved Mdina and talk about it often--planning a return trip there someday.  It your mother can walk 5kms a day, she should be able to do this excursion unless it includes something in addition to Mdina that makes it more strenous.

Another option would be taking a taxi to Mdina from Valletta.  I checked back and read that it is about a 35 minutes ride.  We have considered doing that on our next trip there so that we will have more time in that fascinating old capital city. 

I think our excursion included some other sites in addition to Mdina.  Your excursion may be different.  Ours also included a walking tour of Valletta and the famous Knights Templar church that is covered in gold inside. 

This port is one of our very favorites ever.   

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

One other thing.  Malta CAN be very hot.  On our cruise there we had two days in Malta.  The other day was on Gozo.  We enjoyed the walled city there, the town square, and a trip out to see some ancient ruins from prehistoric times.  When we were at the ruins, it was SO hot that I had to step back from the group (and from hearing the guide) and stand under some trees.  I'm fromTexas and used to the heat--so this was quite hot.  I only remember being that hot at this particular site.  

• Like 1

I love Valletta.  We've been fortunate to enjoy Malta during three cruises, and the first involved a shore excursion to Mdina - fascinating!  I very much hope you and your mother are able to take advantage of an excursion there.  Our visit involved a brief walking tour followed by time on our own, which is when we wandered into the little brocante.  There, we unearthed a 3-foot long, cast-iron Maltese toasting fork.  (That we were able to fly home with our souvenir in the overhead bin tells you how old this story is...)

• Like 1

We were just in Malta this last week. We grabbed a cab to Mdina. I think the fare was around 22 euro each way. It is not a difficult city to navigate and being able to do so at your own pace, for us, was the way to go. Do not miss the Cathedral!  There was a huge MSC ship in port so it was jammed. Once their tours finished Mdina was what we had hoped it would be and more. Same energy change in Valletta once it sailed. Would go back to Malta in a heartbeat. Would have loved two days to also visit Gozo. The archeological museum in Malta, was fascinating with relics back to 4500bc. The cathedral was jaw dropping as well. Have a great time however you choose to explore!

• Like 5

We loved our trip to Mdina and the St. John's tour but the real highlight for me  are the Carrivagio paintings The Beheading of St John the Baptist, and St. Jerome in the cathedral.  I hadn't done enough  homework prior to our visit but just fell in love with Malta.  

• Like 4

The Carrivagio exhibit was unbelievable in Valletta. I did not expect to see that either! I purchased the tickets online for several cathedrals including St John’s, Mdina St Paul’s, and St Marks during our pre stay in Venice. Sure saved a lot of waiting in line time. 

• Like 2

We decided to book the Seabourn excursion to Mdina and Valletta.

SLSD we do also overnight in Valletta.

I think I read you are cruising this month? Please enjoy. My mother and I both have covid at present for the first time , better now than in 5 weeks !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

We decided to book the Seabourn excursion to Mdina and Valletta.

SLSD we do also overnight in Valletta.

I think I read you are cruising this month? Please enjoy. My mother and I both have covid at present for the first time , better now than in 5 weeks !

So sorry to hear that you and your mother both have Covid.   We had it for the first time last September following a driving trip to Santa Fe, NM.  I hope you have a speedy recovery.  

And yes, we board Ovation tomorrow in Copenhagen.  We arrived in Copenhagen yesterday and have been enjoying the city.  In about an hour and a half, we plan to walk over to Tivoli Gardens to admire some of the history of that place.  I wish it was not Saturday---as I know it will be crowded.  We didn't go last time we were in Copenhagen and because we are within easy walking distance this time, we are going to go this time. 

I think an overnight in Valletta will be fun and the Seabourn excursion to Mdina is a good choice.   

• Like 1

I decided the excursion is better with my mother , my husband and I would probably get a taxi.

Before covid my husband and I started a Seabourn cruise in Amsterdam and it finished in Copenhagen , a beautiful city.

If I remember correctly you were on the sane cruise but we never met .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrToblerone said:

I decided the excursion is better with my mother , my husband and I would probably get a taxi.

Before covid my husband and I started a Seabourn cruise in Amsterdam and it finished in Copenhagen , a beautiful city.

If I remember correctly you were on the sane cruise but we never met .

Yes, we were on that cruise, and, as I recall we even stayed in the same hotel in Amsterdam--The Ambassade.  I think that is how it is spelled.  

22 minutes ago, MrToblerone said:

Haha ,Yes that is correct . Was a great cruise.You must be excited , we still have five weeks to wait.

We are very happy that we begin our cruise tomorrow.  I'm going to start a thread a bit later this evening.  

• Like 3