Valdez cruise port canceled on NCL Spirit after today (6/13/23)

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

You can also book private shore excursions in both Sitka and ISP.

What about the existing independently booked excursions to the other ports (e.g. Skagway, ISP, Sitka) that are.now.being visited on different dates?    Are those people just screwed?  "They should have taken advantage of Free At Sea and gotten $50 off when booking through NCL"?

I can't imagine how screwed I would have been if I had actually booked this. 

3 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

What about the existing independently booked excursions to the other ports (e.g. Skagway, ISP, Sitka) that are.now.being visited on different dates?    Are those people just screwed?  "They should have taken advantage of Free At Sea and gotten $50 off when booking through NCL"?

Most reputable tour operators have refund policies, often as late as 24 hrs - they are most likely fully aware of the schedule changes and are probably just rescheduling as they can.  If rescheduling isn't an option, then they will refund.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tetleytea said:

As a general rule, most independent tour guides  will refund you if the ship doesn't dock. When NCL cancelled many of their Dominican Republican ports, all of the local guides gave refunds.  Someone on my cruise in January first realized it was a problem when they contacted local guides in the DR and instead of talking about possible tour options, they talked about their generous refund policies in their initial emails.  However, museums and aquariums can be nonrefundable, although that might be covered by cruise insurance especially a private policy.   Not sure if the NCL trip insurance would cover it, but a private trip insurance policy should.  People do need to be careful about checking with independent tour operators prior to booking, especially on NCL.

5 hours ago, tetleytea said:

I’m not sure why you directed this at me. This is a general discussion.

12 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I’m not sure why you directed this at me. This is a general discussion.

Didn't.  Just quoted you.  You mentioned private [independent] excursions, and Norwegian is moving the port days around.

6 hours ago, tetleytea said:

This is our fifth consecutive NCL cruise with port changes. Sept. 2022 -Getaway -Virginia Beach removed with little notice - no port added and no explanation given. March 2023- Gem. Bermuda removed due to weather.  May 2023 - Great Stirrup Cay removed due to weather. May 2023- Escape - notified after boarding that Great Stirrup Cay and Dominican Republic would swap days and no reason given. 

I’m reluctant to book private excursions as you mentioned as there is no guarantee the funds would be refunded.  I have previously booked private excursions in the Mediterranean without any issues. 

We would love to book exclusions for Sitka a week from now but it’s not available to book until we get on the ship as we are being told it won’t be available to book on the app prior to boarding. 

58 minutes ago, Saileli said:

On Spirit June 14 to 21 from Seward. Learned of cancellation of Valdez when we boarded  and there was no explanation from NCL staff.as to why. 

I'm really sorry to hear that. We embark on June 21st. How is the cruise so far? 

If you ever have the opportunity of driving to Valdez from Anchorage do it! The scenery along the way is incredible and it's an easy, non-congested drive. The town itself is very small and not much to see but the excursions to the glaciers are so worth it.

As far as NCL cancelling ports it seems this is their new way of doing business. We are scheduled to visit Venice on the Gem in August and rumor is that the port has been removed. The few recent cruises did not get the notice until the day before the change. NCL seems to be selling cruises with no intention of going to some of the ports.

• Like 1